PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 190 Takedown

Kevlarman
September 2, 2002, 03:56 AM
I recently acquired a Winchester 190 semi-automatic .22 rifle.
I've since figured out how to remove (and put back!) the trigger group and bolt, but am dumbfounded as to how to remove the barrel and magazine tube. The chamber is filthy, and I cannot clean it properly with it still attached to the receiver. Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT: does anyone know where I can find an online copy of the owner's manual?

Harley Nolden
September 2, 2002, 04:57 AM
Kevlarman:
Disassem W/ Photos sent by separate email.

HJN

Kevlarman
September 4, 2002, 01:03 PM
Seems my email server is acting up, so I never received those instructions. Could you send them to qphreak@hotmail.com?

Thanks again.

Shinigami
January 8, 2005, 12:54 PM
Hi, I have the same rifle, and I was wondering if you could also send me those instructions to my email. Shinigami@Email2me.net Thanks a lot. :)

- Shinigami

JohnLizCas
January 21, 2005, 08:59 PM
Harley, I could use assem, disassem instructions on the winchester 190 as well. By the way, the instructions you sent for the Nylon 66 were just the ticket. Thanks in advance. John

sdawg
January 31, 2005, 05:39 PM
Harley, could you send the takedown instructions on the winchester 190 to my email address (smacdonald@proinstruments.com) when you have a chance? I'm ready to trade it for a single shot thompson but I'd like to give it a good cleaning first

FlyinGN
January 31, 2005, 05:58 PM
Kevlar- I have owned a 190 since the early 70's and lost the original owners manual years ago. I found on on Ebay!! Keep your eye out..

sdawg
February 1, 2005, 10:14 AM
Harley, thanks for the diagrams on the 190. They are very much appreciated.

strawslide
February 15, 2005, 12:08 AM
Hi, I just got a 190 as well and don't have a shread of information. Could you also send me the information. Thanks Tons. Don Heaslip (march1068@aol.com) :)

PMS79
March 24, 2005, 07:03 PM
Getting ready to rescue a 190 from years of neglect. I would appreciate any assembly/disassembly drawings anyone can provide.

Thanks. Jim (permits@erols.com)

crowman
March 25, 2005, 12:10 PM
I too would like a diag. I have just bought a 190 and the barrel is loose. I need to know how to get it tightened.
crowman (morganar@msn.com)

Keltecnician
March 29, 2005, 01:14 PM
Wow! Quite a few people seem to be rebuilding these old rifles.
I am also working one over. Would you please share the takedown info?
Many thanks.
dmdalby@yahoo.com

FlyinGN
March 29, 2005, 04:09 PM
luckly, mine is over 30 years old and in MINT PERFECT shape. it looks like the day it left the factory:):)

Frank

Keltecnician
March 29, 2005, 10:03 PM
Thank you again, Harley.
The takedown guide is just what I needed.

saettleman1069
April 3, 2005, 05:49 PM
Wow this is awesome here I thought I owned the only one.....I would love to have takedown instructions as well I wanna be able to tighten it up and clean it properly.....my email is kenric_r@hotmail.com

THanks

DBCT
April 12, 2005, 12:24 AM
Harley helped me with this info a while back. Cleaned up
nicely- only one thing. The trigger has quite a stout pull.
Dunno how many pounds, but it sure isn't any 4 or so.
What to do?
According to the Tech group at Brownell's, you can't really
stone these rifle trigger groups.
Is that the official word in these days of lawsuits?
Sure would like to have a nicer trigger pull.
Also, any recommendations on a decent (but not expensive)
4x scope and mount?
Thank you all.

Keltecnician
April 16, 2005, 05:22 PM
Harley,
Thanks to your takedown guide, I was able to carefully and correctly rebuild the rifle.
It shoots better than ever; at least on par with my 10-22.
Handy and very accurate.
I will be taking my daughter out to instruct her in safety and shoot the little rifle as soon as possible.
Best regards,
-David

willsjeep
April 16, 2005, 07:45 PM
Harley,
I hate to say this, But could I get those directions also?
I just picked one up today for a steal at a garage sale. I guess it was worth $25 since I have already shot it. It does need a serious cleaning though.
What years did Winchester make these?
Thanks for any help.
Will
Email is willandleigh@planttel.net

DBCT
April 16, 2005, 08:10 PM
Anyone else feel their trigger is too heavy?
Mine sure is, and I think I've cleaned everything
according to the manual (thanks again Harley).
Any suggestions on lightening the pull?
Thank you.

yellowscarf
May 30, 2005, 11:17 AM
My father-in-law has a Model 190 he wants to give to his grandson. He doesn't have the operators manual. Seems Harley has been kind enough to forward the takedown diagram to other members. Could you please forward a copy of the takedown (& pdf copy of manual, if possible) to yellowscarf_red15@yahoo.com.

The Winchester site doesn't seem to have downloads for old models or I'd go there.

