PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about becoming an armored car guard (temporarily).

chaim
May 29, 2002, 12:52 AM
I am applying for a job as a armored car guard this week. I figure it may be a good job for while I am in grad school. I would make a livable (though not great) wage and I could leave the job at work when I go home (no work to take home, wow I barely remember such a job) after an 8 hr shift to free me to concentrate on my studies. It is with a big company so if I go to school out of state I should be able to transfer (something to find out in the interview).

Anyone out there do this job before? I am about 50 lbs overweight, do you think this will be held against me in the interview (I can carry the large sacks of cash, I sometimes had to for small distances when I was a bank teller)? How good is the training at most reputable companies? Would anyone consider doing this job without body armor (remember I'm 50lbs overweight and MD summers are bad- upper 90s and humidity to match with more than our share of 100+ degree days)?

Also, what kind of guns do most of these companies allow/require? I assume SA autos, like my 1911, are out. How about a DA without a decocker (like my CZ that allows condition one carry, in about a week I'll have two CZs, a 75B in 9mm and a 40B obviously in .40s&w)? Do most of these companies allow .357s? My assumption is that they would require me to carry .38s or .38+Ps but would carrying those in a .357 be ok? If none of these are ok my only DA gun with a decocker (or DAO) is my Bersa Thunder in .380 so I guess I'd need a new gun (darn:) ).

Actually, the signing bonus is good enough that I figure I would be able to get myself just about any new gun that I want ($2000) should I have to (or want to) so using an existing gun would just be while I decided. I figure I'd probably get a used S&W model 10 or a new Taurus 82 for under $300 and pocket the rest. For CCW (not allowed here) I'd have no trouble with a revolver, however for armored car guards I'm not 100% sure (my auto preference is spending about $450 on a CZ 75 BD or CZ 75 PCR, both with decockers the BD is full sized, the PCR is compact, or I'd spend under $400 on a CZ 100 which is DAO). Would you be ok with a revolver as a armored car guard? If I went with a revolver I'd have to practice using my speedloaders a bit and I'd probably carry my Bersa (with an extra mag or two) in backup (assuming this was allowed by the company and MD law).

jack_the_sailor
May 29, 2002, 02:13 AM
I've worked as contract security guard but never an aromred car guard. But I tell you some things. First the aromered car company will be regulated by what ever state agency regulates contract security/ private detectives. So you will have to fallow state laws for licensing. Also depending on the state your weapon might be regulated also. Now the company is looking for honest employees. They will preform a strict back ground check. You will be guarding large sums of money they have to trust you. How manny times have you heard of armored car robberies being an inside job? Training depends on state regs & or companies willngness to provide training. Some co will think training is a good thing some wont. Most states require munimum taining which amounts to this is how to shoot a revolver at a paper target. Gun choice/body armor. I'll take body armor first. When I worked as an armed guard I always wore a bullet resistant vest no matter how hot it was. There are all kinds of them on the market. Some have a cooling pad that can be inserted. While others are made to look like a sleeveless uniform shirt that is worn over your uniforn shirt & can be removed while in the truck. Guns may be regulated first by the state. Then by co policy. The most common security guard gun is a 38 revolver. Now if you have a choice. Heres a tip you'll be caring a 50# bag of money. If you have to shoot you will need to shoot 1 handed. So picka gun you can shoot 1 handed well. Here's something to think about robberies. When an armored car guard is robbed most are ambush style robberies. That means the robber is hiding. Then walks right up to the guard & shoots him in the head & takes the money. Most armered car guard get killed with out getting the chance to draw his gun. Back to the back ground check you must have a clean back ground. You'll be up against a lot of candidates. The armored car co is most afraid of guards stealing money. they are very selective. Do you still want to be an armored car guard?

