PDA

View Full Version : Where to get 28 Gauge shells inexpensively

Redwood
May 25, 2002, 01:27 PM
When can I get 28 gauge shells inexpensively? thanks...
Oh, how @ hulls to get into reloading??? Any known sources there???

dfm
May 25, 2002, 05:17 PM
The only way to have a cheap, steady source of 28 gauge ammo or hulls is to steal them. No pun intended.

dfm

dick w. holliday
May 25, 2002, 08:41 PM
There is no such thing as a cheap 28 ga shell--i advise friends who want to shoot their 28 ga's to buy some remington or winchester new shells by the case and then get a cheap single stage loader to load them--i'd say a MEC single stage---by the way-----i think the 28 ga hull has the shortest reload life of any hull---hell-i've seen new winchesters split so much as to be non reloadable the first time they were shot....the Remington may be a little better.....Dick

Dave McC
May 25, 2002, 08:58 PM
Various folks I know that have 28 gauges relate to a man that the gauge is more fun than they'd believe possible, and that staying stocked with ammo is a neverending annoyance.TTBOMK,all reload, one bribes range personnel for once fireds. These are scarce, all other 28 gunners are looking for hulls also.

If I were a 28 gauge owner (unlikely), I think I'd have to do caseloads, and use a MEC 600 to extend their use ALAP.

colbat
May 25, 2002, 09:41 PM
I have found some Italian 28ga sold under the
Mirage name that are cheaper than AAs but I don't
know anything about reloading them. The best way
to get hulls is as stated previously, buy new AAs or Rem and go from there. I use a Hornady 366 and
have used a mec 600 but if you shoot much go
with the progressive. I haven't noticed any difference in case life.

K80Geoff
May 26, 2002, 07:31 AM
Spend the money and buy AA's or Rem STS factory loads and take good care of the hulls.

Most progressive reloaders are finicky with 28ga hulls. Particularly federals. I use a MEC9000 and it only likes AA's and Remington hulls.

Around here a 28 ga hull never hits the ground. :D