Your attention on this is truly appreciated.

Yellowscarf

yellowscarf
May 30, 2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks Harley for your prompt response. Have a nice Memorial Day.

Yellowscarf

FlyinGN
May 30, 2005, 06:36 PM
DBCT- my trigger is pretty light. Id say a little less then 3 lbs.. Wonder if there is somethign wrong with yours?

huero221
June 17, 2005, 01:38 AM
Hello, my uncle was recently given a winchester model 190, but we are unable to find the owners manual anywhere online. Harley, if you get a chance, could you please email me a copy of the takedown manual too? Thanks a lot.

Ramiro
huero221@yahoo.com

Harley Nolden
June 17, 2005, 02:18 AM
huero

Sent by separate email

HJN

huero221
June 19, 2005, 03:04 AM
hey thanks a lot harley for the email. It was very helpful.

drinks
June 19, 2005, 08:36 PM
Harley;
I inherited a 190 from my mother about 15 years ago, was in storage until this spring, I removed the trigger group and removed the bolt and return spring, reinstalling the spring took at least 5 tries, but it is back together and shoots well.
I would really appreciate a copy of the instructions, if you would be so kind.
drinksgin@yahoo.com
:)

cotton25
August 3, 2005, 04:37 PM
could you please email those instructions to me also???

Thanks so much in advance.!@

country_way@hotmail.com

cannoncocker
August 5, 2005, 10:13 PM
I just logged on to this site... and after looking around here, I found this thread...Please send me Dis/Ass of the 190 . I picked one up awhile back and I have made no attempt to tear into it without the instructions. I would really appreciate it if someone could send it to me.

Thanks
Kevin
kmnlrn@yahoo.com

tristanhearn
September 24, 2005, 06:30 PM
I just aquired the same model rifle

Could I be sent the takedown guide too?

FlyinGN
September 24, 2005, 08:15 PM
can I get a copy too??? Thanks!

Grimmerspeak
September 26, 2005, 10:34 PM
I'm glad I found this forum. It seems that the documentation on this rifle wasn't well preserved. I'm just glad I'm not the only one. I have my Winchester 190 that I learned to shoot with a very (very) long time ago. It was left to me by my Grampa when he died and it is in excellent shape. I just don't have a clue how to break it down to make sure it stays that way. It's driving me crazy! I mean I can usually figure out how to break down any rifle (course somnetimes I can't get back together). Anyway, Please send me any disassembly instruction that you can. It would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

shawn@scoggins.com

Harley Nolden
September 27, 2005, 01:47 AM
Grimmspeak

Info sent by separate email

HJN

FlyinGN
September 27, 2005, 06:20 AM
thanks Harley!!!!

lobolopez
September 27, 2005, 11:16 AM
I also have a winchester model 190. Could you please email me that manual as well? I have been looking for it for a lot of time but in Europe it is very difficult to get it. Thank you very much.
My e-mail is lobo_lopezzz@yahoo.es

lobolopez
September 28, 2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks a lot for the manual, Harley.
I though i never could get it.
Regards.

Xavier Phoenix
October 6, 2005, 09:09 PM
I just aquired the model 190 and can't find any cleaning information.

Can you send that information my way Harley? alpha_tactical@hotmail.com

Thanks!

ntman
October 8, 2005, 05:44 PM
If I could get a copy of that, I will post it on my server where others can download it. My email is bswisher@swishercs.com

Thank you in advance

ntman
October 9, 2005, 10:52 AM
I would like to thank Harley for sending me the breakdown documents so quickly. I have uploaded them to my server and have them on a webpage and available for download. Everyone is welcome to visit the site to get them. Harley and TheFiringLine.com get full credit for the images on the site. Again, thank you for your quick response to my request.

Here is the link: http://www.swishercs.com/winchester

Bart Swisher

Gary Conner
October 10, 2005, 10:04 AM
I just finished rebuilding a model 190 Winchester after Mr. Nolan sent me the take down instructions.
I, like a lot of others, had a bunch of trouble in re-inserting the bolt and the trigger housing properly, as the cartridge would not enter the chamber, and after about ten or twelve tries, if finally dawned on me that the problem was the long bolt that mounts the stock after inserting the bolt spring into the channel, was pushing the metal clip that rests under the bolt, out to where the extractor would not work, as the bolt could not come back far enough.

If anyone is taking that model apart, it is a pain to try to get back together unless you figure it out, and you can only figure it out by looking straight down at the mounting bolt, and noticing the gap between the clip and the back of the housing.
GMC

roninuta
October 26, 2005, 02:18 PM
I got one of these from my grandfather in 1989. neither he no I ever opened the box. It is in mint condition but no manual.

Would you mind sending me the takedown please. Thanks in advance.

Wyseguy
January 16, 2006, 03:39 AM
Harley,
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I need takedown instructions for my Winchester 190 as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Wyseguy1111@sbcglobal.net

I just viewed the link to the take down guide provided by ntman. It's great. My complements to ntman and Harley.