Ala Dan
May 29, 2002, 05:27 AM
I would imagine that a large courier handling cash would
most certainly issue revolver's to new trainee's; as
it would be much easier for them to become proficent with
this type firearm. If this is the case, expect to be armed
with an inexpensive grade such as a Taurus 82 in .38
Special, cuz large scale company's with lots of employee's
aren't going to spend the money required to secure a
contract with other manufactuerer's like Smith & Wesson,
Ruger, etc. I do not think that any of the major player's
like Loomis-Fargo, Brinks, or others permit the use of
semi-auto's period. Just my opinion, based on my prior
observastions.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

22lovr
May 29, 2002, 06:34 AM
Not meaning to frighten anyone out of what they might want to do.....My cousin's first husband was an armored car guard and was murdered in a K-Mart heist many years ago in southern California. You ARE a moving target. For heaven's sake be careful.

Our airline routinely ships cash all over the country - shipments weigh in at about 4,000 lbs and as much as 60 million dollars can be handled in a single lot. I personally handle and load these shipments and even out at the airport, supposedly "sterile" and "secure", I get nervous and creepy even being around that much money. Do the math. Divide 60 million dollars by 120 parcels and you'll understand how much cash is in even ONE of these bundles!

Paranoid? I don't think so. Never underestimate the determination of evil-doers when enormous sums of cash are out there for the taking. Those desperate enough to take the chance will seldom leave anyone alive in their quest.

Vince00
May 29, 2002, 09:27 AM
Actually, I work for Brinks part-time and going to school. With Brinks, you can only carry the issue weapon. Here in CO, it is a DAO S&W with the hammer dehorned (more like cut off). But Brinks is slowly switching to a .40 semi-auto S&W. With other companies, you can carry whatever you feel but no single action and only up to a .40.
I suppose you will start first as a driver, know the routes and procedures, then switch to messenger. As someone mentioned prior, this is a dangerous occupation especially around Christmas. For odd reasons, bad guys think we are Santa Clauses. What I call the "open" season start right after Thanksgiving and goes all the way up to New Year, that is the period shootings start --death to be more precise and for the good guys, although there was one messenger that shot and killed one BG last Christmas. Most shootings occur in CA, and on the east coast.
And do wear your bullet proof vest, Brinks pay for half the cost of your vest thru pay deduction. They also share the cost to purchase the special vest for summer. But as you said, it is still darn hot.
My advice: drive in Christmas and hop (the term for messenger) after New Year. Be safe.

C.R.Sam
May 29, 2002, 09:50 AM
Good info above.

My $.02..........
Probably the best investment you can make in your life would be to ether dump that 50 pounds and add a little more muscle.

Heart
Knees
Back
Feet
hips
etc

Have to last a lifetime.
How long do you want them to last.?

Sam

Watch-Six
May 29, 2002, 10:45 AM
My son in law was an armored car guard for Loomis here in Utah. It was a real crappy company and a crappy job. The company exploited some interstate commerce loophole to avoid paying time and a half for overtime, but required plenty of it. The issue equipment was bad. A worn out S&W 357 revolver with only 38s authorized. No single action autos or GLOCKS allowed. I bought him a Sig P220 in 45, since I was interested in keeping him alive. Loomis was also chicken $hit about the vests. The one he had was way too small and held together by duct tape! He mostly worked as the "messenger" since the senior guy just gets to sit on his butt in the truck cab. The messenger hauls a lot of very heavy coin. It's not glamorous. It's dangerous work for poor pay. Luckily he got a better job and quit. Perhaps things are better where you live. Best. Watch-Six

tag
May 29, 2002, 10:55 AM
Several years ago, a AG was executed outside a Walgreens in Memphis in broad daylight. A vest would have done him very little good, since he was shot in the back of the head. I tell you this to make the point that it is a very dangerous profession and you will be a target. A sharp awareness of your surroundings will help you greatly.

I work for a bank and I get to observe the working of armored guards on a daily basis. From what I have seen they have very little training and even less firearms experience. The physical requirements don't seem to great, either. Their firearms are usually very old and can be poorly maintained. Make sure you pick a company that will provide a bullet proof vest and will allow you to carry a personally-owner firearm.

