PDA

View Full Version : lengthening an 870 express synthetic stock

Popsicle
September 14, 2002, 12:45 PM
I think I figured out my sometimes on, sometimes off shooting with my 870 express synthetics. The L.O.P. is too short. I just picked up an 870TC with a 15" L.O.P. and broke a 50 straight with it first time out. Also, I shoot my Browning pumps, which have a slightly longer L.O.P. better and with more consistency. Do any of you know of any ways to increase the pull on the factory stock? I have thought about buying an inexpensive slip on recoil pad (Pachmayr) from wal-mart to experiment with. It is a 1" pad, which would put my express L.O.P. at 15" the same as my trap gun. What do you guys think? Is this a viable solution? Thanks in advance!

Pat Brophy

Al Thompson
September 14, 2002, 03:17 PM
That would work like a charm. I've used them before - too bad someone dosen't make them in black.

Dave McC
September 15, 2002, 09:41 AM
A slide on is the cheapest approach, and may work very well.

Check with Pachmyer, they may have a fitted pad for the synthetic stock that's longer than standard, and may fit right in.

Or,I have some self adhesive neoprene that Wonderful Wife bought from a arts and crafts supplier. It's a sheet, and can be scissored and layered to the right length, then trimmed easily.
Of course, one covers the last layer with a thin scrap of leather like deerskin or goatskin.

S'funny, my TB was what convinced me that longer stocks are the way to go for me.

Al Thompson
September 15, 2002, 03:22 PM
Just got back from Wal-Mart. They have the slip on pads in black - new item. About 15 bucks IIRC. HTH

Popsicle
September 15, 2002, 06:59 PM
I just picked up the last black one Wal-Mart in my area had. Put it on my 16 ga. express and I like the way it feels. Heck, it doesn't even look bad. Also now when I look down the rib all I see is the bead, not the top of the rib and the bead. I hope my shooting improves with this modification. I want one for my 12 ga. express synthetic also, but all they have left is the brown colored pad. I guess I might have to learn patience... or just get the brown one and deal with it! Thanks!

Pat Brophy