PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 Customizing

Joe Taylor
July 21, 2002, 05:55 PM
Hello Out There

Just bought a new Mini-14 stainless with standard sight. I have a few questions for those who really know this rifle.

1) Does the stainless barrel have chromed lining?

2) Are there quality aftermarket barrels with front sights? I bought the standard model because I really have no intention of adding a scope, plus the sights seem much more durable than the ranch model. I might want to put a better aftermarket barrel on it in the future, but the ones that I have seen don't have a sight for the font. ie Clark Custom

3) I have a 30 round clip for it but it's a piece of junk. Who makes the better high cap mags?

I've read so many negative things about these guns but bit the bullet and bought one anyway. Shot it for the first time today, and I must say it shoots so much better than what I've read and heard. I'm very happy with the purchase.

Thanks

Jamie Young
July 21, 2002, 06:22 PM
but the ones that I have seen don't have a sight for the font. ie Clark Custom

I think Mini 14s look silly without front sights. That's one complaint I have with the barrels Clark Custom put on.

1) Does the stainless barrel have chromed lining?

No

Who makes the better high cap mags?

PMI and Ruger. Usually you can fix those junk aftermarket mags with new followers from www.brownells.com.

it shoots so much better than what I've read and heard.

You and Me both.:)

Andrew Wyatt
July 21, 2002, 09:17 PM
front sights can be found for plain barrel mini-14's, and I think clark will put one on for you if you ask nice.

Both of my minis are bone stock,and they outshoot me. (2 moa groups)

welcome to the club.

bad_dad_brad
July 21, 2002, 09:30 PM
Ditto answers to 1 and 2. As far as mags go, I have a USA 30 rounder after fiddling with it that works good. USA mags are a crap shoot, as I have a 10 rounder that is junk.

I have found a couple of 10 rounders that are made by the company that makes the Ruger factory mags. They work good! I think you can find them on the net at fourfourmag.com. I found mine at my dealers.

Note that Bushmaster has quite a lot of Mini-14 customization parts.

Mike Davies
July 22, 2002, 12:01 AM
Lots of customizing stuff for Mini-14's.....Here's mine. :cool:

Hkmp5sd
July 22, 2002, 12:53 AM
Lots of customizing stuff for Mini-14's.....Here's mine.

That looks like an "Assault Rifle"!:eek: You had better take all that stuff off and put the wood stock back on before that thing hurts somebody!

BTW, nice looking gun.:)

Halffast
July 22, 2002, 08:23 AM
Mike,

Be careful what you start! :D

Mike Davies
July 22, 2002, 09:43 AM
Halffast: Nice rifles! Who sells the flash hider/bayo lug/front sight combo?
Hkmp5sd: Assault rifle? Naw....that 20rnd magazine is plugged to our very sensible Canadian limit of 5rnds. Now we're all safer.:rolleyes:
Mike

TangSafetyM77
July 22, 2002, 09:56 AM
Joe,

Clark has a Choate front sight that is an additional $70 or so option. IMO, you will never realize the full benefit of a heavy barrel conversion on a standard mini. The reason is that it is impossible to mount a scope on a standard mini. I have tried several different mounts, and none of them will hold stable on a standard mini. I would reccomend taking a cheaper route with a standard mini, and finding a ranch model for an Hbar conversion project. I have an older (182 series) standard mini that was a 10 MOA shooter at 100 yards. I spent a total of $200 in modifications, and now the gun will do 2 moa with cheap factory ammo. I had a local smith perform the following on the rifle: trigger job (now about 3 1/2 lbs), recoil buffer, new smaller gas bushing installed for reduced recoil and more recoverable brass, firelap the barrel, install a new sturdier front sight/muzzlebreak combo, and bed the rifle. It has really given new life to the rifle. My smith, Mike Knifong, has a package deal. You send him your trigger group, and he will return it to you with a nice, smooth pull, a recoil buffer/gs bushing kit, plus a video on how to bed your mini.. I think the whole package runs $60. I like the idea of getting the gun to shoot without spending $500 on it:

NW Shooters Support
Beaverton, Oregon
Phone: 503-643-6136
"Mike in Oregon"<Mike.W.Knifong@tek.com>
Ballistics Consulting & Pressure testing
Laser Rangefinder & Varmint Bench Rental
Moly Coating
.45acp to .450 Magnum/.45Super Conversion Kits
Ruger Mini-14/30 Gas Port Kit & 4lb triggers
Ruger 10/22 trigger work

Best of luck with your new mini-14!

Halffast
July 22, 2002, 10:51 AM
Mike,

Sorry, I don't remember who makes those flash hiders. I bought mine at a gun show and had them installed about 10 years ago. I haven't seen any with the BL for quite a while.

David

Preacherman
July 23, 2002, 12:16 AM
Try the Express Sights (formerly AO sights, before that Ashley Outdoors) front sight and rear Ghost Ring sight. It's a great combination for the Mini-14.

edamon2k
July 23, 2002, 04:42 AM
Mike Davies:

what stock is that on your mini?

-d

Jamie Young
July 23, 2002, 09:12 AM
Here is SodaPop's pop gun..........

Hkmp5sd
July 23, 2002, 09:26 AM
If you guys don't stop showing off these guns, you're gonna cost me a lot of money. My Mini-14 is starting to look like a plain jane.:D

Jamie Young
July 23, 2002, 02:10 PM
Mine is a plain vanilla SS Ranch with a scope, strap, and $40 M14 clone muzzle brake.

Mike Davies
July 23, 2002, 11:04 PM
edamon2K:
The stock on my Mini is a Butler Creek stainless folder. Cost me $149 Canadian, or about US$90. It's really nice quality, and a perfect fit. It doesn't come with an upper handguard unfortunately, so if you have an older model with a wood upper, you'll have to find a plastic one if you want the all-plastic "look". The folder will fit OK with the original wood upper handguard, btw...just doesn't look quite as nice.
Mike

SharkmanDan
March 27, 2012, 08:20 PM
It really is a sad day, when (anyone, for that matter, BUT), a Canadian can have a sweet rifle like that, and it would be deemed illegal, here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, for the folding stock, and flash hider.
Now, muzzle brakes, and collapsible stocks MAY be legal, if they meet some specific criteria, but we Kalifornians better be watching closely, when those sneaky British Columbians, invade The PRK, with their invisible muzzle flashes, and concealed folding stock Mini-14's.

BTW-It's nice to know our good friends to the north can actually still own something like that, even if it is limited to only 5 rounds. I have pictures, from the 1930's-1950's, of my uncle Polar Bear hunting, in Canada, and was under the mis-conception, that maybe a few shotguns and .22 LR's were still lurking in attics, around the Great White North. But, that those folks were the "Canadian" version of outlaws.

stu925
March 28, 2012, 08:23 PM
3) I have a 30 round clip for it but it's a piece of junk. Who makes the better high cap mags?
Buy Ruger mags for it and you'll never have an issue. They're a bit more expensive but worth it in their reliability. I personally would stick with 20 rounders, the 30's just look a bit too long for my taste.

Stu

OHW
March 28, 2012, 08:43 PM
The only place to send your mini for custom work is ASI . Right near by in Colo.

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

These are the goods. The M1A clone looks good. But a satin Levang brake barrel would win .
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php

Skans
March 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
+1 on Accuracy Systems.

Art Eatman
March 29, 2012, 01:35 PM
Sheesh! Resurrecting a thread that's ten years old?

Ah, necrothreadia!