PDA

View Full Version : What's the most challenging species you've ever hunted?

H&H,hunter
May 8, 2002, 07:08 PM
I think that a big old feral hog who's been shot at a time or two is right up there, smart as a can be. But mountain sheep of any kind are probably the most challenging physically. I guess we could include toughest to bring down as well.

I'll tell you another one that's tough customer to put lead into and thats a wiley old coyote whos felt the sting of a bullet before!

Any opions on what the most challenging critter in the world would be? I'm thinking some type of Himaliyan mountain sheep or goat I just don't know.

Ewok_Guy
May 8, 2002, 10:25 PM
Mice are a pretty tricky game. Lil' bastards can dodge a .22 like nobody's business! ;)

Subby
May 8, 2002, 11:45 PM
Being from N. Appalachia, I'd say ruffed grouse. Being a loner with no dog, they're tough to bag. Flush 20, see 5, have a "shot" at one. They'll humble you real quick.

Sub

priv8ter
May 8, 2002, 11:56 PM
Snipes!

H&H,hunter
May 9, 2002, 12:03 AM
Priv8teer,
Well worry no more we are offering an all inclusive snipe hunt for only $8000.00 minus airfare and trophy fees.

I'd have to agree with mice, they are some .22 dodging little suckers.

MeekAndMild
May 9, 2002, 12:27 AM
Crows: with rules being no artificial calls (only voice calls), no decoys, no blinds, no bait.

Jason280
May 9, 2002, 09:10 AM
The neighbors dog, especially while he's locked up in the neighbor's house...

Fatelvis
May 9, 2002, 08:20 PM
Coyote. Smart and sneaky!

Art Eatman
May 9, 2002, 08:46 PM
Sorta mumblin' and thinkin' out loud: The most difficult physical challenges would be animals in high-mountain terrain. However, since the odds are they don't get hunted as much, they're maybeso not quite as "cute and cunning" as, say, a mature white-tailed buck that's managed to dodge hunters for half-a-dozen years. Maybe the same for muleys, I dunno.

I imagine any animal of an often-hunted species will be wilier about self-preservation than those which depend mostly on location for security.

I guess this leads to a breakdown into two groups: Those which are a physical challenge just to get into their turf and find them within shooting distance, and those which truly challenge your actual hunting skills to find them even when you pretty much know where they are and the walking is easy.

Art

H&H,hunter
May 9, 2002, 09:37 PM
Art
I think you hit on something there. All of the sheep hunts I've been on are a physically challenging ordeal. However once you find the sheep the hunt is pretty much over as they ain't to tough to put a sneak on.
Then there are critters that are just plain tough to put a sneak on. Any of you guys ever try and put a stalk on a prong horn buck on day two of the season??

yorec
May 10, 2002, 01:48 AM
Anybody ever hear of someone taking a mountain lion by any stalking method? That's gotta be the toughest to successfully accomplish.

Art Eatman
May 10, 2002, 07:16 AM
yorec, the best way to stalk mountain lions down in the Texas Big Bend country is to let them stalk you. Just amble around the country in an area where tracks are common. If you hear an occasional faint noise behind you, use your "rear-view mirror". :)

Or you can set up in view of my trash-burn pit with a good book, and wait...

Art

Poodleshooter
May 10, 2002, 03:04 PM
For me. Whitetailed deer in the Appalachians, on public land. They're hunted hard, have widely varied and periodic food and water sources, and multiple routes of travel. Every year I hunt I see dozens of turkeys, and very few deer.

Art, doesn't the clanking sound of the big brass balls it takes to stalk lions attract their attention and ruin the stalk?
:D

Art Eatman
May 10, 2002, 04:59 PM
:D If a lion took out after me, he wouldn't have nearly the good traction I would.

Art

H&H,hunter
May 10, 2002, 10:44 PM
As long as we are talking about lions...... I've heard that one of the most hair raising expierences on gods green earth is stalking an african lion in thick cover. I've also just recieved some information on a leapord hunt in the Kalihari that is done with a bushman tracker and is a tracking hunt on foot for ole spots. thats got to be a little on the western side I'd think.

