PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 835 Questions

cuerno de chivo
June 2, 2002, 08:43 AM
Does the Mossberg 835 reliably feed 2.75" and 3" shells? I like the idea of the 3.5's payload but would like to be able use the cheap trap loads from Wal-Mart too. If I kept it loaded for "home defense", then I'd want the trap load reliability since I'd be using a light, 2.75" load in the house.

Are the Camo models synthetically stocked? I like to cut down my stocks to fit me.

Is it an overall rugged gun? I'd use it a lot. And it would get banged around like a "working gun" and not a "safe queen".

Most likely uses are hunting jack rabbits, coyotes, feral dogs, and hogs, self/home defense, and fun at the caliche pit.

TIA

PWK
June 2, 2002, 06:37 PM
My son has an 835 which he shoots skeet with all the time and with the Winchester SuperSpeed 2 3/4" shells from Wal-Mart. In fact we all use those shells in my Browning Gold Auto and my other sons 1100.

As for the reliability of the 835 I dunno. We go quail and dove hunting and it does fine for that. Haven't had any problems mechanically. Check it out here: http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/model835.htm

Popsicle
June 2, 2002, 09:27 PM
I never had any problems with the 835 I had. Used it extensively for sporting clays and skeet. I also hunted with it, but never fired a 3.5" shell out of it. Never had any intension to. I wanted the 835 cause I figured it was built just a little stouter for use with 3.5" shells. I too use the Wal-mart federal shells, and spent way more money on shells than I did for the gun. It never missed a beat. I sold it to a buddy on a budget, he has also shot the [email protected] of it, and it finally broke the safety. He did it while we were quail hunting... thought the gun was off safe and yanked the heck out of the trigger, which broke a piece in the trigger group. Heck, the gun still shoots great, and I am always hounding him to get it fixed. I would guess that 835 to have over 10,000 rounds through it, and if that doesn't speak for itself, I don't know what does.

Pat Brophy

rugerfreak
June 2, 2002, 10:19 PM
Just one thing---don't shoot slugs through an 835---because of the oversize bore.