PDA

View Full Version : Glock recall info

beastman
October 15, 2002, 09:47 AM
I just thought I would create a new thread for people that have called Glock and found out info on the frame recall thing.

This thread is not for bashing or praising Glock, its products, or customer service. Bashing and defending is being nicely handled in other threads. This is only for info obtained about the frame problem from Glock. No information here should be taken as gospel and everyone should call Glock at some point to make sure their guns are not affected.

Here goes:

first, the phone number: 866-225-4098

for the models I checked (the ones I own)

G17 - EZT prefix NOT affected
G35 - EEF prefix NOT affected

Again, everyone should check their own. No one here is responsible for the information posted here. Look here to do a spot check, but at some point call Glock. Blah, blah, disclaimer, blah, blah.

Handgun
October 15, 2002, 12:53 PM
G17 SN "EKT 2XX US" is affected.

PeteyPete
October 15, 2002, 01:40 PM
They said my G17 EZTXXXUS was unaffected, i may call back later though, someone on Glocktalk called twice and got two different answers.:confused:

Mntneer357
October 15, 2002, 02:34 PM
I called in yesterday. I was told that my Glock 30 .45 ACP serial number EWTxxxUS was "not affected."

Kermit
October 15, 2002, 03:18 PM
I called this AM. My G36 w/ SN "EVR***" is affected. :(

jrpeterman
October 15, 2002, 03:22 PM
Just got off the phone from Glock. Have 2 Model 23s with EGD prefixes. Fortunately according to Glock, the gun frames are not affected. Thanks for the postings fellas. Better safe than sorry. The folks at Glock were pleasant and efficient in providing the information.

M58
October 15, 2002, 04:35 PM
E series G34 goes back.
9mm

Preacherman
October 15, 2002, 08:07 PM
G31 EWE999US not affected;
G23 EPR999US IS affected and goes back;
G30 EML999US IS affected and goes back.

Also, the lady I spoke to at Glock said that some pistols BEFORE and AFTER the "E"-prefix serial numbers ARE affected by the recall. The determining factor is date of manufacture, rather than serial number in the "E" range. So, if you have a late-"D"-series or early-"F"-series serial number, you had better check with Glock... I have a DWW G19 I must follow up on. (Sigh... :( )

OutLaw
October 15, 2002, 08:33 PM
DKP*** Glock 22-Good
EHA*** Glock 19-Good

biere
October 15, 2002, 09:03 PM
Glock 20 erv is affected
glock 19 edm not affected
glock 29 egn not affected

Ironhand
October 16, 2002, 11:36 AM
Model 22, ERX---US is affected, but they told me they are not taking returns on undamaged guns in this series. I was advised to 'wait until it breaks'. YMMV.

krept
October 16, 2002, 12:07 PM
I work next to the risk management consultant for the local Capitol Police and the AG's office. I informed him, he called Glock and a rep. told him to have the armorer look at the rear rails for cracks. Rep said they are going to replace pistols only with cracks... and this IS for a LE.

Also was told that the pistols they tested continued to function for 4,000+ rounds after the initial "failure." Interesting.

Two other agencies I spoke with (know a couple guys) issue SIGs. The third agency allows personal weapons, will tell the guys using Glocks to call in.

warhammer357
October 16, 2002, 03:11 PM
Well, had I known this,, the last gun I purchased would have been a Smith and Wesson revolver instead of the Glock 19 I keep by my bedside. This is corporate irresponsibility to the max, in my book.

notos&w
October 16, 2002, 03:17 PM
i was upset too but after talking to glock im not nearly as perturbed.

the official statement i got from Glock 2 hrs ago said: only guns manufactured btw sept 2001 and may 2002 are affected and of those guns only 1 in 25,000 is likely to have trouble. there is no recall. the problem is in those few guns which do experience problems, the rear frame rail will break but will not cause the gun to fail to fire. the problem was detected by glock's own factory testing of each gun that leaves.