As far as Mt lions go you can ask my mother what one looks like up close and un-wounded. Thats right I said my mother. She had a close encounter with one about 15 years ago. She had one get into her chicken house and close the door on it self. Unbeknownst to her at the time. She went down to grian the birds and thought to her self kinda funny thought she left the door open last night. In any case when she opened the door she was standing in the imediate escape zone of one highly agitated large cat. No one was hurt but both she and the cat made tracks for the hills. The cat ran her over on the way out but didn't leave her with so much as a scratch. Lucky I guess. That same winter lots of dogs started to disapear from neighboring ranches. I figure it was a young cat trying to make a living anyway he could. I ran him once out of season and caught him but returned the favor and let him go. As far as I know he's moved on and taken to normal cat activity far and away from people. Kinda tough to kill a lion who had the chance to do so to your own mother.

Zorro
May 11, 2002, 01:01 AM
Toss up between Black Bear and a Crow.

On second thought not really, Black Bear is FAR harder to trick than a crow without using a some type of bait.

Particularly a Black Bear near a city (Colorado Springs).

yorec
May 11, 2002, 01:22 AM
Ah come on Art - that's baiting and you know it! ;)

But Mr. Warden sir - I wasn't using any bait, it's just lil ol' lonesome me out here...

Truth be known - the only encounter I've ever had with a cougar at handgun ranges was when I turned to see one stalking me just as you described. I wasn't hunting then, and I sure wished I'd had a handgun with me at the time. Sure know what you mean about that traction situation...

H&H,hunter
May 11, 2002, 11:22 AM
Last night I called a friend of mine who has hunted the world over several times. He votes for the African Bongo Buck. Tough to find and they live in some helaicious rain forrest so I'm told.

As far as Black Bear goes I'd have to respectfully disagree on that one. I've killed four Blackies on foot without the aid of dogs. Two in the lower 48 and two in AK. As long as you have the wind advantage and know were to look they are actually kind of a push over to find and put a stalk on. If they are feeding they tend to loose track of there suroundings making the stalk pretty easy. The two I killed in the lower 48 were both close to town. A hungry bear is a stupid bear.;)

mountainman454
May 11, 2002, 05:16 PM
I'd have to say trickiest to hunt are Elk. Their senses are uncanny and they are so unpredictable!you can scout the same heard all summer into fall, but the day you go to hunt them you find they've decided to move 8 ridges over for no reason that you can see. You have to work real hard to get one. A horse helps cover ground immensely, but it's still 90% luck.
For a real challenge, try a grizzly. There's something real exciting about hunting a 1200lb animal that'll hunt you right back!

Bud Helms
May 12, 2002, 05:23 PM
Large Mouth Bass.:D

Zorro
May 13, 2002, 01:08 AM
Well Sense the moderator Breached the Aquadic Barrier....

Brown Trout!

VERY Difficult!

Art Eatman
May 13, 2002, 06:52 AM
Now, Sensop. You know danged well that the greatest challenge in hunting is to discover the wily federal bureaucrat who will assume responsibility for the consequences of his decisions--and be held accountable.

Getting back to halfway serious, I've long been amazed at how quickly a coyote learns from the misfortunes of his buddies. You call; several come to the sound of that poor, dying rabbit. You shoot one. Well, forget about the rest of them ever coming back to that sound.

Art

12-34hom
May 13, 2002, 07:18 PM
I would also have to go with Crow and Yoties.

I've never hunted Pronghorn Antelope, but i read and talked to those who say they are very difficult to stalk & hunt.

12-34hom.

Art Eatman
May 13, 2002, 09:18 PM
12-34, they seem to vary. I'm not sure they're wily like an old whitetail buck, but when they're skittish, they're difficult. And then sometimes they stand around like an old tired cow. Dangfino.

My only antelope came from a ranch north of Marfa. He was the first one we saw, and he waited patiently for our return. In the meantime we had glassed some 40 others, all of whom were skittish and none as good as El Primo.

There are often bunches of them along US 90 around Marfa. They just stand by the highway fence, counting cars...

:), Art

Art Eatman
May 13, 2002, 09:21 PM
This is some of my hunting country.

From that red rock outcrop to the cream-colored triangle toward the left rear is some six or seven miles. Where I'm standing is some 600 to 800 feet above the low, rolling country below. Doesn't sound like a lot, unless you're hunting uphill. :)

MLH
May 14, 2002, 10:40 AM
'nuff said.:D

Borf
May 14, 2002, 08:50 PM
Dang Art! Keep posting pictures like that and you'll get overrun with new neighbors!

