PDA

View Full Version : winchester 101

EricM
May 3, 2002, 10:22 AM
A co-worker is selling a Winchester 101 with the following description:

Winchester 101 12 ga. Pigeon Grade : Fast handling gun, 27" tubes, Briley chokes,gun is nice and tight. Wood has been refinished. This is a nice upland O/U that won't break the bank.

Price is $700 obo.

Any comments on the price?

huntsman
May 3, 2002, 10:37 AM
maybe a bit high for a refinished gun, depends on what the wood looks like. how is the blueing to me that's a bigger issue and how many rounds have been through it.

PJR
May 3, 2002, 11:08 AM
Winchester 101s have a reputation among some shooters for being hard kickers. I've never found them so but you might want to give it a try before buying if possible.

As always it depends on what you want to do with this gun. For hunting, skeet and sporting it sounds like a good choice although 27" barrels aren't the current fashion for target games as the trend is to 30" and longer. One of the better pheasant hunters I know swears by his 101 and will shoot no other.

I wouldn't worry about the refinished wood and if the gun is tight and otherwise without serious blemish the price sounds reasonable.

EricM
May 3, 2002, 11:17 AM
It will be for overall use (hunting, skeet, etc.). Many of the 101's I've seen on gunbroker.com are $1k or more. I imagine these are higher quality or just unused?

I'm not too concerned about barrel length. I'm currently using a Mossberg 500 with modified choke for skeet :).

Omaha-BeenGlockin
May 3, 2002, 11:53 AM
If the blueing is not all worn off----jump on it.

Go look at new O/U's for $700---mostly crap.

EricM
May 3, 2002, 12:03 PM
One more question: is this shotgun suitable for steel shot?

TaxPhd
May 3, 2002, 12:08 PM
Definately shoot it before you buy.

Buddy has a 101 and loves it. However, it beats the h**l out of my face. Same loads in my 682 Gold are pussycats.

This isn't a good gun/bad gun issue. It's a fit issue. If it fits you, sounds like a good deal.