warhammer357
October 16, 2002, 08:08 PM
I think the @$$-holes at GLUNK are a pack of irresponsible liars. How can you believe a company that refuses to admit it sold defective products and refused to CONTACT the owners of said product who filled out there factory registration in the first place?
How pleasant would that CHEESY CORPORATE COVERUP look if it were exposed on 60 minutes?
I can see it now, Mike Wallace in that bold voice talking about innocent law enforcement officers who have a defective weapon and the irresponsible company that KNOWINGLY sold these weapons, by the THOUSANDS!!! refused to contact the owners and let them know of a serious potential DEFECT?
There is ABSOLUTELY NO VALID EXCUSE for such behavior.
I could care less than a rodent's hind quarters if an ETHICAL recall cost them BILLIONS of dollars. They screwed up big time and they should be big boys and admit it and fix the problem. It should not cost ANY GLUNK OWNER 2 cents by the way. I have seen Remington and Winchester do recalls for years in an honest and above board way. What? GLUNK has to LIE to maintain it's reputation with the brain dead shills that extoll the phony virtues of its questionable product? Slam fires. Phase 2 jams. Now breaking guide rails? What is coming next? As a twice GLUNK owner, I am afraid to ask?????
And all the brainless GLUNK-shills that troll these boards need to be men and fess up. Had Browning, Colt, Sig, Beretta or any other company pulled such a no brainer you would all be giving them down the road for being CHEEZE WEASELS.
The Glock pistol may be a good design, but it appears the GLUNK company is coming up short on the manufacturing end and is absolutely CLUELESS when it comes to good managment practices.
This is a total pack of nonsense. I will never purchase a GLUNK product again, unless the GLUNK company starts being a little more careful on the manufacturing end and a lot more concientious on the corporate end.
Had AMT or Auto Ordnance or some other company that doesnt have DEEP Pockets thanks to LE contracts pulled this boner all the GLUNK shills would be howling in glee. I doubt they would come to the defense of such a CRIMINALLY IRRESPONSIBLE company. In this day and age of FERAL TRIAL ATTORNEYS I hope a class action lawsuit comes out of this crap.
Apparently GLUNK refuses to learn anything.
If anything the plight of civillian owners should be a higher importance. We dont have a radio connecting us to the station, a back up strapped to our ankle and a partner assisting us if we wind up in harms way with nothing but GLUNK IMPERFECTION to depend on.
I think GLUNK owes a lot of people an apology.
It is funny, they refuse to contact us owners who filled out the factory registration cards, but I bet big money that if a confiscation came down the pike the CORPORATE WEENIES at GLUNK would bend over backwards to hand over the information to Big Brother.

Tamara
October 16, 2002, 10:14 PM
...supposed to be a simple list of "Serial # XXXXXX is affected/not affected".

Please confine (carping on what a sack of weasels/praise for what a great bunch of folks) the people at Glock, Inc. are to the eleventy-seven other concurrently-running threads.

Thank you.

Gillman
October 16, 2002, 10:28 PM
Thomas, a real nice CS rep, returned my call with the news on my G26, SN # ESE###US....... which is in the "affected batch".

But he said that they would prefer that I just keep the undamaged gun (since it's only a 1 in 25,000 chance that the frame will crack) and then if I see a problem EVER in the future, to return it and they would make it right.
G-Man

New_comer
October 16, 2002, 11:03 PM
I posted a poll so that we could have a tangible value amongst TFLr's representing this defective frame issue. I am hoping it would be merged to this thread, to allow us to better appreciate the extent.

Should you wish to participate, click here and vote: Poll on defective frame (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135465)

Tamara
October 17, 2002, 10:11 AM
btt

Hard Ball
October 17, 2002, 11:43 AM
Just out of idle curiosity Tamara, what does "btt' mean?:confused:

Tamara
October 17, 2002, 01:14 PM
"back to top"

Just want to keep the list of "Recall = yes", "Recall = no" serial numbers handy for folks, here.