4majorchaos
February 1, 2006, 11:58 AM
Harley- I am also needing the takedown instructions for the Win 190. If you could send them to me at maconusmile@yahoo.com I would greatly appreciate it.:)

jlyent
February 2, 2006, 10:29 AM
dbct,i bent the trigger spring on my 190 and it lightened to 3.5 lbs. on the stock bolt problem, if you install the stud first you can position the metal clip (recoil plate is what winchester calls it) in the proper spot. the instructions claim stock removal is not recomended in normal disassembly, however i find the easy way to install th bolt spring & guide is with the stock off. you insert bolt spring& guide from rear, compess spring, hold in place with metal ruler & slide stock on. jim y

durasolar
February 11, 2006, 10:22 PM
I just received a very dirty Winchester 190 without any takedown instructions or manual. I also would appreciate it if you could email a copy of any manuals you have to help me in rejuvinating this oldie.
Thanks,
Mike
mchlclifton@yahoo.com

TEX CHL
June 9, 2006, 10:33 AM
Just a note to say thanks to Harley for the original info and to ntman for putting it up on the site. My dad bought his in 1967 and I inherited it upon his death in '71. It's been shot a few times since then but never had a decent bath. It's long overdue for a good cleaning.

Johnny Guest
June 10, 2006, 02:12 PM
:D

Somehow, in over 50 years of messing with many different kinds of firearms, I've never had possession of a Winchester 190. Nor, I guess, have any of my shooting buddies ever had theilrs at the range while I was present. Truly, I can't recall ever shooting or even holding one in my hands. :o Doesn't speak well for the breadth of experience of a firearms enthusiast, does it?

Judging by all the participants in this and a similar thread, there must have been a time, though, when the Win 190 was the then-current equivalent of the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin Model 60.

This, then, is the other side of the service that Harley Nolden provides - - Not only the esoterica of the firearms world, but valuable references on the more everyday American rimfires.

Harley, we all owe you a vote of thanks for all that you do.

Johnny

dura_ace
June 12, 2006, 09:06 PM
Harley
I found this thread on google and joined the firing line forum to get the instructions on the the takedown of a winchester 190. I would really appreciate if you could send me the instructions to lgvenable@charter.net
larry venable

VincentB
June 24, 2006, 01:01 PM
No need to take the barrel off to REALLY clean the chamber. do what we do with 10/22's and my T/C Classic. Go get a 22 CENTERFIRE bore brush, bass bristles for sure an brass core if you can. Use and empty 22 lr case to judge howdeep the chamber is. add just a touch more in length. Now bend the brush about 90* that far back from the tip of the brush. Now you can stick that front part into the chamber tru the ejection port and the back, theaded part can be rocked back and forth (not in and out, but you can do that too) and you will clean the lead ring that builds in front of the chamber. This works great for cleaning the chamber and you can do it right at the range whenever you need to. Just throw it in your range kit.

After scrubbing the chamber this way follow up by running a patch or 4 thru it. Thats it. WAY easier tha taking things apart.

I recently worked on one of these interesting little guns. It is a LITTLE strange in design but I liked it.

DaveJack
June 28, 2006, 08:46 PM
I have had the rifle since the 70s. I have lost my instruction book through various moves. Would appreciate a copy of the instructions.

afrobob
June 29, 2006, 11:38 PM
So I would also like the takedown manual to the Winchester Model 190. Could someone send it to me at ssnell@albertson.edu ?
Thanks,
-Steve

kirbo
July 10, 2006, 05:27 PM
I also have had my 190 returned that I used as a boy and am trying to get
it fit for my 11 year old, can someone email these, thanks,

kirbo@win.net

deal
July 12, 2006, 06:52 PM
I've been looking for this manual and was wondering if someone could pass it along to me?

ericdeal@idgfx.com

Thanks

Catfishguy
July 25, 2006, 10:30 PM
hey guys we got a 190 the we pulled out and are going to redo and we need to know what finish the recever had we are not sure if its blueing on it Thanks Jason and Jerry

bobbg
July 30, 2006, 06:14 AM
I recently finished a refirb on a 290 that I traded for. This little rifle came out great but the front (plastic) sight is broken at the magizine tube holder and I have not been able to glue it together and make it hold. Where might I find a replacement for this part? Very classy plinker.
bobby

salvo
July 30, 2006, 06:35 PM
bobbg, Numrick should have it.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0950z190

Thanks Harley & ntman for hosting.
My nephew asked if I could fix his .22, you guessed it a 190. The WWW pointed straight to Harley:D

bobbg
July 30, 2006, 09:16 PM
Salvo, thanks for the info on Numrich. The only front sight they list is the later steel sight that dovetails on the top of the barrel. I need the early style made from black plastic. It fits over the muzzle and has a lower part that the magizine tube fits in. My sight is cracked on one side of the hole that the tube fits in.
Bobbg

joons
August 7, 2006, 07:35 PM
I picked up a 190 a few months ago and just shot it last weekend (it shot very well by the way).