JBP
May 29, 2002, 12:59 PM
One of my students last semester was living in Columbia, MD and working as an armored car guard after retiring from the military. The company he worked for let him make the decision on what to carry (he opted for a 40 S&W; Ruger P944 I believe). He had to supply his own ammunition, go through an extensive background check, and be certified with his weapon (they did that at On Target). While he never had to fire his weapon he did have to draw it on more than one occasion when working in DC. Right before the end of the semester he opted for a more rewarding (and safer) job as a network administrator.

Ala Dan
May 29, 2002, 01:00 PM
Greeting's Watch-Six,

As most TFL'er's will agree, I think your son in-law was well
armed by your purchase of a .45 caliber Sig P220. Too bad
that "money courier's" won't spend that kind'a cash to keep
good people alive.:eek: :( After retiring as a LEO, I started
to do some security work for the Wackenhut Corporation;
that is, until I found out that I would be required to carry a
P.O.S. Taurus model 82 in .38 Special.:rolleyes: That damn
thing had about a 25 lb. double action trigger pull.:D With
that, there was no way on earth that any human being
could stay on target!!!:eek: Finally, out of respect for myself
I let Wackenhut have that damn job back; and I'm sure proud
of it. I could see myself armed with that POS guarding some
all night fried chicken house in the slum's of Bombingham, AL.
Not me, Jose; I will leave that chore to someone who really
needs a job.:cool: :) Oh! I forgot to mention that they only
issue six bullet's; 158 grain LRN that look to be at least 20
years old.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Carry24x7
May 29, 2002, 04:06 PM
There have got to be 20 other types of jobs that pay the same money and offer 1000 times less chance of being killed.

They supply a sub-standard weapon with sub-standard ammo and pay for HALF a vest. That says everything you need to know about what they think about you.

Watch-Six
May 29, 2002, 04:10 PM
Hello to you Ala Dan. With the limitations they put on him the P220 was the logical choice. I'm glad he never actually had to use it. Now he works for the US Army guarding some lethal chemical crap out in the west desert. At least they give him a M16 and a M9 pistol. They also pay better. Watch-Six

STEVE M
May 29, 2002, 04:51 PM
Yes the job is very, very dangerous, but contrary to some of the above opinions, the job is not all bad. The companies will only provide the min. state required training (not a lot), that's why they tend to hire ex military and retired leo's. If you don't think you know how to react to a danger situation, then don't take this job. Ranges tend to be very short, so a vest is much more important than the particular gun you are carrying (as long as it goes bang everytime.)
I would NOT carry a 380 in this job. Get the most stopping power you can control with 1 hand. In my area, most companies have their people carry privately owned, co. approved handguns. No single actions, no magnum ammo, some allow Glocks, some don't.
In case you are wondering, This is what I do for a living. I ALWAYS wear my vest, carry a Sig 220, and watch everything around me. Stay safe.

justice4all
May 29, 2002, 04:58 PM
Security work can be great for a student, but find something where all you've gotta do is sit there for X hours. That way you can be paid to study. See who has the contract to guard federal installations in your area and contact them. That's what I do, and it's a pretty good gig.

jack_the_sailor
May 29, 2002, 05:37 PM
When I was a kid in the 60s I use to see armored car guards. When they left the truck they had a bag in the left hand. In the right their 38 pointed at the ground. 2 guards left the truck. When they left the busness same way. Bag in left. In right hand, gun pointed at the ground. I guess all the PC crap changed that. Some armered car guards get 1/2 way decent training. I was working as an armed guard at a bank. Everytime the truck pulled up I would help with the door & watch the parking lot. 1 day the armored car guard asked me what I was doing. I said watching your back. He said don't stand so close to me. Because a shotgun blast could take both of us out. I didn't remember that from firearms training class. I learned something that day.

VaughnT
May 29, 2002, 06:00 PM
I've been working in the idustry for three years, now, and I absolutely love the work. I would never want to work in the office, but being out on-route is fantastic. And, yea, it can be dangerous.