OutLaw
October 17, 2002, 08:54 PM
EHA*** Glock 19-Not affected.

Sod
October 17, 2002, 09:05 PM
What recall are you talking about????
I have a glock bought it new.
Registered it.
I didn't get a recall notice.
Did you?

Actions speak louder than words.
Glock just told it's customers to get bent!!!

I hope they get sued into the ground for there blatant , disreguard of human life.
The live's of the very customers who made them, who they are!!

Tamara
October 17, 2002, 09:32 PM
...supposed to be a simple list of "Serial # XXXXXX is affected/not affected".

Please confine (carping on what a sack of weasels/praise for what a great bunch of folks) the people at Glock, Inc. are to the eleventy-seven other concurrently-running threads.

Thank you.

:)

beastman
October 17, 2002, 10:39 PM
Thanks, Tamara. It is much better coming from you than me.

Also, I think that (time permitting) I will try to compile this info into a single list.

Rob62
October 18, 2002, 06:29 AM
The below information was posted by me over on Glocktalk, but that thread has been locked. This is an update of that post. I've included all SN's I could find here and on GT.

Hope it helps some people.

Rob
----------------------
With so many threads on this subject I figured what the heck, lets start another one :-). Anyway I went through all the posts I could find and consolidated the effected and non effected serial numbers for the frame slide rail upgrade / recall. Seems like some serial prefixes are close and yet one is ok and the other is not - interesting.

An interesting side note and somewhat on topic, when I called Glock Smyrna customer service this AM and asked about the imported dates of 2 glocks, a G17 EDH### and a G23 DRX### I was told by "Tony" that he could only tell me both were imported in July 99 or later, he did not have any later import serial number data. This seems very suspect to me, but I didn't question him further. Things that make 'ya go Hmmm.

I'll try to keep this list updated as I'm made aware of either guns that are ok or need to be returned to Glock. I will not list any Glocks that are OK with serial numbers beginning with anything other than an "E" prefix. If I get confirmation of a Glock being recalled under this program with an SN other than beginig with "E" I'll post that info however. I think we have pretty much determined that all of these upgradeable Glocks all start within the "E" serial number range.

If I read the below limited data correctly effected Glocks, those needing to be returned to Smyrna, fall somewhere between the EHG and EVX serial number range with a few exceptions.

Note on “EVL” SN prefixes a G26 is OK yet a G30 has to go back.

=============================================
Serial numbers not effected by upgrade (These are reported OK)

G22 - EAS

G17 - EBL

G19 - ECG, G30 - ECX, G23 – ECS, G34 - ECT

G17 - EDH , G20 – EDM, G23 – EDX, G26 - EDZ

G32 – EED, G34 – EEE, G35 – EEF, G26 - EET

G35 – EFD, G26 – EFF, Unk – EFK, G19 - EFW3

G26 – EGG, G29 – EGN, G23 – EGT, G17 - EGY

G19 – EHA, G32 – EHG, G23 – EHH, G34 – HER, G26 – EVL, G17 - EVX9

G26 – EWB, G31 – EWE, G22 – EWG, G23 – EWK, G27 – EWP, G30 - EWT

G23 – EXP, G26 - EXT7

G17 - EYH5, G26 - EYZ

G30 – EZC, G17 - EZT

NOTE to the above list. Did anybody else measure their rear frame slide rails of OK Glocks? If so did you get a measurement of .395 inches? Would be interesting to see if its the length only or the angle at which they are made.

=============================================

Serial numbers effected (These are being sent back to Smyrna for the precautionary upgrade.)

