PDA

View Full Version : PS Grip vs. regular grip. What are the advantages?

Greg D
October 11, 2002, 07:46 PM
Okay, I've read quite a few threads lately about pistols grip shotgun's and I'm curious what the reasons are behind them. I'm not talking about a pistol grip without a stock at all either.

I'm assuming that maybe the pistol grip is easier to hold on a sling? But I'm sure that I'm totally wrong :(

So what's the deal with them?

Coronach
October 11, 2002, 09:38 PM
Make sure you're differentiating between PG-only and PG-stocks. Most of us here think that PG-only is pretty silly, and the vast majority of negative press is directed to that configuration. PG-stocks are a whole other matter.

I myself don't like them, it makes the gun feel wrong. Its mostly a personal preference thing.

Mike

C.R.Sam
October 11, 2002, 10:47 PM
PG and buttstock kinda neutral. Some like em and do well with them. Others don't.

Great for the manufacturer tho....the tactical look allows them to get more money for a "Tactical" gun.

Sam

Al Thompson
October 12, 2002, 06:10 AM
IMHO, there is no great difference. Mainly a matter of feel and personal preference. I suspect that folks who grew up with ARs like them better. A close friend has one on his duty 1100 and loves it.

Dave McC
October 12, 2002, 02:13 PM
There was an M-14 with E-2 stock I was fond of, used during times I'm not fond of at all. I found the stock a little less comfortable than the standard one,but used it with good effect.

I've done little shooting with PG equipped shotguns, some with the less than acceptable Remfolder. I do better with a standard stock.

Little gain nor loss seems to occur with a PG equipped stock, except for those with tang safeties like the BPS and Mossy's line. I'd be tempted to chalk this up to personal preference....

Bruce626
October 15, 2002, 11:46 AM
I changed from a standard (no-PG) buttstock to a full stock with pistol grip. Even though the PG-equipped buttstock makes operation of the Mossberg tang-mounted safety a bit awkward, I prefer it for two reasons:

(1) it seems to make it easier for me to hold the SG up on target while doing tactical reloads with my weakside hand, especially during day-long, many round courses; and

(2) it allows a better grip for my sweaty hands to pull the butt tight into my shoulder pocket, again after many, many rounds.

Opie-IN
October 15, 2002, 11:14 PM
I can shoot a little better with the full pistol grip, I dont feel the recoil as much, and it just feels more like a part of my body for some reason. That said, I wouldnt cry if all I had was my standard stocked 870.

Here they are........