H&H,hunter
May 16, 2002, 08:24 AM
Hey Art,
What's land selling for down in your part of the world? That's some real pretty country. I'll bet it gets hotter than h*** down there in the summer. Is there any public land about for hunting? Or do you lease or what?

Art Eatman
May 16, 2002, 11:06 AM
Overall, the 20 miles from where the picture was taken, to my house, is around 60,000 acres of private land with no residents. It's cut up into 20- and 40-acre tracts. "Terlingua Ranch", and there is a website.

Many people bought into the deal in the early 1970s, and some of them have pretty much abandoned any interest in it. Haven't paid the taxes nor the "condo fee" for maintenance of the "roads". You can find back-country tracts for around $50 an acre, more or less.

It's pretty much 4WD country, and six-ply, non-radial tires are best. "All-Terrain Radials" aren't.

I've never seen it get above 120 in summer...:D Nor below two degrees in winter.

Quite a few javelina, but sparse on deer. Lotsa walking, and it sure helps to know what sort of locations they prefer. (Bucks only) Pretty good for whitewing doves and blue quail. Fair coyote calling, and the occasional lion.

Here's an aerial shot looking north; the vegetation doesn't show, from some 4,000 feet up. The previous photo was shot from (roughly) under the wing strut of the plane, at the upper right; its view was some 45 degrees right of the mountains, to the SE.

JasonReed
May 16, 2002, 05:16 PM
Art, that's pretty country.

Like they say though, nice place to visit but... I'm a New England boy recently transplanted to Colorado. Not enough trees out here as it is, I think I'd go crazy down there! I'm thinkin' the next time I get itchy feet I'm heading for the Pacific Northwest.

Art Eatman
May 16, 2002, 08:14 PM
Jason, just run west out of Fort Collins, or get down to South Fork and on up toward Creed. Oughta be enough trees to suit you. :) Heck, fair amount of greenery west of Boulder.

For sure, if you want rain forest, the Olympic Peninsula of Washington will do you just fine!

Art

H&H,hunter
May 16, 2002, 10:06 PM
I don't know Jason,
I just moved to the Denver area from NM and I'm feeling down right closed in not to mention over populated.:D
It's all a matter of perspective I guess. I'm thinking of goiong down to Terlingua and buying a couple thousand acers and settin some barbarian desert women loose on it.

Justin
May 17, 2002, 01:11 AM
Art-

I've never been hunting, don't know anything about the sport, and until about a minute and a half ago had no inclination to go hunting.
But those pictures you posted just made me want to jump out there and walk through that land.

Art Eatman
May 17, 2002, 09:12 AM
Caliban, come on down! Overall, there's better'n a million acres of it. Northwest from my house, it's over forty miles before you find anybody...Javelinas and coyotes don't request that you shoot'em, and they're fun to meddle with.

Gotta admit, though, what with solar panels and the like, we're starting to get some winter hermits in campers on some back-country tracts. But they're mostly Good Old Curmudgeons, who don't care much for Pavement People.

Greybeard
May 19, 2002, 08:44 PM
Art - Thanks for posting the pix. I needed that! Just recently made road trip to Ohio. Almost solid trees - tall trees - most of the way thru at least Tennesse and Kentucky. Coming back, one of the most rewarding sights was in Arkansas, when I finally got to an area that had been cleared enough to see an irrigated field. Nothing like getting back to Texas and being able to see for miles!

Justin
May 19, 2002, 11:13 PM
Art-
I'm mightily tempted to take you up on that offer, but I don't even know the basics of hunting.
Me being the consumate city-boy, I'd probably get all lost and eaten by coyotes or something like that.
Still, it doesn't change the fact that I would very much like to learn how to hunt, and it doesn't change the fact that there are parts of the world that are beautiful and rugged that I would like to visit.

H&H,hunter
May 20, 2002, 12:06 PM
Caliban,
You have a self fullfilling prophecy there. By learning how to hunt you'll get to see some of the worlds most rugged and beautifull country and by seeing more of this country you'll become a better hunter. I say proceed immediatly.:)

Art Eatman
May 20, 2002, 04:34 PM
Caliban, the hunt is of two parts: First the search and then the kill. The first part is the more difficult, but a gun isn't necessary and seasons need not be considered.