G36 – EGX

G17 – EKT, G21 - EKZ

G23 – ELG, G31 - ELN

G26 – EMG, G27 – EMH, G30 – EML, G35 – EMN, G34 - EMX

Unk – ENG, G26 – ENH, G30 - ENM

G19 – EPC, G21 – EPF, G23 – EPP, G23 – EPR, G26 – EPT, G27 – EPV, G30 - EPW

G23 – ERP, G19 - ERU4, G20 – ERV, G22 - ERX

G23 – ESB, G26 – ESE, G30 - ESG2, G34 - ESK

G32 - ESH

G30 – ETK, G26 – ETF, G21 - ETY

Unk – EUD, G23 – EUE, G21 – EUZ, G19 - EUX2

G22 - EVC7, G26 – EVK, G30 - EVL5, G35 – EVN, G30 – EVP

Regards,
Rob

LiveWire
October 18, 2002, 09:28 AM
Folks: there is no reason to succumb to herd mentality.

Odds that a Glock in the affected range will ever break or seriously malfunction are no greater than 1 in 25,000. So what's the big deal?

I've put over 500 rounds through my "suspect" EKT (half of which were hot Cor-Bon loads) without any detriment to the slide, guide rails, frame, or anything.

"But... but... but..." :(

I am absolutely sure that if such problems became an "issue" every time they occured, and were publicized to the extent this one was, everyone would end up returning their SIGs (cheesy slide), CZs (sub-standard barrel ramp), Kahrs (creeping trigger pin), Berettas (cheesy slide), S&Ws (bad timing), Tauruses, or Tauri (clunky transfer bar) and various 1911s (anything from a lousy MIM sear to a shoddy magazine floorplate).

Stop. Sit back. Take a deep breath. Relax. If your Glock whines, bites, urinates, defecates, or dies in your hand after the initial 200 rounds, get it exchanged. If not, you'll probably never have to.

krept
October 18, 2002, 12:05 PM
I called Glock yesterday morning, just received a call back. A very nice lady told me my G27 serial DZB... is NOT affected. Good stuff, just had to make sure.

LiveWire,

I'm sure your Glock will be OK. I'm sure many peoples Glocks will be OK. Glocks are great guns.

Again, I believe that the intention of this thread is to state which models Glock said might need to be upgraded vs. those that do not. I appreciate the information, as I work peripherally with the DPS, AGs office and Capitol Police among other agencies that issue firearms here. If there is a POTENTIAL for liability here I want to know about it. I'm sorry if others are freaking out about this. Things happen. If you are a Crown Victoria fan (local PD has them all over the place) I'm sure you would want to know that an upgrade is available for the fuel tank BEFORE the good guys get cooked in what would otherwise be a benign collision.

nels0360
October 18, 2002, 12:27 PM
Glock 19 EVZ is not affected.

I believe the date of manufacture was 6/2002

Hard Ball
October 18, 2002, 01:35 PM
The very neat number "! in 25,000" is suspect. The New Mexico LE agency had four failures out of 330 pistols. Do a little analysis. If the 1 in 25,000 figure is correct, then the odds that they would have one failure is 1/25,000. The odds that they would have two failures is 1/25,000 X 1/25.000. For 4 pistols it would be one divided by 25,000X25,000X25,000x25,000.. A very small number indeed.:confused:

beastman
October 18, 2002, 03:14 PM
PLEASE save this thread for info only. Defend or destroy Glock's reputation on the other threads dedicated to that purpose.

Lets just keep this a list of what is affected and what is not so that people can look up their guns.

DOCSpanky
October 18, 2002, 04:13 PM
G23 ERPxxxUS IS AFFECTED

Will wait for hype stampede to die but it will go eventually.

Nice people at Glock.

rennaissancemann
October 21, 2002, 01:43 PM
EAW***US

Not Affected

Joe Demko
October 28, 2002, 03:05 PM
Glock 19 DMHXXX = NOT AFFECTED

70-101
October 28, 2002, 03:32 PM
My Son owns two Glocks a model 23 and a model 29. He was advised by Glock this morning,that the model 23 is effected by the recall. I no longer believe Glocks numbers in this matter.And my Son called me this afternoon and said, "You were right pop, I should never of bought a Glock".