Your weight isn't a problem. I weighed 450 when I started with Armored Transport Systems and I'm now down to 296. If you want to lose the weight, move that coin. Push yourself harder than you thought you could and you'll see ten pounds drop off in a month or so. Just be sure to drink plenty of water during the day (I have a 1g thermos w/plenty of ice, for the summers). Remember that you can be more than you think if you apply yourself. Heck, I'm the heaviest guy in the branch and no one else can beat my times.

As to the weapon, we are issued a S&W 686 in .357, but you can opt to carry your own. ATSys allows the 1911, but it has to have a firing pin safety (ala..the 1991 or paraord). Minimum barrel length is 3.5" for route personnel. Minimum caliber is 9mm.

Training is a whole nother matter. As has been mentioned already, most companies don't offer any serious training because it's far cheaper to gamble on your not getting shot. Brinks is thought to be very good in terms of training (firearms) but nobody does H2H or awarness drills. Other than range time, any other training will be classroom book-and-vids stuff, not physical learn-by-doing stuff. That's on your own.

Is it really dangerous? No. If you compare the number of guards shot and/or killed to the number of guards working in the industry, you're chances are really pretty good. The good news is that if someone does decide to hit you, you'll more than likely never feel it. You walk past a million people every day and any one of them could be a BG. You can't keep them all outside of your 21' protection sphere! And, hey, the element of danger does make the job a lot more fun.

If I was looking for a company, I'd go with Brinks. I can't say how it is out west, but ATSys in the south, so far as I've seen, doesn't impress me anymore. In fact, I'm looking to move on into something that demands more (nuclear security) and pays more. I like working in the security industry and hope to make a career out of it.

If you'd like more info, drop me a pm or email.

Oh, and to all you folks calling it 'hopping', get real. Are we cute little bunny-rabbits? Are we soft and cuddly, peacefully nibbling our way through this world? Hell no. We are the meat-eaters! We are the ground-pounders!

We jump. We jump hard. We jump fast. But we definitely don't "hop"!!! :mad:

chaim
May 29, 2002, 08:41 PM
Here's something to think about robberies. When an armored car guard is robbed most are ambush style robberies. That means the robber is hiding. Then walks right up to the guard & shoots him in the head & takes the money. Most armered car guard get killed with out getting the chance to draw his gun.

Not meaning to frighten anyone out of what they might want to do.....My cousin's first husband was an armored car guard and was murdered in a K-Mart heist many years ago in southern California

I am familiar with the risks. I worked in banking for 5 years, some of it as a teller. At one of the branches I worked the driver was shot in the face as he exited in order to get the cash (this was about 2 years before I started working there). I also know this doesn't happen much, though it only needs to happen once. Since many (most?) robberies seem to be shooting the guard in the face I do wonder how much the vest will really help.

Back to the back ground check you must have a clean back ground. You'll be up against a lot of candidates. The armored car co is most afraid of guards stealing money. they are very selective

That I'm not worried about. Other than a ten year old traffic ticket (I used to run red lights) I have absolutely no criminal record. I also have 5 years experience in banking where I was occasionally responsible for over $20,000 at a time (tellers usually aren't responsible for anywhere near that much).

Gun Selection:
I never really talked to the guards that came to my branches that much about their guns. Well, we talked guns but I never asked what they were allowed. Most carried their own, some revolvers but mostly semis. I do have two DA/SA autopistols in suitable calibers (I have a CZ 75 in 9mm and pick up my CZ 40 in a week), however they are CZs and don't have decockers. Well, this company has a $2000 signing bonus and I'm buying more guns anyway so this shouldn't be a problem if I wanted to buy a new semi (though I'd be more likely to go with a .38 revolver, if I went semi it would probably be a DA with decocker or DAO CZ).

Ala Dan, the newer Taurus 82 triggers are pretty good. I recently dry fired a new 82 and new S&W Model 10 back to back. The triggers were basically a wash. One (don't remember which) had a slightly better SA trigger and the other had a slightly better DA pull.

