PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca shotguns

Slater
June 25, 2002, 09:03 PM
Never handled an Ithaca, or even seen one close up. What's the general take on this brand as far as fit & finish, reliability, etc.?

Dave McC
June 26, 2002, 06:22 AM
Top quality all the way.....

fal308
June 26, 2002, 09:11 AM
There's excellent if you're left-handed. With their downward ejection the hulls don't go flying in front of your face after racking a fresh round. Also the downward ejection is a little more foul weather friendly for hunting purposes.
Both of mine swing well. They also have interchangeable barrels available.

Skofnung
June 26, 2002, 08:31 PM
My favorite gun in the world is my Ithaca 37 field model. I have many other guns that I love, but I just can't miss with the 37. It ain't beautiful to look at (been around the block a time or two), but put it to your shoulder and swing it, and you will know perfection. If you are built like I am anyway.

Fit and finish on a like new old one is beautiful. I have not seen any of the new production models as of yet, but I would wager that they are better than most for the price.

Mine has never jammed. I do not care to think about how many times I have fired it. I bought it used about 10 years ago.

Find one and put it to your shoulder. You might just like it.

Al Thompson
June 27, 2002, 06:25 AM
The Browning BPS is a slightly modified M37. Good shotguns, excellent reputation around these parts.

BigG
June 27, 2002, 08:28 AM
Ithaca also made SxS and O/U back in the day.

The Model 37 was a JMB design. It was first made by somebody else (Rem?) then when the patent lapsed Ithaca began making them. Excellent gun.
:)

Hemicuda
June 27, 2002, 10:16 AM
for duck hunting from a boat, there isn't a finer gun... you don't have to chase your hulls overboard... they fall right into the boat...

they are a FINE weapon... everybody oughtta have at least 1... (mines a Featherweight 20 Ga., circa 1950's)

SDC
June 27, 2002, 11:32 AM
I've got one in riot gun configuration (someone cut down a 30" full barrel :( ), and I like it, but it's got a weird manual of arms if you're used to something like an 870. You can't just throw a shell into the ejection port and close the action, so everything has to feed from the mag.