View Full Version : Blackpowder Shoot
September 5, 2002, 03:45 PM
Our club is planning to hold a blackpowder shoot to ,hopefully, increase our membership and our coffers. We are going to have a "turkey shoot", shooting at a piece of paper with an "X" at 50 yds. The shot nearest the X wins. What other activities can we have that blackpowder shooters would enjoy???;)
September 5, 2002, 04:37 PM
Look at the Rendezvous crowd.
1) 2 feet by 2 feet wood frame. Stretched from each corner (diagonal) is a string that forms a "X" in the center. Shoot the X and score. Miss and no score.
2) Ax head with clay pigeons on both sides. Shoot the ax and split the ball to break both pigeons.
3) Feather. Get a round log and drill some holes. Stick in some feathers (paint them red/white/blue or whatever) and shooter callls out his feather and tries to break it.
4) Cards. Playing cards displayed so widthwise so that you can only see a razor's edge. Shooter's gotta cut them in half!
5) Lollypop tree. Big stake in the ground with various lollypops. Call your side (left or right) and color (red on the left, fourth from the top).
6) Poker Chips. Big wood board that is marked out in a grid. Letters run vertically and numbers horizontally. Shooter has to call out his chip (A-5) and hit it.
7) Lewis Wetzel. Start w/loaded gun. Shoot and run and while running, reload and shoot again before you pass the target. Gotta have space and a lot of safety officers.
8) Various wood targets shaped like ferocious critters (or gentle woodland creatures). Target spot is a metal disc that rings when struck.
9) Stress shoot. Drop a marble into a pan and it rolls down a copper tube (like a distllery tube) into a can. Shooter has that amount of time to shoot and hit a target.
10) Hawk 'n knife. Throw tomahawk & knife into a log and make 'em stick.
September 5, 2002, 05:54 PM
One of my favorites.. We got a steel plate, cut a hole in the middle about the size of a silver dollar. We welded a bracket behind the hole that would hold one of those little square shaped exploding targets. ( probably 4" x4" ) We welded up a steel bracket to hold the whole thing sitting on the ground, then put it out a sufficient distance to make it hard, but not impossible. We then pay a buck to take a shot. ( put a money pot by the firing line, so you can see the dollars) When you hit it , it explodes and smokes. If you hit it, you take half the pot and you get braggin' rights. The club takes the other half , puts a dollar back in as seed money and you start all over again. We had lines of guys trying for the braggin' rights and the money... We also had poker targets that had cards printed on it. You take five or six shots and make a hand. Best hand wins. We used lots of steel sillouettes that we set up on a 4 x 4 and shot over, of bears, hogs, rams, and turkeys. Make it fun and they will come!
September 6, 2002, 08:56 AM
Hey: Thanks for the ideas. This should be an interesting shoot. It shall be the 27th of Oct., and I shall post more info on it as we get closer.;)
September 8, 2002, 02:07 AM
My cousin used to do this at his New Jersey Muzzleloaders Association meets.
From what he tells me, they rigged a target with an axe and two clay pigeons. The axe was set up with the blade facing the shooter and one clay on either side of it. What happens is, if you hit the axe just right, the lead ball will split in two and break the clays on both sides of the axe.
It is quite interesting and entertaining to watch when someone actually gets it right.
September 8, 2002, 10:15 PM
Just as it is starting to get dark light some candles and put them up on the 25 yard line. Try to shoot off the flame.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.