Training:
I would prefer to get something, more so I know those working with me know what they are doing. I have a little training and I practice my marksmanship and draw constantly. I also plan to try one of the formal schools (SIGArms Academy, S&W Academy, FrontSight, etc) some weekend this summer (hopefully).

Security work can be great for a student, but find something where all you've gotta do is sit there for X hours. That way you can be paid to study. See who has the contract to guard federal installations in your area and contact them. That's what I do, and it's a pretty good gig.

May be the best advice here. However, most security jobs for people without experience are unarmed. Many security guards are put in situations where they are sitting ducks and sometimes in bad areas. I'd like to be able to level the odds at least a little and this is an armed job where one doesn't need experience.

My son in law was an armored car guard for Loomis here in Utah. It was a real crappy company and a crappy job.

Watch-six, that is good to know. This interview would be with that company. Maybe I'll wait for Brinks to be hiring.

F350Lawman
May 29, 2002, 09:16 PM
I have never done it but I now retired LEOs who have. From what they said more important than the vest, the training and the guns is who they put you with. Some companies are known for hiring inexperienced persons or "burntout boozehound" former LEOs who aren't going to be much help if things go wrong. I would imagine if your the guy with a handtruck full of coins your partner is the only thing between you and the bad guys.

If you have a good crew half the battle is won.

Gonzo_308
May 29, 2002, 09:37 PM
on the Federal reserve route from Columbus to Cleveland and on alternating days from Columbus to Cincinatti. A pretty boring job with lots of time to study.

We were the only crew the company left together all the time since they wanted all the drivers to know all the routes. I was issued 3 uniforms (for a five day week) and a Smith and Wesson model 10 lightweight (tapered barrel) and all of six LRN rounds of ammo. I placed those items in my company locker and showed up for work with my model 66, 2 speed loaders and 18 rounds of 158gr. Hydra shok. Noone said a word except the driver of the truck (CDL license and an ex cop) He said he would make sure I stayed on his truck since he could see I cared about myself more than the company did.;)

All I can say is watch your back and don't be one of the guys that takes his safety for granted.

Reynold Williams was the biggest baddest guy I'd ever seen.

Could take 4 $1000.00 bags of quarters and carry them in one hand! One day after I'd left that job I saw on the news that he failed to look in the mirror before opening his door and when he stepped out of the truck BAM,BAM,BAM three to the upper chest at point blank range. All over a measly $1600.00 for a fast food joint that needed change.

He was in a hurry and just got sloppy! Damn good man. Just got too busy to be safe.

Vince00
May 29, 2002, 10:13 PM
It is my belief that Brinks is the better Armored car company out there. As someone mentioned before, Loomis Fargo does not pay overtime because the industry is considered DOT, therefore they can opt not to pay overtime. Loomis Fargo pays overtime after 55 hours (If I remember well).
Brinks, however, pays overtime after 40 and pays double time on holidays. Some things attractive as a student are the long hours, you could easily work a 12-hour day, this is really cool due to the fact one could rack up 30-36 hours in three days. And when school's out, you could work your butt off (55-70 hours a week). Brinks's training is ok but much depends on the firearm instructor in each branch, it's up to him to push it. The great thing about Brinks that I have not seen anywhere else is that the company provides uniforms, leathers, guns and again pays half of your vest. A 2-way radio is issued each day so the driver and messenger can communicate, and a nextel is in the truck in case of emergency. You may think this is standard, but think again. Next time, observe an armored truck....
Again when you compare death ratio to other occupations such as construction, or say cab drivers? Armored truck is pretty safe, but it is just the thought of someone waiting for you with your name on the bullet coming from behind. And yes, most of the time, they shoot the messenger in the head. Last Christmas, one guy that helped us here CO when our branch was growing too fast was shot dead in LA, leaving a young wife and a child. He was 22. Something to think about.

VaughnT
May 30, 2002, 05:15 PM
I'm back. I love to hear from other's in this line of work.

Definitely stay away from Loomis-Fargo, Chaim! I've worked around them, here, and they scare the snot out of me. They run some of the oldest, most-inept crews there are.