Find any tract of land, public or private, away from any notably built-up area. Find a good "sittin' spot", where your shape isn't skylined and you have a view of an edge of woods and either an open field or lightly-covered brushy area. Go there about an hour before sundown, and just sit until dark. Think to yourself, "I am a rock." (or log) Do your best to imitate such, as in don't wiggle or twitch. Nothing wrong with taking a folding chair with arms. Mainly, you want the wind coming pretty much toward you from your viewing area in front--or have a cross wind.

It's amazing how many critters will be moving in that last hour or two of daylight, particularly when the moon is coming full. (Predators gotta work harder, then, so they start earlier.)

Another thing is to amble slowly in a wooded area, preferably with soft-soled boots. Look all around, take a few steps, stop and look all around. The trick is to glance down and figure your next few steps before you walk. That way you won't break twigs, and can continue looking around instead of at your feet. Slow, I said! Maybeso a few hundred yards an hour, or even less as a function of density and terrain.

It takes practice, just like being a mechanic, doctor or jeweler. Nobody was born an expert anything. Always remember that.

Some reading for the flavor of the outdoor world: Anything by Ernest Thompson Seton--although around 100 years old, they're timeless. Ruark's "The Old Man And The Boy" and "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older". They're timeless, as well. These books aren't really about "how to hunt" so much as give a feel for the whole thing.

clem
May 20, 2002, 09:33 PM
Man.

Clem
USMC Retired

ballistic gelatin
May 22, 2002, 04:48 PM
Looks like Military Surplus Land to me. Bomb testing and the like.
Say, Art, those animals don't happen to glow in the dark do they? Do you?

Justin
May 23, 2002, 01:05 AM
H&H Hunter-

I think that you've definately hit upon something. Within the next year or so, I should be able to begin acquring gear and such. (Gotta get established at a real job-type job!)

Art-

I've done some hiking in a semi-wooded area that's secluded but not too far from civilization. About the wildest thing I ever saw was a possum while on a night hike.
Seems that what I'd need to do is find that sittin' spot to just hang out in. The second big thing would be overcoming the whole short-attention span thing. The curse of being gen-x, I suppose. :)

ballistic gelatin
May 23, 2002, 07:49 AM
MLH said,Red Headed WomenI can vouch for that.

Art Eatman
May 23, 2002, 09:30 AM
b g, some of that country isn't just barren looking, it's by-golly barren as in bare! However, most of it has enough brush that to see a deer, he'd have to stand on his hind legs and wave.

:D, Art

Zorro
May 25, 2002, 11:04 PM
Looks like Lincoln Nation Forest in Southern New Mexico.

One of my prefered hunting grounds!

Flat shooting calibers are mandatory there.

Started with a .270, went to .300 Win Mag and then to 7MM Remington Magnum. Could do as well 99% of the time with a good 30-06.

;)

Mike86
May 26, 2002, 03:30 AM
I must be doing something right,

Red headed woman.... Got one, .......NEVER AGAIN!
Brown Trout,... Can do, no real problem. At least one a year (2 ft'ers
Elk, ....... My last one was 1400 lbs, one of the guys I work with nailed his 2200 lb bull less than 10 min into the day this year. Ran right to him less than 100 yards from the truck.
Pronghorn,.... Yeah, there tough but not super hard if your a steady shot. (read; not me)

Now them gosh darn chipmunks are giving me fits! I swear they stand there and egg me on.

BTW, yeah we grom 'em big in So Oregon.

Art Eatman
May 26, 2002, 09:13 AM
2,200 lbs? Elk? On scales in front of witnesses? 'Scuse me, but I've had Hereford bulls that didn't go THAT big. (A couple of Brahmas, as well.)

Sure it wasn't a case of "Mr. Magoo Shot A Buffalo"? Sounds like the city feller who came in from a deer hunt with the claim, "I shot a six-pointer!" Yup. Two up, and four down*. :D

Art

* For the folks in Marin County, that's a cow.

Mike86
May 26, 2002, 09:44 AM
I figured I'd get a "no way" comment on that.

