PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. "I'm thinking...

HARDBALL
September 12, 2002, 07:44 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking that the Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag with a OAL of about 33 inches, weighing in at about 5 3/4 lbs., with a barrel lenght of 16 inches, holding 8 shots of 44 Mag, and being a "flat" rifle,
just might be THE best COMPACT,serious, hard hitting, 100-150 yard (or close range!) rifle out there. Sort of a BIG handgun if you will. I am thinking this type of arm would store nicely (even in a small car or truck) for handy access. If I didn't already own a bolt action hunting rifle, I might opt for the Marlin 336 in .30-.30 (with it's 20 inch barrel) and it's less expensive (buy almost anywhere) ammo. However, I am thinking that the 44 Mag being 4 inches shorter in OAL,lighter,etc. MIGHT be a better choice for both hunting the thick woods of New England and for a handy DEFENCE rifle.
Ummmmmm...I am betting that the cost of the 44 Mag ammo is four times the cost of .30-.30 ammo. Well...I'll say this much...If MARLIN made a .30-.30 with the same stats as the Winchester TRAPPER type rifle, I might buy that just because of the aforementioned buying of ammo. Tough choice...your thoughts. Thanks. HARDBALL

Spectre
September 12, 2002, 08:20 PM
I don't think you'd really notice the extra 4" of bl. I was actually thinking today that I should buy the 20" bl .44 Marlin, some day...

I have the Marlin 1895G (18" bl), but I think I might go for the 22" bl version, were I to do it over again.

JohnKSa
September 12, 2002, 09:06 PM
I handled one of those rifles in a gunshop.

I'm not a big fan of pistol caliber rifles, but if I were ever going to make an exception, that would be the first one I'd buy.

Very nice handling and SURPRISINGLY short--if there's a better "truck rifle" I'm not sure what it would be.

Fish Springs
September 12, 2002, 09:12 PM
The Marlin 1894 Guide Gun is exacly the short range, compact rifle for the deep woods and as a general hiking rifle. It is much more compact that the common 1894 Win in 30/30 all though I like this rifle also it is physically larger. It is nicely accurate to 100 yards also.

Of all the odd, out of the way places I've been there has always been 240 grain 44 Mag, 150 Grain 30/30 and a bunch of .30/06 ammo to be had.

The inherant political correctness of a wood stocked lever gun chambered for a pistol cartridge makes this one a fine urban rifle in places where a pistol of anykind would be a problem. Or where black rifles are not available.

PaulTX
September 12, 2002, 10:17 PM
I have a Marlin 1894P with an Ashely Outdoors scout scope mount and a Leupold 2x EER scope on it. Very nice!

I can shoot .44 specials at 800 fps or go up to .44 magnums at nearly 2,200 fps*.

* 22 grains of 2400, 240 gr. hard cast LSWC, CCI large pistol primers - average 2,195 fps with a muzzle energy of about 2,500.

k77/22rp
September 12, 2002, 10:43 PM
Thats one helluva load there Paul. I didnt know you could achieve such velocity with .44 mag

HARDBALL
September 13, 2002, 05:56 AM
Hi JohnKSa (and fellow posters),

Thank you all for your replies. John, I am in agreement with you...that is to say, even though I to am not a big fan of a Pistol caliber rifle, this SUPRISINGLY small rifle has a LOT going for it!
Truth be known...I've always wanted a lever action rifle...I guess it must be due to all those old Cowboy movies I watched growning up as a kid in the mid 50's and 60's lol. Thanks again.

HARDBALL

treeprof
September 13, 2002, 08:52 AM
.30-30 ammo goes for $10-12/20 for basic Win, Fed, and Rem loads. You can buy new Georgia Arms .44 in a number of configurations for $16.50/50, so .44 cost won't be an issue. I have a Marlin 1894P and a 336LTS (a 16" .30-30) and 4" does make a difference, esp. in confined spaces.

TN-popo
September 13, 2002, 04:12 PM
I've got an 1894P and absolutely love it.

Spectre
September 13, 2002, 05:24 PM
4" does make a difference, esp. in confined spaces
:D

HARDBALL
September 13, 2002, 05:58 PM
Hi Treeprof,

Oh man...I didn't know Marlin made a 336 with a 16 inch barrel.
Is it an old(er) model or is it custom made? How does your 336 compare in AOL,weight,recoil,etc. vs. the 1894 44 Mag.?
I am a fan of COMPACT type arms...I'm not sure why...I just am.
I once handled a friends Winchester Trapper in 45 long Colt and I just couldn't believe how handy it was. I've wanted something like it ever since. Maybe I am just getting old but...I just don't like to carry big/heavy rifles. Where I hunt, it is VERY thick woods and YES...(all joking aside) not only does four inchs make a BIG difference in barrel lenght but...so does the two inch difference in a 18" vs. a 20" barrel. I hunt with a Remington 700 ADL YOUTH model in .308 (a inexpensive/lighter weight rifle with a 20 inch barrel). I really wanted the Model Seven with the 18" barrel but didn't have the extra money for the Seven at the time. Anyway, I could kick myself now as the Model Seven no longer comes with a 18" barrel but has become a 20" barrel. The two inch difference DOES make a big difference trying to move through some real tight brush. I must admit though, I handled the Ruger 77 with a short barrel and a VERY short OAL (.308) and it appears to be a fine rifle. If I didn't already have the 700 youth, I might consider it. Oh Hell...I just want a NEW toy as I haven't bought anything (gun related) in a LONG time. Today it's the Marlin...tomorrow...who knows lol.
Thanks again for everyone who has responded.