If you get partnered with a CDL-qualified partner, count yourself lucky. Most companies don't required training in this field, even though the trucks are all equipped with air-brakes....which is something you need to know about.

Like in anything, your safety relies solely on YOU! You have to be alert. Brinks runs a good crew, from what I've seen, but not all branches use two-way radios so the driver and guard can stay in touch. AT Sys doesn't use them at all, which we don't like one bit.

Tip: watch to see which side of the buckle your partner wears his speedloaders on, if he uses a revolver. If they aren't on the strong side, forward of the holster, he's a poseur and can't be relied on to help you in a pinch.

And, for all of you who don't know, FOUR thousand-dollar bags of quarters (aka: Fed-Ready bags) would weigh approximately Two-Hundred Pounds. Reynold Williams was definitely Big and Bad!

Penman
May 30, 2002, 10:19 PM
chaim,
Lots of good advice here, from people who know more about it than I. Just wanted to throw in a comment about checking out the company in your area-there's a reason for the $2000 signing bonus.

Zoom Wilson
May 31, 2002, 12:27 AM
chaim, I wouldn't sweat the "honesty" portion of the interview. I work for a small armored car company, and as far as I know, every male that works here, besides me, has a record. Most are former LEO's that are former for a reason. I do the hiring, job interviews, and file the background checks, so I know just how shady some of the guys are. As to the employer's worries about inside jobs, well it's much cheaper to pay the insurance than it is to hire guys you can trust (assuming you can find someone you can trust). As to the 50 lbs overweight, again, I wouldn't worry. If you can carry the bags, you can do the job. Not needing a haircut and always having a shaved face are much larger positives than a little weight around the middle. I've never heard a customer complain about a fat guard, but I've heard many complaints about long(er) hair, goatees(sp?), and stubble. Your banking experience will obviously help, and your good driving record (relatively speaking to what I've seen) will help tremendously. I often have to shuffle schedules around so that we can get at least one guy with a valid drivers license in each vehicle. As to guns, you sure you'll carry? In my state, most armored car drivers are not allowed to carry, and an employer probably will not want to risk an investment in getting certification for you to carry for an employee that might not be around for long. The biggest liability I can think of that you have is that you only need the job for a limited period of time. That's the only reason I've seen, so far, that would keep me from wanting to hire you.

If you don't smoke and/or drink, mention that in the interview. I've noticed you get about five more minutes of work per hour and much less wear and tear on uniforms out of a nonsmoker. Also, our customers are much happier with guys that don't smell like ashtrays. We pay for uniforms and cleaning, so smokers cost us much more than nonsmokers. If the guy hiring has experience managing, then he will appreciate finding a nonsmoker. My biggest current problem is keeping-up with who can't drive because of a suspended license from a DUI. I've got a whiteboard dedicated to keeping-up with names, dates, and schedules just for this purpose. If you don't drink, then there's no chance you'll get a DUI and suddenly have your license suspended for 30+ days, then say so in the interview. I don't know how many times I've had to scramble to find someone that could drive.

Are you a paranoid person? I used to think paranoid people would be good at this job, but the stress gets to you. Also, keep in mind that whatever you have in your hand is often a better weapon than mace or a knife on your belt. In December of 2000, I disarmed a guy with a knife using a bag of change. Even if I was allowed to carry gun, I don't think I could have diffused the situation any faster. Finally, don't be an idiot and try to be macho when faced with a bad guy. Nothing you could be carrying could be worth your life. Get rid that attitude before you start. It's your job to protect the bags, but only to a point.z

geegee
May 31, 2002, 09:07 AM
I''ve had two jobs as an armored truck guard. My first was with Brinks in Canada, during the mid '70's. I was going to college in Ottawa, and got to work there part time. It was a great part time job for a student: I could work just about any shift I chose, and at the time, as many hours as I wanted.

