PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun finishes: what's your preference?

Slater
August 13, 2002, 07:13 PM
There's a variety of finishes avaiable today; blued, Parkerized, Camo, etc. I tend to like the basic black finish, preferably Parkerized.

fireman
August 13, 2002, 07:16 PM
I like parkerized on all my shotguns.

HSMITH
August 13, 2002, 09:04 PM
Krylon over park. You can beat the crap out of them with no rust and a 2 cent touch-up. Duck guns get painted, everything else is polished blue as it is hard to find anything else.

MiniZ
August 13, 2002, 09:40 PM
Depends...
For a Trap gun, I like a deep, rich blue-gotta look good ya know.

For everything else, either Park, or one of the various proprietary finishes available(Robar NP3, etc.)..

K80Geoff
August 13, 2002, 09:54 PM
Electro less nickel on the receiver and Deep Blued Barrels.

Shotguns can be a work of art!

Andrew Wyatt
August 13, 2002, 10:35 PM
I like krylon as a finish. it's durable and can be had in any color.

labgrade
August 13, 2002, 11:53 PM
Rustoleum works good enough on a hand-painted turkey gun.

Bought my Rem 870 Express Mag Turkey just before they came out with the nifty factory camo package.

Sprayed the whole thing Rust-O brown & then did the home-cam-thing - various other greens & tans ... Ugly as sin, but does disappear enough the birds don't care. Quite a bit cheaper too in the scheme of things. Any scratches in the paint just add to the camo. ;)

A nice, beauty-blue is a wonderful thing, but SGs are mostly beater-types in my way of thinkin' ... basic (whatever it is) Rem Express finish works plenty good for me. I use the SGs to push through brush & would have a fit myself if I had a Royal Blue (a la Python) finish on one of my shotguns.

Sorta like leather seats in my 4X4 .... I got dogs that crawl all over the thing & if nothing else, I wouldn't let ME in my own truck if I had "rich, Corrinthian Leather seats."

You guessed it - I'm a pig. ;)

PJR
August 14, 2002, 06:53 AM
Depends on the situation.

Deep blued barrels with either a case colored or nickled recievers are my preference for target guns and upland hunting. For the wood, I prefer an English oil finish. Even if I don't shoot good, I'd like to look good. :D

For duck, turkey or deer hunting, camo with synthetic stocks.

Matte blue for predator control.

Paul

nascarnhlnra
August 14, 2002, 01:53 PM
Another vote for parkerized !

cwmax2000
August 14, 2002, 04:46 PM
what is the rem 870 marine magnum type of finish...thats supposed to be the best....saltwater etc....chris :cool:

Romulus
August 14, 2002, 06:50 PM
Parkerizing and blue, the former for the utilitarian SGs...I just can's see painting over a park job - I know it makes a good primer, but...

labgrade
August 14, 2002, 07:40 PM
Romulus,

Painting the park finish was to camo - a finish not available except at the after-market shops. I didn't have the $, or the time to screw with it. Ugly, but the turkeys don't care & that's all I cared about.

IIRC, that Marine Rem is an electroless nickle ..... though beats me.

CAH
August 14, 2002, 08:10 PM
I prefer a parkerized finish, as it looks good, its inexpensive, and easy to maintain. Just keep it wiped down with a quality protectant and you'll have no worries!

Just my take,
Clay

www.fp10.com
www.dsarms.com
www.midsouthshooters.com