HARDBALL

PaulTX
September 13, 2002, 09:08 PM
k77/22rp,

You can attain much better velocities with hard cast lead. I couldn't drive a jacketed bullet nearly that fast. I worked up to this load very carefully. Elmer Keith used 22 grains of 2400 is his magnum pistols. I believe he used 18.5 grains of 2400 in 44 special!

cratz2
September 14, 2002, 02:35 AM
PaulTX wrote: I believe he used 18.5 grains of 2400 in 44 special!

And he blew up quite a few revolvers getting there.

Al Thompson
September 14, 2002, 07:49 AM
I've had one for almost 20 years. Mine has worn a 2.5 power Weaver scope, Lyman peep sights and now has a set of Ashley Ghost Ring sights.

It is one of my favorite rifles. I use the Winchester 240 JSP white box lloads for deer/hogs. I think the JSP expands, but I have yet to recover one.

Accuracy with the Ghost Ring sights is about 4 inches at 100 y. My personal max range is about 75 yards due to my desire to place the bullets "exactly" where I want them. In the thick woods or swamps, dim light usually keeps me from trying the longer shots.

The Winchester 240 JSPs run about 1800 (+) fps and for a real blast, the UMC 180 JSPs run about 2200 fps with excessive muzzle flash/blast.

One word of warning - the rifle will not handle as high pressure loads as well as a revolver. A couple of loads that were fine in my Redhawk locked up my Marlin.

HTH

PaulTX
September 14, 2002, 11:36 PM
cratz2,

I've never put 18.5 grains of 2400 in a 44 special case!! But don't have any problems with 22 grains in a magnum case with a 240 grain hard cast LSWC.

Gumbo
September 14, 2002, 11:48 PM
Does Marlin still use the micro groove rifling? I have a 1895S that is about 6 years old and it has the micro groove. I cannot really shoot much lead because the rifling gets congested with fouling if I do. It is a pain to clean once it gets foulded too. Nothing but jacketed bullets for my baby. I would consider buying another one if they went with the standard rifling.

nascarnhlnra
September 15, 2002, 10:49 AM
According to my 2002 Marlin catalog all the 1894's & 1895's have deep-cut ballard -type rifling.

treeprof
September 16, 2002, 10:42 AM
Hardball - Sorry for the late reply.

The LTS was made in 1988-1989, abt 2700 of them. I've only seen 2 in shops, both w/in the same week. I bought mine a few mos ago, and the other one is still for sale, but overpriced at $440 (w/a red-dot scope on it, of all things). My understanding is that the LTS was basically a late 80's version of the old Marauder that was around in the 60's or thereabouts.

OAL is about the same as the 1894P. Recoil is very manageable. A bit more than the .44 if I recall, but I haven't shot my long guns much the past year (other than sighting in the LTS) as my shoulder was still recovering from some surgery.

As far as 4" in a confined space, I was thinking about a little impromptu test I did inside my truck when I was loading up some guns to hit the range. Basically, the 16 inchers are short enuf so that they can be rotated towards either window w/the rifle butt resting on the seat (i.e. OAL is less than distance from seat to headliner). Not that you'd often need to (much less want to) fire a rifle out both windows from inside your vehicle, but hey, it was one of those things that came to mind at the time. Bbl length also makes a big difference moving about the house if you needed to clear a room (yes, my 1894 is one of my house guns. Neighbors are few and far between.)

HARDBALL
September 16, 2002, 06:45 PM
Hi treeprof,

Dude...I like the way you think! Excellent points! Thanks for the information on your Marlin, it sounds sweet. I also live (more or less) in the sticks here in Maine and your points are very valid.
Oh...I gotta save my pennies for a Marlin. Thanks again.

HARDBALL

Mannlicher
September 16, 2002, 08:43 PM
I have owned a 1894S for some time now. I have found it to be a great little heavy cover rifle. Comes up quick, is accurate,and the Speer 270 grain GDSP I like is deadly on deer.

I have an old Weaver K2.5 mounted on mine.

Maxim
September 17, 2002, 01:04 AM
Heck, I would like to find an original Winchester M92 carbine chambered in .38WCF. It would go well with my Colt New Service revolver in that same chambering.

eroyd
September 17, 2002, 06:17 PM
I recently purchased a 94P. Figured it would make a great behind the truck seat arm that is politically correct around these parts. The marlin is well made and has nice walnut stocks. Comes with swivel studs.