When I went to clean it, the action disassembly was easy enough until I pulled the bolt back and out popped the spring - uh oh. Anyhow if possible could I get a few tips on how I should go about reseting the spring? I have already tried feeding the spring with the stopper set with a pair of pliers, but I can only go so far until it starts bending. I also have no idea how to remove the stock, because I really don't know how I should approach it. Any tips are welcome, and if the takedown manuel would answer my questions then I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

<scorpio119@gmail.com>

EDIT: Thank you Harley for the manuel. If anyone knows what size of socket will work for the stock that would be very useful.

bobbg
August 10, 2006, 08:39 PM
Hi Joons
The manual says that the spring can be installed using needle nose pliers and patience. I could not make it work no matter how I tried. The spring fits into a hole in the rear of the reciever housing that is open to the stock. I removed the stock and fed the spring in from the rear and while holding the spring in with a finger or screwdriver slip the stock back in place and install the nut that secures it. Sounds like a difficult feat but it is not. Good luck. You are going to like the rifle by the way.
Bob

alpha1recon
August 25, 2006, 10:17 PM
This is my first time using this site. I just bought a model 190 and does anyone know where to buy a manual for takedown and reassembly? I would greatly appreciate any help. I am old and slow using computers. My e-mail is alpha1recon@yahoo.com
Thanks

cmahar3@cox.net
August 26, 2006, 12:04 AM
I've been taking my kids to the range shooting 22, but my 5 year old is small for his age and can't put the butt of the rifle in his shoulder. His arms are too short and he could never reach the trigger. So he puts it under his arm and blazes away. He's having fun and I'm with him, but I wanted him to be able to hold the rifle more correctly.

So after talking about it with some of the guys at work, I bought an old Winchester model 190 cheap at a gunshow to cut down him. I bought a model 190 over 33 years ago with money from my paper route, so I know it's a great rifle.

So far I've cut about 6 inches off the stock and made a new butt plate. Fine, now he can put the butt in his shoulder and reach the trigger. But the rifle is too heavy for him to hold up.

So I'm thinking I'd like to go further. Minimum legal length for a rifle is 26 inches, so I can cut another 5 or 6 inches off the rifle and still be legal. Problem is I would need to cut those inches off the barrel.

No problem. I can do that, and make it all smooth and pretty. I can even re-blue it when the cutting and filing is done. But there's that darn permanently attached magazine hanger.

Does anyone have any experience removing and replacing that hanger? Is it silver soldered? Welded on? Pressed in? Shortening the tubular magazine will be a piece of cake after that.

cmahar

finrot
September 1, 2006, 06:56 PM
Hey Harley could you send me the Winchester 190 manual also . Just bought a nice one on gunbroker thanks Peter. lsmith18@optonline.net

andy29075
October 30, 2006, 07:58 AM
Hello all,

Harley, would you please send me a copy of the owner's manual to andy29075@yahoo.com?

Thanks for your help!
-Andy J

jmorrison
November 6, 2006, 07:29 PM
I would very much like a take down book or manual on the #190.

Are there any replacement part available for it? As in the "bolt opening" handle and a "insert" for the tubular magizine?

kpedx
November 9, 2006, 08:33 PM
got a 190 passed down through my dad but no manual, and he doesnt know were is it hopefully one of you can send the takedown guide to undergroundco@gmail.com thanks

-ryan

mtman
November 21, 2006, 10:54 PM
Hi, purchased a Winchester Model 190 a few years ago. I am looking for a copy of the owner's manual. I contacted Winchester but what they sent me was incomplete. Can anyone help?? []]

FlyinGN
November 22, 2006, 06:30 AM
I found mine on Gunbroker... Keep an eye out on Ebay too.

mtman
November 22, 2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks Harley

PhilG
December 21, 2006, 05:48 PM
I have a 190 that belongs to a friend. He has had it for about 30 years. He is a novice. Doesn't even know how to clean it properly. But he is a good person so I want to help him.
The rifle misfires. The firing pin does not make a good hit on the rim most of the time.
It jambs and does not feed the next round.
The action is rough.
Like a fool I offered to take it apart and give it a good cleaning and lube to see if that would solve his problems.
I did not know what I was getting into. No owners manual or take down manual.
Would some one please be kind and send those documents to me so I have a chance of helping my friend.
Also, given the above problems does anyone with experience with this rifle have any other ideas?
Thank you.

