PDA

View Full Version : Remington 878

RHarris
August 21, 2002, 06:08 PM
While shopping looking around for something else, I found a Remington 878 semiauto shotgun in a shop. It appeared to be in pretty good shape, it had a 26" barrel, modified choke and everything seemed to work, but I'm not familiar with Remington semiauto shotguns. I believe this model is gas operated and was made in the late 50's or early 60's. The price tag was $179. This seemed like a good deal compared to the price of a new autoloader. Is it? Since then I've found little information on the 878 model.

I wasn't looking for something like this, but if it's a good deal, I might buy it. Could someone please tell me what one of these should be worth? What should I look at specificly before buying? Do these work well with all loads? What else can be said about this model?

Hadaway
August 22, 2002, 10:50 AM
The 878 was not a bad shotgun. You're right, it is gas operated, but it is a quite a bit different from the 1100. The 878 gas piston rides inside the mag tube. If you do a lot of shooting, the carbon can build up between the piston and the mag tube and possibly keep the gun from cycling properly. If you keep it clean, this shouldn't be a problem.

The mag capacity is limited because of the piston. You can't put a mag extension on it. Parts may be hard to find. An 870 barrel can be converted to fit by a good gunsmith if need be.

The price is cheap enough. If the seller will stand behind it, I say its worth trying it.

Thanks,
Lee
http://www,thearmsroom.com

countryboy_soldier
May 9, 2008, 09:15 PM
i have a model 878 that has been in my family for quite some time. im 21 and i have used it quite often. its a great weapon i clean her regulary and have had only a few simple feeding malfunctions that were sometimes my fault for not completely loading shells. i am curious to know if anybody could give me some advice on something i was planning on trying. i was thinking about buying a 2nd barrell and sawing it off, as i use my 878 as our home defense weapon and for waterfowl hunting.

Teppo Sensei
July 25, 2008, 02:40 AM
the barrel would cost more than a new gun
only made for 4 years and discontinued 45 years ago
you could get a maverick 8rd 20in model for 160$
i paid 200$ for my 870 from k-mart 9years ago

Model 878
Description: Lightweight, gas operated, autoloading shotgun "The Automaster"
Introduction Year: 1959
Year Discontinued: 1963
Total Production: 63,500+/-
Designer/Inventor: L.R. Crittendon with design team of Ellis W. Hailston and Harold L. Hameister
Action Type: Gas operated autoloading
Caliber/Gauge: 12 gauge