Yup, 2200 lbs on the hoof. He didn't field dress it because he wanted to know the actual live weight as best he could so Bill called me and asked me to come out and pick it up for him (I drive for a loacl towing company part time so I took the flatbed and winched it onto the bed. I weighed the truck on the way into town on the state truck scales then went back after unloading the carcass for processing, a difference of 2230 lbs was noted. Figureing fuel usage I came up with 2200.

I also do livestock transportation seasonally so I'm fairly accustom to estimating the weight of cattle, from a distance I had guessed about 1900. That was the largest one I have ever seen, 1400 to 1600 is about normal range with some over and some under around here. Theres something about this area that makes for big animals, but this one must have been the arnie schwartzanagger of elk.

H&H,hunter
May 26, 2002, 09:29 PM
Ok guys,
a 1400lb bull breaks the world record by several hundred pounds but a 2200 Elk! That's a spell bigger than most Yukon moose and most Cape Buffalo and any quarter horse and most percherons and all toyotas and most wifes.
But I tell you what the next time I need a critter weighed for the books I'm going to use your scale!!:D

Rebeldon
May 26, 2002, 11:05 PM
The toughest game I have ever hunted has been rabbit! That's because whenever I have gone hunting for rabbit, I never see a rabbit. That would make it very tough!

I see rabbits all the time when I don't have a rifle or shotgun handy.

Fatelvis
May 27, 2002, 11:07 AM
Rebeldon, thats because you have to be "Vewy- vewy quiet!" :D

Rebeldon
May 27, 2002, 07:01 PM
Fatelvis,

That was a good one! :D

slick slidestop
May 27, 2002, 07:52 PM
For me, South Dakota Ringnecks with no dogs and no "blockers" in rows of Corn and Milo. Very humbling experience.

We were young and dumb (I was visiting and had never hunted Pheasant) When I finally hunted with a dog I really felt spoiled ;)

Mike86
May 27, 2002, 10:59 PM
H&H, rather call me a liar check your facts and see what species those "record elk" you refer to are. 1400 for a tule elk is huge but not for a roosevelt, those are known to average 1300-1400, with 40+ lb racks in some cases.

Roosevelts are the largest of the 6 sub-species, tule are the smallest. We actually have both around here.

Art Eatman
May 28, 2002, 08:04 AM
Mike86, expound a bit on the location and hunt regs for the Roosevelt elk?

Art

Mike86
May 28, 2002, 11:22 AM
Art, regs are pretty simple. Everything is controlled, limited # of tags obviously. .24 cal or larger centerfire firearm during general firearm season. Tags come in bull, spike only and either sex varities(sp?). Officially the area has Rocky MT and Cascade species with Roosevelt and Tule known to be around also. (Note: Cascade isn't one of the 6 known sub-species to my knowledge)

Most of the people I know, myself included, are getting tags in Klamath, Sprague, Keno, Silverlake, Interstate and occasionally Rogue units. That area is the south centeral part of Oregon, from about Crater Lake NP south the the OR/CA border and from the higher elevations of the cascade mountain range east into the high desert.

Success rates have been in the 10%-15% range, which is at, to slightly above, the state average.

Here's a link to the online regs incase you want to investigate.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/ODFWhtml/Regulations/orh02.pdf

Art Eatman
May 28, 2002, 04:30 PM
Thanx. Wuz at Crater Lake, a number of years back; drove down from Portland, and then SW through Rogue River and on to California's coast highway...

Art

H&H,hunter
May 28, 2002, 07:02 PM
Mike86,
Now simer down no ones calling you a liar. I said you need to have your scales calibrated. Here are some facts, I assumed you had to be talking of the Rosevelt, even so. The American book of Mamology lists the average weight of a bull elk at around 700-800lbs. the largest recorded weight of any live elk is slightly over 1200LBS lets assume that that must have been a roosevelt. And I'll give you the extra 200 lbs for a total freak. That Elk would have been an absolute giant larger than most 16 hand horses.