PhilG
December 21, 2006, 11:59 PM
Harley,
Thank youi for the quick response.
PhilG

pilgrimship
December 29, 2006, 01:23 AM
Harley,
Just picked up a 190 that I would love to clean up. You seem to be the man with the manual. Could I get in line to get one. mcsanok@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance.

camper
December 29, 2006, 09:25 AM
Help, I have a gun in a bag that was given to me. Could I get the information? wdrail36@svcable.net

Harley Nolden
December 29, 2006, 10:08 AM
Check Old Posts. The 190 Is Posted On The Net

Hjn

camper
December 29, 2006, 11:24 AM
The gun is back together and working !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you

percyolivas
January 3, 2007, 10:14 AM
Dear Harley Nolden:

i have a broken winchester model 190 with missing parts, so, i need the owners manual or exploded drawings with part list, to complete the firing mechanism and buy the parts.
i read your post of winchester 190 manual takedown i am sure this infometion help me.
my email is : percyolivas@minem.gob.pe

thank you for your generosity
percy olivas

Eghad
January 3, 2007, 04:33 PM

I had a friend come to me for help in locating a magazine tube assembly for a 190 today.

JohnEm
January 6, 2007, 08:50 PM
Harley, Can you also send me a copy of the 190 takedown manual? I have had one sitting in a closet for many years and it needs a cleaning.

billalaqua
January 16, 2007, 03:46 PM
Hi All,

Could someone please email me a copy of the takedown manual for the winchester 190. My old gun and myself would greatly appreciate it.

wdwaters@comcast.net

Thanks!

frogstarjgw
January 18, 2007, 09:19 PM
My winchester 190 brought me to this site. I am looking for some takedown instructions for it,but I may be a little late. If someone else has them I would appreciate it if they could be sent to my E-mail address below.
Thanks in advance.

john

frogstarjgw@yahoo.com

divkat9
January 31, 2007, 08:43 PM
I got the link to the takedown on the 190 but after drifting the pin out that holds the magazine tube in I still can't get the tube out. Any suggestions?
I've tried soaking the area in oil and have managed to get it to wiggle a little but with no forward movement.

frogstarjgw
February 2, 2007, 10:19 AM
Where did you find the link to the 190 takedown info? Could you post it or send it to frogstarjgw@yahoo.com?

divkat9
February 2, 2007, 11:49 AM
a couple pages bak in this thread, there is a link to the takedown.

frogstarjgw
February 2, 2007, 06:51 PM
Thank you!! I went through this thread and missed it. Thanks again!!

john

Rolan
February 4, 2007, 12:53 AM
Harley,

Just found the forum while 'googling' for information on my 190. Please send the info to my email as well; rolandillion@charter.net Many thanks in advance!

Rolan

Farm boy
March 15, 2007, 09:19 PM
Harley I also need the takedown manual for the 190. My email is shiscocks@xplornet.com .
Thanks

slickab
March 17, 2007, 12:35 PM
While recently researching my Ted Williams 3T mod. no. 273.2400 22 cal. semi on Sears Roebuck Firearms, I discovered that my rifle is actually a Winchester model 190. While firing the gun the ejection port remained open and a spring and pin fell out. The pin appears to fit into the spring. They probably came out of the bolt. I would like to know how to disassemble the gun to clean, repair and refinish it. Some members got some info from Harley. Info, photos or any help will be appreciated. My e-mail is t_ab@bellsouth.net

DuaneBryant
March 18, 2007, 08:52 AM
First, a BIG thank you to Harley Nolden. His generous sharing of information inspired me to register just to post the requested info again, and a summary of the posts on this thread that give assembly/repair hints. I have no affiliation.

Photographed/Illustrated assembly disassembly manual posted by Harley:
http://www.swishercs.com/winchester/

Here you can buy a color photocopy for $5 plus shipping:
http://www.rediscovered-shooting-treasures.com/winchester190.htm

Comprehensive schematic parts list and purchase source:
--
Collection/Summary of posts in this thread for assembly/repair hints I found most valuable:

No need to take the barrel off to REALLY clean the chamber. do what we do with 10/22's and my T/C Classic. Go get a 22 CENTERFIRE bore brush, bass bristles for sure an brass core if you can. Use and empty 22 lr case to judge howdeep the chamber is. add just a touch more in length. Now bend the brush about 90* that far back from the tip of the brush. Now you can stick that front part into the chamber tru the ejection port and the back, theaded part can be rocked back and forth (not in and out, but you can do that too) and you will clean the lead ring that builds in front of the chamber. This works great for cleaning the chamber and you can do it right at the range whenever you need to. Just throw it in your range kit.

After scrubbing the chamber this way follow up by running a patch or 4 thru it. Thats it. WAY easier tha taking things apart.

I recently worked on one of these interesting little guns. It is a LITTLE strange in design but I liked it.
--
I just finished rebuilding a model 190 Winchester after Mr. Nolan sent me the take down instructions.
I, like a lot of others, had a bunch of trouble in re-inserting the bolt and the trigger housing properly, as the cartridge would not enter the chamber, and after about ten or twelve tries, if finally dawned on me that the problem was the long bolt that mounts the stock after inserting the bolt spring into the channel, was pushing the metal clip that rests under the bolt, out to where the extractor would not work, as the bolt could not come back far enough.