My rifle has given me no grief, even using semi-wad cutters.
The only thing I dont care for is the porting. I don't understand reasoning behind it. It only makes the gun unpleasantly loud.

Why would someone put a scope on this rifle? Does that not defeat its purpose?

HARDBALL
September 17, 2002, 07:18 PM
Hi eroyd,

Yep...I gotta agree with you...if I owned this type of Marlin...iron sights all the way. HARDBALL

slabsides
September 17, 2002, 07:50 PM
Hardball, nice to see another Mainer posting here.
I'm a big fan of the Marlin rifles, though both of mine are getting 'mature' let's say...my 1894c (.357) is now 20 years old and my 1895S (.45-70) about seven.
If I needed another woods rifle, which I don't , I'd seriously consider the .44. My hunting pard of many years has Marlin .41 mag and .30-30, plus Winchester .45Colt and .44 Trappers, and a Rossi .357, so we have plenty of experience with compact lever guns. We've never met one we didn't like!
BTW, the Microgroove barrel CAN shoot lead, if a few things are observed: Well-broken-in barrel; properly sized, HARD bullet at least .001 over groove diameter; and a good bearing on the rifling; plus enough powder to obturate the bullet properly. I've shot tons of the Thompson .358 gas check bullet in my 1894, and an earlier .35 Rem. Marlin as well, and had darn good results. We also shoot a 350 grain flatnose hardcast in the .45-70, which is an older 'non-Guide' gun with the fine rifling.
The .44 is almost perfect for Maine brush hunting, being good for deer and even adequate for bear and moose, as we have proven many times; and as many have noted here, it's also a great home-defense or car gun.
If I were to get one of these, I'd try it in the stainless steel version.

HARDBALL
September 18, 2002, 05:54 AM
Hi Slabsides,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you really know your stuff. What part of Maine are you in?
Slabsides...I too would go with the SS but I don't think that the 44 Mag comes in SS. I saw the SS 336 at the Kittery Trading Post a while ago (I think it was the Marlin 336) and it was BEAUTIFUL!
Me wants!
Oh well...maybe next year lol.

HARDBALL

nascarnhlnra
September 18, 2002, 01:03 PM
Actually HARDBALL your wish has been granted by the fine folks at Marlin www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/1894_centerfireRifles/1894SS.htm I want one of those too !

eroyd
September 18, 2002, 03:08 PM
Beside the 94P.I also purchased a 'old beater' 444 marlin but with clean micro- groved rifling. Contrary to what I've been led to believe, I've had terrific results using hard cast bullets. I made up some using Lees 305 gr. mold with almost straight Lino. Sized just to lube and gas-check they weigh in at 295 grs. At a muzzle velocity of 2050 fps. I get a 3" 100 yard group with irons. Thats as good as I shoot anything with irons. Bet you that will plow through any critter in North America. I have shot this same bullet out of my 94P 44 mag. Good accuracy, actually better than some of the jacketed I've tried, no feed problems, haven't had a chance to Chrony it yet.

Still, whats with the porting on the 94P?

HARDBALL
September 18, 2002, 07:28 PM
Hi nasc,

Thank you for the Marlin link. I forgot they made the 44 in S.S.

Now...if Marlin would only offer the same Rifle in SS with a 16" barrel...Oh baby!!! Anyway, the 20" Marlin in SS is a BEAUT!

HARDBALL

slabsides
September 18, 2002, 07:40 PM
eroyd: Those are what we call 'marketing ports'. Also known as cosmetic enhancements. The .44 hasn't enough recoil to justify a kick reducer, but they shure LOOK sexy.
As far as cosmetics are concerned, I prefer the banded forend on my old 94c. The steel forend cap now used by Marlin is a kind of cheap looking stamping, not at all like the neat cast-steel ones of the 50's and 60's. I'd rather have none at all.
Marlin's 'Mar-Shield' stock finish also leaves a lot to desire. I've scraped and oiled my walnut stocks for many years, and prefer an easily-retouched linseed oil or tung oil finish to the urethanes used today.
As for 'scopes, I think they are an abomination on lever guns. I see many gun-rag writers apologizing now for testing new lever guns with a high-range variable, when they should be checking them out with the sight system correct for them...a rear peep and post front. My Marlins are fitted with old Redfield Sourdough front sights, now sadly no longer obtainable; and Williams receiver peeps...a system that can wring out all the accuracy of which these guns are capable.

eroyd
September 19, 2002, 12:04 PM
Admittedly the idea of a nice NEW pristine factory walnut stock kind of appealed to me at the start. I've never owned one before. But now I realize it needs a good beating to give it some character. A couple of good cat chases this winter should take care of that.

If I wanted to dabble a little in that Cowboy Game thats become so popular, would the 94P's port disqaulify the rifle ? Guess I should of done my homework before hand.