Now lets look at some other facts the largest recorded modern bull elk ever shot was a 449.1/4 point bull taken in ND his estimated live weight was 1100-1200 lbs that is the current modern standing world record. For any species of Elk.
The largest recorded and established dressed weight for an elk was weighed in 1995 in Michigan The elk was killed during the Mi sept season By Mr. Steven Wittenbach and that ELK weighed 830Lbs field dressed so we can safely say he may have weighed 1100 lbs on the hoof.
I have hunted and killed roosevelt elk in Wa and they are bigger in body than a rocky mountain elk, however they are not all that much bigger.
Now as far as the 2200 lb elk I do not doubt that somehow this value was derived but it had to be some type of equipment failure, miscalibration or some other weight was added to the truck with out the participants knowledge. If in fact this animal did weigh 2200lbs he was a complete freak of nature, he should have been offically scored, there are a bunch of cow elk in your area with broken backs and I'm getting a bigger gun. ;)

Mike86
May 28, 2002, 08:25 PM
H&H, nothing good is going to come from this exchange. Your going to keep quoting book knowledge and B&C points and I'm going to continue with the facts I've gained from being there. B&C points have little to do with weight, only rack size, and your info is out dated. Currently the point record is 496.x points.

BTW, you'll need to ask the state if you can use the scales, they own them and certify them yearly. If you reread my post you'll notice I used the state truck scales, the weighmaster was the one who tagged it for Bill.

Now I don't know if Bill submitted it or not, I could care less. All I'm saying is we exceptionally large elk around here. With good genetics and a few mild winters in a row it's not impossible to have extremely large animals

Now that I've refuted your claims that I'm wrong or simply mistaken I'll make it a point not to check this thread any more.
Thank you for making a new guy feel welcomed.

JAMES L.SMITH
May 31, 2002, 10:39 PM
:p Most challenging? Florida ANTS!

Rebeldon
June 19, 2004, 09:43 PM
Termites

Rich Lucibella
June 19, 2004, 11:12 PM
The 250 lb hog that the originator of this post told me to "spot" for him because my 45-70 couldn't reach out 150 yards to touch! :eek:

Rich

rwilson452
June 20, 2004, 05:31 AM
Of course, the most dangerous game of all. it shoots back

leadbutt
June 21, 2004, 02:19 AM
Polarbear, only aninal I have faced that was hunting me in return for hunting it

Rmouleart
June 21, 2004, 02:44 PM
Well there is a couple of ways to look at this. A trophy buck hunt is very challenging, takes a lot of patience and perseverance to out smart a trophy buck, he didn't get old and big being dumb. Also challenging, a animal that will hunt you as well, like a german boar hunt, its amazing how a big boar is not afraid of nothing, they are like tanks in the field. I got mock charge a year ago on a german boar hunt, after downing a good german boar, his buddy snarled and charged with in twenty yards stopped near a tree and tore it up while still snorting at me, he notice my scope Marlin 450 guidegun was pointing at him and he decided to get out of dodge, good thing I could not afford another Hog LOL. Really got my heart going;) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.http://www.hunt101.com/img/030022.jpg

animal
June 23, 2004, 12:16 AM
The neighbors cat ...
It likes to sleep and sharpen its claws on the wife's car...
I can only take a shot when its owners are gone or in bed. :D
It's wicked FAST and seems to be able to wake up, run and dodge at the sound of the shot. :eek:
Information for the cat lovers out there : I'm using a paintball gun.

carebear
June 23, 2004, 01:14 AM
Yeah, but are you firing PAINT?

.oO( cayanne kitty :D )

Rmouleart
June 23, 2004, 12:44 PM
Speaking of cats, there use to be a big cat in the neighborhood would get up on my ride and claw my seat, man did that get my blood going, I setup waiting for the cat one day with a pelletgun using plastic pellets, He showed up to jump on my bike, I nailed him right in the a*s, now he see's me and runs, no more claws in my leather seat;) LOLAim small hit small. RAMbo.

cleve land
June 23, 2004, 01:53 PM
Dragonflies with a BBgun

Spinner
June 23, 2004, 05:56 PM
Following on from Art and H&H's comments early in the thread about challenging environment combined with elusive and wiley prey I would submit that Himalyan thar and to a lesser extent chamois in New Zealand's Southern Alps would have to be very strong contenders.