Before I started there, the Ottawa office of Brinks held a long standing distinction of never being held up. Pretty good considering all the major banks there, as well as the Canadian National Mint. That enviable record came to an end in about 1976 or 1977. One of the crews was held up delivering money to a mall. The were approached from behind, ordered to not turn around, and put the money down. The crew chief, a great guy and family man named Maurice (Mo) Prudhomme, just reacted to the voice, turned, and was blasted with a 12 gauge shotgun. Killed at the scene. A very avoidable tragedy, as he surely would have handed over the insured cargo he was carrying.

Another more interesting robbery took place in Canada in Montreal in (I believe) 1976. There was a Brink's truck that covered all the major banks in downtown Montreal. It seems that every morning the driver and crew would stop for coffee (at the same place, same time), then drive to a major bank where the crew would take a freight elevator downstairs, then deliver and pick up their cargo. While this was taking place, the driver had a daily routine of drinking his coffee, while also reading his paper ! This was done of course by holding it up, and thus obscuring the truck's windshield.

One day while reading the paper, the driver hears a rap on the window, looks to his left , and sees a guy standing there, pointing ahead. The driver puts down his paper, looks up, and there sits a delivery van with the rear doors closed. When the doors are opened, there's another guy sitting behind a .50 caliber machine gun, mounted behind sand bags! Merde! Having been in the military, he knows that once that thing is fired, it's rounds will go through the truck like a hot knife through butter (they ain't armored enough to stop that). He gets out (the one thing you're warned never to do), waits for the crew to come up with their haul, and once they show up, the rest of the crew is forced to open the truck, then tied up. I'm a little fuzzy on the total amount they stole, but I believe it was around $20mm+. As far as I know, only a small portion was ever recovered, and that came many years later. FWIW, the .50 cal was not assembled correctly, and thus could not have been fired.

My second stint came in Houston in 1980. I took the job as a part timer, while I was studying for my securities license (I've been in the investment business since 1981), after I had moved down to Houston. I worked about a year for Purolator (since acquired by Loomis). Once again, there was a deadly shooting during a hold up. I had the day off, and was listening to the radio when I heard that one of the crew chiefs was killed during a robbery.

This is a job that can be unbelievably boring and monotonous, but if you don't pay attention, the results can be disastrous. Stay heads up! geegee

justice4all
May 31, 2002, 05:18 PM
I mentioned federal government contract guard jobs because they are armed. The company I work for likes to hire veterans, but takes who they get. We're paid pretty well, too, for the industry.

Around here lots of hospitals employ armed guards, that might be something to look in to.

Even if you were to work for an "unarmed" company, that doesn't mean you cannot carry with a CWP, depending on the state laws regarding carrying in a bank. Of course, that doesn't have the deterrent effect.

Find a job where you sit behind a desk all evening, or something where you can read. You need to study hard so that you can learn what you must to get a better job. That should be your focus.

chaim
May 31, 2002, 07:24 PM
As to guns, you sure you'll carry? In my state, most armored car drivers are not allowed to carry, and an employer probably will not want to risk an investment in getting certification for you to carry for an employee that might not be around for long.

In MD all armored car personnel I've ever seen carry and since I worked in banks for five years I've met many.

The biggest liability I can think of that you have is that you only need the job for a limited period of time.

I am making sure to look for a company that is at least regional so that if I go to grad school out of state next year (about 80% likely) I may be able to transfer. I am also going to be completely forthright about that at the interview so they have no surprises come July when I ask to transfer in September.

Are you a paranoid person?

Alert but not paranoid. I am very aware of my surroundings ever since I was jumped and beaten by five guys a decade ago (for no other reason than the fact that the buddy I was out with was black).

I mentioned federal government contract guard jobs because they are armed. The company I work for likes to hire veterans, but takes who they get. We're paid pretty well, too, for the industry.

I will look into that. Being in the Baltimore-Washington area there sure are a ton of government buildings and headquarters around here.