If anyone is taking that model apart, it is a pain to try to get back together unless you figure it out, and you can only figure it out by looking straight down at the mounting bolt, and noticing the gap between the clip and the back of the housing.
--
i bent the trigger spring on my 190 and it lightened to 3.5 lbs. on the stock bolt problem, if you install the stud first you can position the metal clip (recoil plate is what winchester calls it) in the proper spot. the instructions claim stock removal is not recomended in normal disassembly, however i find the easy way to install th bolt spring & guide is with the stock off. you insert bolt spring& guide from rear, compess spring, hold in place with metal ruler & slide stock on.
--
End of Summary
--
About Me:
My father got me my first gun, a BB gun at 4-years-old. Had to have him cock it for me, for the first 3 years. Had to prop it in the fork of a small dogwood to shoot it for the first year or so.

My favorite uncle bought this rifle for me, as my first firearm when I was a boy. I cherish it, as it is the only firearm I have ever owned. I needed info for it, including how to replace the little sliding rear site part that fell out. This thread has been a blessing to me.

Can anyone tell me how to help keep the little sliding rear site from falling out from under the spring slot?

Cheers!
Duane

David Nelsen
April 20, 2007, 06:46 PM
I have both the above rifles and have partially stripped down, but would like to do a very thorough cleaning. I am trying to figure out how to use this forum. Thanks for info, schematics etc. David Nelsen daveanelsen@hotmail.com

suwanneeonline
September 13, 2007, 09:19 AM
I need some serious help apperantly. I have this rifle, the Winchester 190 and NO IDEA how to tear it down.....It was given to me, and I was advised that I also need a 'ramrod'...I think I know what that is, but wow.....I am clueless..<walbridge(at)gmail.com>

Thanks for any help

PhilG
November 4, 2007, 10:50 PM
I have now solved the problem; or rather I took it to a GOOD gunsmith who saw the problem instantly and had it solved in about 30-45 minutes. I say a GOOD gunsmith because my friend had taken to a different shop which had charged him about $35.00 to recondition the rifle but had done the rifle no good.
There were two problems. For the major problem look at step 9 in the take down manual. The barrel collar was loose in the frame making the head space wrong (loose). There is no 'adjusting' the head space on that rifle. It is fixed when the barrel is tight in the frame. He took it apart, gave it a good cleaning, and put the barrel and collar in tight. The collar is treaded. He put some copper anti seize compound on them. He did not have the specific spanner wrench for the collar so he carefully used a punch that fit the flat of he collar.
The second problem was lead in the cone of the barrel where the rounds feed into the chamber. It was layered so deeply that he had to scrape it off.
I think only copper clad rounds from now on.
A good cleaning and oiling and it now works fine.

d2dave
November 21, 2007, 09:12 PM
I've been searching for years for an exploded view of a Model 190 so that I can identify the part I need to replace to get my first rifle back up and shooting so that I can introduce my oldest son to the sport. I would greatly appreciate anyone who could email me a jpg or pdf manual or anything that I can use to identify this part. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Dave (philojuice3@yahoo.com

jlyent
November 21, 2007, 09:44 PM
look at post #86 it has much info. jim:)

Piper1
April 15, 2008, 04:42 PM
I am also looking for a takedown manual for Winchester's Model 190 .22 cal. rifle is it still availible? Thanx

bkras
April 16, 2008, 09:28 PM
I recently received a Winchester Model 190 from my uncle. He hasn't fired it in years and doesn't have the manual for it. I found this forum and hope that someone could email me a copy of the takedown manual. Thanks.

ajs300shortmag
April 20, 2008, 07:32 PM
can someone please have pitty on me and send me the instructions on how to reassemble the winchester model 190 .22? i got the spring in by removing the stock, but now i cant get the trigger assembly back in. i need help ajsmirage@yahoo.com

ach1950
April 24, 2008, 05:16 PM
could somebody please send me an instruction manual or a schematic for a teardown of the winchester model 190? Anything will help.

reh1698@netscape.net

Remington M1934
April 27, 2008, 01:13 PM
For some reason I am unable to access the link to:

" Photographed/Illustrated assembly disassembly manual posted by Harley:
http://www.swishercs.com/winchester/ "

I am asked for a password or confirmation (?!)

? Any other way to obtain this manual easily ?

JB

jbenezet@lcturbonet.com

vic_price
April 28, 2008, 12:42 PM
I found this on another thread and it worked for me.

