PDA

View Full Version : storing rifles in the attic?

imperative
July 13, 2002, 05:33 PM
Hi there -
what do you think of storing rifles in the attic? This time of year it gets hotter than a parking lot up in our attic during the day, and then cools down pretty quick.
If ammo was kept in a more stable environment, the attic should be ok for just the rifles, right?
I'm trying to think of ways to keep them secure without having a gunsafe, and it seems that between ceiling joists and under some boards might be a good spot. Secure from burglars, that is, not JBTs :)

Roybean
July 13, 2002, 06:12 PM
Before I purchased a safe I stored firearms in the attic with no problem. Some I put in gun cases and some I didn't I have a few there now in the original box. If you can't afford a safe at this time consider putting in an alarm system. The alarm system in addition to being another level of security also reduces your homeowners insurance around 10% where I live. Which is Florida

Quartus
July 13, 2002, 07:26 PM
Compare the cost of a basic safe to the cost of a decent handgun. You don't have to get the $1500 fireproof specials to have a safe.

Art Eatman
July 13, 2002, 08:31 PM
So long as humidity or humidity changes aren't a problem, an attic would be okay for rifles. Ammo, primers and powder oughta go into whatever's the coolest part of a house; usually the floor of a central closet.

Most burglars hit quick and easy targets. For gunsafes, even these sorta cheesy $100 WalMart specials will be some degree of deterrent, particularly if you lag-bolt them to wall studs.

Art

Archie
July 14, 2002, 03:24 AM
For the attic, you could build a plywood box and line it with styrofoam. You can get the stuff from Home Depot. Glue the styrofoam at the joints so it's airproof.

Add some bags of dessicant to keep the moisture under control. Your guns will reasonably safe from rust. And hidden in the attic makes theft inconvenient.

johnwill
July 14, 2002, 11:09 AM
IMO, unless you have very good ventilation in your attic, including powered fans, I wouldn't put my guns there! AAMOF, I still don't put my guns there, and I have three roof mounted fans. The wide temperature swings and humidity changes aren't going to be the best thing for a gun. I'd rather seal them in airtight cases and use dessicant to keep the humidity under control, and store them in the basement. The relatively constant temperature of the basement will be a far better environment for the guns than the attic, assuming you deal with any humidity issues as mentioned.

Redlg155
July 14, 2002, 11:17 AM
I play with mine too much to be climbing in and out of the attic!

Good SHooting
RED

stinger
July 14, 2002, 01:04 PM
I have never even been in my attic. I wonder if the last owner left something cool up there...I'll be back in a minute :D

Stinger

Jamie Young
July 14, 2002, 02:59 PM
Every person I know, that moves into a new house, gets the same "Once upon a time" story from me. Many older folks have a tendency to "hide" things behind panels or under floor boards.

About 20yrs ago (when I was little) My Mom pulled up floor boards in My attic and found two cigar boxes filled with bullets left from the previous owners. She called the police and asked them to take them away:rolleyes:

My best friend's Dad was a lawyer and handled estates. He ended up owning about 15guns because after some of the old folks died, and the houses went up for sale, he would go into the homes and check them out. He ended up with a gun collection.

Another time he was just about to sell a house and got a phone call from the Niece of the woman who's estate he was handling. She asked him if he cleared everything out of the "hidden room" under the stairs. He said "NO" and asked how to enter it. The woman's Niece came over and opened the paneling under the steps and low and behold a door to a 15'x20' room with no windows was there. They auctioned off $40,000 worth of furniture from that one room.

Moral of the story. YOU MIGHT HAVE TREASURE IN YOUR ATTIC!:) You may even find a hidden gun somewhere.

CheapSeats
July 14, 2002, 03:07 PM
Like SodaPop said:

A friend of my son's...father moved into a new home. In their they found...left behind...a 300 Weatherby Magnum with a Leupold scope on it that was worth more than the rifle.

I think the man of the house must have passed away and the Mrs. never knew anything about it.

Make sure your wife (if you are married) knows where you've hid the guns.

If you are undecided you can always send them to me...:D

imperative
July 14, 2002, 05:40 PM
I think if they were pretty well lubricated, humidity wouldn't be too extreme of a problem ... maybe I could do a 'test storage' for a few weeks ...

Quartus
July 14, 2002, 06:42 PM
Wow! You guys are reeeeely helpful!

:rolleyes:

:D

Kharn
July 15, 2002, 11:21 AM
Do I have any ability to sue if the construction crew didnt leave a gun for me in the attic?

Kharn