PDA

View Full Version : Rem does offer mag extension and I have an upgrade question

skeeter
August 24, 2002, 03:07 AM
I just ordered a new 870 from J&G Sales here in Prescott for $282. This model comes with a 2 shot mag extension ( 6+1) for its 18' barrel and is all black plastic stocked. I am hoping it does not have any key safety as I was not told it did when i orderd it. My question is besides replacing the orange plastic magazine spring cap what else should be replaced to get 100% reliability? Seems REMINGTON is offering mag extensions after all.

Dave McC
August 24, 2002, 05:20 AM
Nothing. That's assuming that #$%^&*( PC safety isn't on it.

Buy ammo, shoot up, repeat. After a few boxes, you'll be able to tell if the thing fits, or if there's any glitches.

As for the shell follower, there's been just one report of a plastic follower destructing.

Slater
August 24, 2002, 08:32 AM
I just bought the same shotgun for $279 at Big 5 (here in Phoenix), and it does have the new PC trigger lock/safety. I'm told that it can be replaced with an older type without too much hassle.

Intel6
August 24, 2002, 11:03 AM
The safteys are easy to replace on the remingtons and there are aftermarket safteys available.

RobertEsq1
August 24, 2002, 11:26 AM
I have heard mixed reviews on the Wilson/Scattergun Tech "Jumbo Head" safty. Any comments on it or other aftermarket replacements?

Dave McC
August 24, 2002, 01:32 PM
Not terribly enthused about oversied safeties. The easier they are to put on, the easier they are to get knocked off.

And as fumble fingered as I am, if I can learn to employ the standard one sans glitches for years on end, anyone can.

HTH....

RobertEsq1
August 24, 2002, 01:37 PM
I don't really mind the key safty in that it's an option which need not be used except that: I've heard that they can lock themselves. Does anyone know of this actually occurring or is it urban myth.

Chang
August 24, 2002, 06:46 PM
Grasp the lock between your thumb and index finger and turn it all the way around, and sure you can lock it without a key, but it's got a ball detent or something that makes it so it has to be an intentional effort. I haven't managed to do it to mine without trying pretty hard to do it.