View Full Version : another "perfect" upland gun

October 2, 2002, 12:48 AM
I've recently had a chance to handle a larger than average selection of sporting shotguns and I think I have met the next "perfect" upland gun.
It's a Berretta 391 Urika 20g with a 26" barrel. very sweet, fast, and light. I can go up to 3" as needed and switch to my 390 12g for late season pheasants when more punch is required.
The gun budget is a little lean right now but I'll find a way. just have to figure out what to sell.

Dave McC
October 2, 2002, 04:31 AM
KC, for decades I'd buy a gun, mess with it for a while, then sell same and get something else. These days, the only guns I sell are those that don't work. There's a dozen guns out there someplace I never should have let go of...

Get that 391 20 if you want, just don't sell anything to do so. If you have to wait a bit for it, so be it.

October 2, 2002, 08:38 AM
It's a sweet little shotgun to be sure. One of the guys at our local club bought one for his young son and it's a trim, light, delightful gun.

If it weren't for a fixation with breaking guns, I'd have one in my gun safe for sure. If Beretta ever made this gun in 28 gauge I'd be first in line.

October 2, 2002, 12:34 PM
Yup---that's a nice gun alright------I liked the youth model even better----even though the stock is just a touch too small.

The 24in barrel and shorter stock seemed very light and handy---too bad I dropped a bundle on 20ga 687 last year----otherwise I'd have a reason to get one.

October 2, 2002, 12:45 PM
I recently shot one as well. What a nice shotgun!!!!! It handled superbly, and hit most everything for me. I shoot a Browning Gold Hunter 20, and liked the Beretta very nearly as well. If the Beretta had the speed load feature it would almost be a dead heat.

The 391 20ga had a hard time with light loads, as in 7/8 oz @1050 FPS, but had less than a case through it when I shot it so I expect it will loosen up some with more use. My BGH will eat loads of 3/4 oz @1050 for comparison, but it also has many many cases through it. Light loads are not a factor for a hunting gun anyway, if your focus is hunting it will be reliable right out of the box.

October 3, 2002, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement!
I'm hoping to have one in the stable by the time the season opens.