PDA

View Full Version : Wolff Springs for a Grock

CrociJA
May 18, 2002, 10:24 AM
Hope I don't confuse anyone with this.
Saw that Wolff makes some 18lb recoil springs for my Glock-21.
As I have said before, my history with this pistol has always been problematic. 1911's, Browning's, Baby Eagles, etc...Don't have a problem with but when I go to polymer the pistol always seems to stovepipe and jam.
Talked to someone and they said sometimes this is a result of "limp-wristing", so they advised going to a heavier set of springs.
Question:
1) How does increasing the strength of the springs prevent this from happening (if at all)?
2) Looking at the recoil spring on the Glock, I don't see how you could replace it without getting a new guide as well. I mean how do you get the spring off?

Hope this wasn't confusing,

Thanks,

Jon

KP95DAO
May 18, 2002, 02:22 PM
I use a Wolffe 24 lb spring and steel guide rod for my Glock 32. That's with a recoil buffer. When I use the FAC 40 bbl I use the factory guide rod and spring assembly. I have used several Wolffe springs to make up for heavy loads.

The strongest one I have used is a 26 lb spring for my 1911. It still didn't do enough to tame those 185 gr JHPs at 1500 fps. Ok, so that is a stout load. I don't shoot it anymore.

C.R.Sam
May 18, 2002, 06:39 PM
Stovepipe with empty or the next (loaded) round ?

Big difference.

Sam

Inspector Callahan
May 18, 2002, 06:47 PM
You will need to get the steel guide rod from Wolff, along with as many springs as you think you'll need. This will save on future shipping charges. I recommend getting at least three springs if you plan on keeping the gun for any length of time. Cheers.

CrociJA
May 19, 2002, 03:14 PM
C.R. Sam-
Empty round actually gets caught. One thing I have noticed is that it tends to happen exclusively with S&B 230 grain FMJ's. When I put Federal 230 grain Hydrashocks through it, no problems.
I'm thinking I should go to other brands. But I was always under the impression Glock's "ate anything".
I've run Fiochii, S&B, Winchester and Federal FMJ's through my other firearms with no problems (both 9mm and .45).
Guess I should increase my Glock's diet, but truth be told I just do not care for the pistol and I'm thinking of putting it back "on the bench" in my safe.
Get a jam probably once every 25 rounds with S&B FMJ. I have segregated out my factory mag's, and found that about one in four tends to be a problem child.
Called Glock about the problem and they said to ship it to them and they would see what they could do.
But I really like to try to solve my problems at home, without shipping a firearm through the mail and paying $25.00 in insurance.
Inspector Callahan-
Appreciate the tip! Will do.

Thanks,

Jon