The habitat itself is challenging .... scree slopes, glacial cut valleys, alpine tops, snow, ice, sheer drops, wild spaniard (a wickedly sharp and seemingly very common plant that lays hidden in wait ready to stab poor unsuspecting hunters that are only sitting down to catch their breath from a particularly steep climb), rapidly changeable weather, etc. The quarry are rather wiley and elusive too. They've been hunted from helicopters and on foot for many years and the ones that are left are the cunning ones (or the descendants of the cunning ones). They can spot hunters way down in the valleys and tend to high-tail it outa dodge with alarming speed considering the sheers drops and minimal footholds. Scenic flights and passing aircraft can totally destroy an otherwise perfect stalk to within vaguely shootable ranges.

Your rifle must be laser flat in trajectory and superbly accurate to allow you a reasonable chance of shooting one of these sneaky beasts but ideally should weigh about the same as a packet of instant noodles because you will have to lug it (and a pile of assorted gear to cope with the rapidly changing weather) up a seemingly impossibly steep and never-ending slope, through very tough and deliberately awkwardly sized montane vegetation (see comments about spaniard above) in time to see the last animal in the group disappear over a ridge with a disdainful wave of its tail.

Thar are truly magnificant animals that can move at impossibly rapid speeds around incredibly treacherous terrain. I have the greatest respect for anyone who has hunted and bagged a true trophy thar in New Zealand, particularly in the last 10 years following various Government sponsored eradication attempts. No matter how fit you are, you'll rapidly find you ain't fit enough to hunt thar without significant effort. You will never have any trouble sleeping after a NZ thar or chamois hunt.

hps1
June 26, 2004, 06:10 PM
animal:
[QUOTE]The neighbors cat ...
It likes to sleep and sharpen its claws on the wife's car...

Never could get a shot a the one that messed up the new paint job in the middle of the hood of wife's car, but found solution in the form of a mouse trap tied to rear view mirror with about 8' of parachute chord.

Found the trap at end of rope several days in a row before el gato found a better place to sharpen his claws. :D

Regards,
hps

armabill
June 26, 2004, 06:36 PM
Humans. Very clever and unpredictable.

animal
June 27, 2004, 03:10 AM
hps1 , I might just try something like that ... I'll have to make sure neighbors don't notice me setting a trap for their precious feline.
I've got to do something soon. Wifey's car is going to get a new paint job in about a month and my baby (a '53 Austin Healey) is coming home from the shop about the same time. I've already tried wiring an acel super coil to the frame but it doesn't work ... The thing always jumps up on the car. He never touches the car and ground at the same time. :( ... unlike (forgetful) me .

FirstFreedom
June 30, 2004, 05:58 PM
Cayenne Kitty - lol - add a little butter, saute, throw in some veggies and potatoes, and voila - you've got yourself a fine meal. So many cats, so few recipes....Just kidding - I like cats and wouldn't kill one myself. I could however see shooting one with a paintball to teach it a lesson. :)

Now that we've discussed the hardest species, what's the easiest? What species/style would you advise to gain confidence in a newbie and get someone addicted to hunting?

hps1
July 4, 2004, 06:06 PM
I'll have to make sure neighbors don't notice me setting a trap for their precious feline.

Animal:
That is precisely the reason for the parachute chord!

Humorous sidebar, a few weeks later, the neighbor's four year old son came over carrying the cat (which was nearly as big as he was) and rang our doorbell. My wife answered the door and the cat panicked; unable to restrain the cat, the youngster said, "gee, missus ------, I don't know what's wrong with this cat, he usually doesn't act this way." :)

Regards,
hps

Hkmp5sd
July 4, 2004, 07:01 PM
What's the most challenging species you've ever hunted?
http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/slbm/pl941ak1.jpg

rwilson452
July 4, 2004, 11:06 PM
I stalked one of those big black things for three days once. the boss wouldn't let us shoot it.

Bud Helms
July 5, 2004, 01:28 AM
I haven't seen anyone mention turkey!