PDF scan of photocopied manual at
http://ia360943.us.archive.org/1/items/WinchesterModel190Manual/Winchester_190_manual.pdf

GUNS4FREEDOM
May 1, 2008, 10:17 PM
Having Little Trouble Getting Bolt And Boltguide/spring Back In.can You Help Me With Details On This? Thanks

levy
May 11, 2008, 11:46 AM
If anyone has a teardown manual for a winchester 22 model 190, Will you please email it to me at jimmyleavell@comcast.net

santowis
May 18, 2008, 08:11 AM
Harley,

My fishing buddy just gave me his almost mint-condition 190 .22 with no manual or instructions. If you could email them to me at jvsmith@cheqnet.net , I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jerry

santowis
May 19, 2008, 06:59 PM
I was able to get the Winchester 190 operator's manual repro by calling Browning/Winchester at 1-800-333-3288, but if anyone has a pdf of a takedown manual, I sure would appreciate one.

santowis
May 20, 2008, 10:40 PM
Found the takedown link after reading all the messages.
The one under #97 works.

nbkhuntsman
May 29, 2008, 09:12 PM
Hi all. New to this forum and was trying to find info on how to disassemble a Win. 190. The two links posted did not work for me. Could someone kindly email the manual to me at ciguatura@yahoo.com Thanks in advance!

glassmanetch
June 10, 2008, 07:53 PM
hey is there anyone coud send me a copy of the takedown man an so forth
thanks alot.. mike
glassmanetch@yahoo.com
i tried all the links but still couldnt get it to load the page:)

ruffcutt
June 21, 2008, 07:28 PM
Could someone email me the the takedown man. davidmonrean@hotmail.com

Thankyou

dragonbreath
July 9, 2008, 04:53 PM
I would like a copy as well please.

sparky_kid@msn.com

dedyamisha
July 9, 2008, 08:42 PM
Is it possible to get a copy of the takedown instructions for the Wincherster 190. My nephew got his down, but cannot get a spring back in. Thanks! email = mewhitehurst@msn.com

moose3443
July 14, 2008, 09:18 PM
had a 190 that has been sitting for a while and needs a good cleaning if anyone could send me a copy of the takedown manual it would be greatly appreciated kookie3443@hotmail.com

guntotin_fool
July 15, 2008, 02:00 AM
It takes three hands to get the long spring back in, but its easy to do. get a coat hanger, a heavy wire one, cut the hanger on the bottom and slide the spring on to the hanger, stick the end of the hang that you just cut into the hole in the receiver, now using a small screw driver or ignition wrench, press on the end of the spring and let the spring be guided by the coat hanger. When you get the spring all the way in, carefully remove the coat hanger, replace the spring follower in its place and then drop in the trigger group.

kennyray
July 18, 2008, 04:48 PM
Harley could i get a copy of the manual for the 190 please , thanks.
e-mail kennethmeredith@msn.com

letang
August 18, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hi Harley,
I've got a Winchester 190 too, and it now needs a spare part to fix the trigger/reload system. Can you send me the takedown drawings too.
Thanks
letang@kolumbus.fi

stonededge
August 20, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hey harley. im new to the rifle world and just aquired a winchester 22. i was wondering if you could send me the takedown manuel, and any tips you wouldnt mind sharing with a young kid. Thank you.

Celmar
August 26, 2008, 11:31 AM
Hello, I'm a new member from France (sorry for approximate writing). I recently acquired a Winchester 190 (22lr) of 1977, from a friend. He told me he had never shot rounds ! Problem, I 'm unable to find the owners manual (or breakdown and reassembly) here in France, could you help me or send me the information.
Many thanks.

ekrowler
August 27, 2008, 10:14 PM
Harley,
Please send me a copy of the Winchester 190 takedown manual. I have the gun broken down for cleaning but am having trouble reinstalling the spring. I'm hoping the manual will help with this step of the reassembly.

Please send to ekrowler@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Shamus
January 2, 2009, 09:58 AM
Any chance I can get a copy?

RSVPRichard@Yahoo.com

TIA

TDS1
January 22, 2009, 07:50 AM
I just purchased a Winchester model 190 for my son and I am looking for a takedown manual I have tried a couple of the links listed here with no sucess .Any help would be apreciated.

Potts
March 23, 2009, 05:46 PM
Hi,

I just found your website and I need instructions and pictures for the Winchester 190 takedown. Send to my email address at spotts06@comcast.net
Thanks

saintjock
March 24, 2009, 02:33 PM
I just got the rifle back and the cocking handle has broken so Im wondering that actual name of the part so I can order another. I would really appreciate the takedown via email. Thanks Ryan.

ATLDiver
April 12, 2009, 08:53 PM
I have a Sears Mod 3T which appears to be a re-badged Winchester 190. I would love to have those takedown instructions, Harley if you would be so kind to foward them to me as well.

One question, my 3T has a slightly loose forarm. It doesn't impair the function other than a heavy and rough trigger. I know a good gun-smith that I was thinking of giving him a crack and re-working the trigger and action. If I need to pick up any of these parts, are they still available?

