PDA

View Full Version : Tactical light mounting question>??

JASON KRASSOW
July 10, 2002, 10:09 PM
On my home defense shotgun I mounted a tactical light on the end, it hangs over the end of the barrel by almost 1/2", will this cause damage to it when firing? It is obviously not in the way of the opening, just close...Thanks...

Andrew Wyatt
July 10, 2002, 11:55 PM
Well, it all depends.

firstoff, which brand of tactical light did you use? I doubt it'll hurt sa surefire much, but it'll probably decrease any light's life expectancy considerably.

secondly, how is it mounted?
if it's one of those "universal" systems with a flashlight and a couple different clamps, it's more likely to be damaged than a securely mounted in a dedicated forend light would be.

how long is the barrel? is there a way to get it back behind the muzzle where muzzleblast won't harm it?

DML
July 11, 2002, 02:12 AM
I have seen quite a few 870s with magazine tube extensions the stick out past the muzzle. After a few shots the muzzle blast tends to remove the finish, but the tube is pretty close to the barrel. On the other hand I have seen quite a few 870s with 14" barrels and Surefire lights that stick out past the muzzle with no problems. It would seem that if the light is over an 1 1/2" from the muzzle you may not have a problem.