RAY WOODROW 3RD
May 31, 2002, 09:24 PM
I would go with Brink's over the other companies out there. All the other companies don't go 50/50 with you on a vest. They do. They will pay up front and have it to you as fast as the vest company can ship it. Also, with Brink's, YOU can decide on the vest YOU want. No matter how expensive. If they give you a problem just tell them that it came down from the company top that YOU have to have the vest of YOUR choice. This was decided at the Trenton N.J. branch (which now doesn't exist as of this year) Only work 8 hours? I doubt that my friend. I was working it part time and was racking in 6 to 7 hours a night. Brink's also has their own firearms training that they send all of the Firearms Instructors to AFTER they first go to the N.R.A.'s Law Enforcement Instructors Course.. So the training is uniform. YOU will loose weight throwing coin! just try not to break those boxes or bags of coin. It's a real pain in the kiester to pick up. Alter you routes as much as possible and just remember, forget the gun at your side. That truck is one hell of a weapon! My partner and I had an understanding. If someone was holding a gun on me and he or I was able, we were to try to run us over in order to distract the bad guy. Always be aware. Especially if your doing ATM replenishments! Take care and God Bless.......;)

jack_the_sailor
May 31, 2002, 10:29 PM
Since armored car cos are regulated by the state. In the new state you have to go thru a new licensing procedure. It's a formality. But some states like IL are a hastle. You need an FOID card to posess a gun. Then you need armed guard training. Which might be different than the previous state. Also in IL you need a new armed guard training card for each new employer. 6 mounth back ground check wait for AGT card. So fo a new AGT 6 mounth wait. Go to work for a new employer 6 mounth wait for new AGT card. If you don't have an AGT card you can't work armed. So each state you work in you need to get licensed by that state.

chaim
June 1, 2002, 10:05 AM
So I guess it would be best to wait until I find out for sure where I am going to graduate school and if it ends up being out of state wait until I get there to start applying?

I will be going to graduate school to be a school psychologist or child counselor so I could get a job working with kids over the summer and be happy and get some related experience over the summer. Then I could get a security job when I move and start grad school. Does this sound like a better plan? If I do this what is the typical policy of most of these companies if you take an unarmed position but you are in a CCW state (I will probably go to grad school in a CCW state) and you have a permit?

Gary L. Griffiths
June 1, 2002, 03:44 PM
I was an armored car messenger right out of college, 30 yrs ago before the Army joined me. It was some of the most physically demanding work I've ever done (and I was raised on a farm). Money is HEAVY. Wait 'till you start throwing around $1,000 boxes of quarters!:eek:

Back then, the company issued S&W model 10's, but I carried my own 6" Model 28 Highway Patrolman. Some of the guys didn't even carry a full cylinder, and I'm fairly certain that some of them had never fired their weapon. The driver had an 870 Remington in the cab, also.

Good luck, if you choose to do this. Keep your eyes open, and don't try to be a hero.

jack_the_sailor
June 1, 2002, 09:46 PM
Check with each state you might work in. Find out which state agence regulates armord car services & find out the licensing requirments. Once you know the licensing requirments then you can make decisions.

justice4all
June 4, 2002, 10:57 AM
"If I do this what is the typical policy of most of these companies if you take an unarmed position but you are in a CCW state (I will probably go to grad school in a CCW state) and you have a permit?"

The company's policy is going to be that unarmed means unarmed. But all a company can do is fire you. If the law says you can carry concealed, I would not be too concerned with the company policy.

Vince00
June 4, 2002, 09:45 PM
The state of Colorado does not regulate gun licences, I believe it is an open carry state. However, the city of Denver regulates licences--yeah, someone had to come in and snatch that free money. This is means that if you work in the city of Denver or the branch is located in Denver, you have to follow Denver's law. Outside of Denver, you could legally carry a firearm and be a security guard. But most if not all security companies follow Denver's requirement.
Here, Brinks does not carry shotguns in their trucks. This is due to Denver's stupid law that does not allow it.

M58
June 5, 2002, 08:19 PM
Really need to think why you want this job.
Is it the gun or the job.
You could make more money doing other things.

Dwight M S
June 5, 2002, 11:19 PM
Git out thaire'n git them goniffs, cowboah! ;)
Dwight M S