DixieFlatline
April 14, 2009, 12:33 PM
Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but what kind of wrench/spanner do I need to get the barrel collar off of the Winchester 190?

deadeye-doc
April 22, 2009, 03:28 PM
Mr. Harley Nolden, Would you be so kind as to send me the information you have given others about the take-down and assembly of my Winchester 190 22LR? I would be very grateful for your help. akchiro4325@earthlink.net

tommygunz123083
May 5, 2009, 11:39 AM
can anyone help me find the winchester model 190 22 cal takedown manual??

tgladden
May 8, 2009, 07:19 AM
Harley could i get a copy of the manual for the 190 please. Inherited one from my father-in-law after he passed and it needs a relly good cleaning. Thank you in advance.

email: tg6394@yahoo.com

:)

Ian1
May 9, 2009, 08:08 PM
Harley could you please send me a copy of the manual for the 190. I inherited one from my wife's uncle and it needs a good cleaning before I even think about taking it to the range. Thank you in advance. Ian mardi808@msn.com

rickyj
May 15, 2009, 10:45 PM
Hi Harley,

I would love to get a copy of the diagram for the takedown of a winchester 190.

I just was given my dads rifle.

thanks much

rick@rickmizer.com

jburkey
June 1, 2009, 06:41 PM
Harley,

My story is the same. Just got my hands on my Dad's .22 Winchester 190. Any chance you could send me the takedown manual? I'd really appreciate it. Here's my email address:

burkey741@lycos.com

Thanks so much

COLOVET69
June 14, 2009, 10:03 PM
hey Harley, i'm a new member...saw that you have breakdown of win. 190. I would really appreciate a copy if you can send it. thanks, Dan

email.... ptlmedina@gmail.com

DDraper
August 16, 2009, 08:58 PM
ok today i was taking apart my 190 to clean it out, as i just figured out it breaks down further. as i was doing this i found some schematics online, easy enough to take it down, but as i took the carrier(?) out the spring shot out and now i cannot get the spring back in
please, PLEASE, for the love of God some one gimme a hand
if i can figure out the spring, the rest should be easy peasy
thank you
DDraper

MemphisJim
August 16, 2009, 10:47 PM
Pardon me for laughing but I had the same thing happen tonight with my 290 (identical rifle just a fancier stock). I've had mine since 1968 (a "welcome home" gift from Dad on return from Vietnam) but hadn't shot it in years. I put a few hundred rounds through it this afternoon and got it dialed in just as I want it. As I was disassembling for cleaning this evening, the spring came flying out and I heard something hit the far wall. Fortunately I still have my manual, consulted it and immediately launched the search for the plastic return spring guide. Reassembly requires small fingers with long nails so I settled for a paperclip to feed the spring into its assigned hole and to keep it condensed to the point I could feed the guide rod into it and get the bolt back in place. The paper clip also helped position the guide into its assigned place on the bolt. Whole operation couldn't have taken me more than 90 minutes but only the last 10 count because that's when I recruited the paperclip. Fortunately I have lots of experience with long snaky springs thanks to three Remington 597s. And I have learned lots of patience, thanks to frequent take-down and reassembly of a Ruger MkII. Hope you cracked the code.

DDraper
August 17, 2009, 09:25 PM
its completely impossible to fit the damn thing into it
im freaking out mainly because even though it belongs to me, its under my bed, and i can probably take it out when ever, i feel sort of guilty because i put it away broken down and thats a personal no-no for me. and im afraid to lose any pieces
im kinda freaking out because i pride my self on responsibility with firearms, and i always assumed that meant saftey..oops... so i really want to get it back together....why cant it be easy like an AR15?
damned civilian guns

letang
September 30, 2009, 07:46 PM
hi guys,
It isn't really that difficult to get the long spring back into place.
With the help of two small screw drivers, or something similar, push the spring slowly until it's completely in.
Then insert the 'pin' and then the trigger assembly.
Don't have the 190 with me, so I can't describe the exact procedure/details, but I done it .... and ut's not impossible.
Hope this little tip helps.
Cheers,
L'etang
;)

dutch8006
November 4, 2009, 07:37 PM
Harley have the same story as most here, could really use the information, if you could send to dutch8006@aol.com Thank you

ctank01
February 15, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hello, my story here is bascially similar to everyone else. I am looking for the manual for the Winchester 190. Any help would be great. Please email it to casey.tankersley@googlemail.com

airwolfe1
June 13, 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #86 of this thread has a link for the Takedown Manual and other useful information.

Berti
December 26, 2011, 02:46 PM
Hi essentially my story is the same as the others.So Harley please send a copy of your take down manual for winchester 190 to my email at asalehi2000@yahoo.com .Thanks man.Happy new year too.

chasenappier
April 26, 2012, 11:05 AM
Just another fella hoping you can send me the manual as well! Hoping I'm not too late - thanks a bunch man.

mach158
May 23, 2012, 11:56 AM
Basically same story of having a model 190 passed down to me and need to make a repair and looking for the manual to assist with this. If you could email it to mach158@hotmail.com I would appreciate it.

I'm sure I'll be around to get more information as this looks like a pretty good place with knowledgeable people.