V-fib
July 5, 2004, 11:17 PM
I'll second on the Turkey followed by whitetails. :cool:

Any .45
July 6, 2004, 08:37 AM
The Flies in the backyard, it's hard to hit a fly with a .45, or the roaches in the attic, the SO gets mad everytime a put a hole in the roof. :D

bytor
July 6, 2004, 06:05 PM
For common game animals in the lower 48, I would
have to say a wily ol blacktail buck. here in Wa, its
so thick they often will just walk into a thicket and
a hunter can be 10 feet from them and never know
they're there. I know this from experience, and how
i missed out on a chance on a nice 5x5. My buddy
looking down on me from a logging road seen the whole
thing from about 250 yards away with his binoculars.
the beast heard me coming walked into a small thicket,
and just stood there as I came up on him, I knew a deer
was somewhere around i caught a glimpse of a body, as
I was walking up the small incline. I had no clue he
was there, my friend said I was standing right next to him for about 10 minuites, I went forward, after I was
about 30 yards away, the deer came out and started to
follow me. then went down his excape route. Gotta
love them blacktails!! Of course if you jump one, they usually run about 15-20 yards and then stop to see what
jumped them........go figure.

Zorro
July 12, 2004, 12:27 AM
Humans, Water Buffaloes don't have Claymore mines or Brains.
\
:rolleyes:

Toren
August 9, 2004, 09:05 PM
Mountain goat in the Canadian Rockies.
I thought I was in good shape...I was wrong.
Three days before we saw them, another day to work close, a day to complete the stalk...and one shot to miss.
But it was stunning country and just to sit with a cup of coffee and look at the mountains was all the reward I could ever have wanted.

Bandit01
August 10, 2004, 12:04 PM
My ex-girlfriend :D

Johnny Guest
August 10, 2004, 07:04 PM
Back on page two of this thread, on 05-13-2002, 09:21 a.m., you posted “The Playground.,” with an image - -
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3554.

Is that taken from about the place where we went on 3 or 4 July, and the kiddos dug up some resurrection plants?

“Oh that I had the power to describe the wonderful country as I saw it then.”
James B. Gillette, on the Big Bend area, in Six Years With the Texas Rangers, 1875 to 1881 as quoted by Tom Lea in The Wonderful Country.
(From memory - I may have a word or two wrong.)

Johnny

myopicmouse
August 11, 2004, 04:46 PM
woodpigions (when using air rifle) You can hear them but they're always buryed so deep in the crown of the tree they spot you before you can spot them, and they have better eyesite than magpies.

FirstFreedom
August 20, 2004, 02:00 PM
Hey, speaking of tough hunting with air rifles, blue jays are smarter than heck...they never sit in one place more than a couple seconds, and they look around closely before flying down to the ground to get food, then off again immediately. Crows too of course, but crows' smarts can be overcome with their weakness - the susceptibility to game calls.

Hotbarrel
August 27, 2004, 12:44 AM
Chukar, followed by Mountain quail.
"The first time is for sport and afterward, for revenge!"

stevelyn
September 6, 2004, 03:33 AM
I have to say Eastern Wild Turkey. Followed by brown bears. Not because brown bears are physically dangerous, but because they're no where to be found when hunting them.
Normally out here on the Penisula you can't turn around without bumping into one. Bears in the yard, bears in the dumpsters, I've even seen one in the back of a pick up. Buy a bear tag and walk out the door with a rifle and they vanish. I've often told folks who've asked about bear protection out here to buy a bear tag and carry a rifle. I guarantee they'll never encounter bears.

nico
September 9, 2004, 02:13 PM
My ex-girlfriend
haha I was about to say "my girlfriend." I had to stalk her for about 2 years before I could get a shot :p

I don't have enough experience to add much to this thread, but it was a good read :)

bullfrog99
September 19, 2004, 12:48 AM
yellowjackets, definately. Taking on a horde of stinging insects with nothing more than a pellet gun can be an invigorating experience. Try shooting the little devils in mid air with a 1.77 wadcutter and bear hunting starts to feel like grocery shopping :D

canonoch
September 19, 2004, 04:16 PM
For me every species is difficult.

When was the last time you all seen a 400+lbs man go hunting in the woods. For me it was when I look in the mirror after my last hunting trip.

Ryder
September 21, 2004, 04:40 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth canonoch (although I'm not overweight). I can't recall any species that didn't try real hard to avoid being hunted. They're all tough! Guess that's why they call it hunting.

canonoch
September 24, 2004, 02:09 AM
Yep and the darn critters look at the hunting regs like we do. Except they're look at how long they got till the have to leave for the city, while we head for the woods at the same time. :)

FirstFreedom
September 24, 2004, 10:26 AM
Well, you have to have the right weapon for yellowjackets - it's not a .177 pellet - it's a bottle of Aqua Net and a lighter. :)