PDA

View Full Version : Weirdness in Illinois--Daley to run Blagojevich campaign?

Don Gwinn
May 1, 2002, 03:50 PM
Apparently, Daley (Mayor Daley) has signed on to manage the Blagojevich campaign for governor. This is odd because Daley doesn't like Mell, Blagojevich's father-in-law and the one who put him up to running. Conventional wisdom was that Daley wouldn't lift a finger for Blagojevich because he didn't want Mell running the Governor's office (and everyone knows Mell would be in charge, not Blago.)
It's also odd because Blago has been trying to emphasize his commonalities with people downstate. In fact, he lost the Democratic primary in Chicago and still carried the state. Hiring Daley at such a high profile looks like a step in the other direction.

My opinion is that this probably means some kind of elaborate deal between Mell and Daley. There's a quid pro quo in there somewhere.

Jeff White
May 1, 2002, 04:15 PM
Might be a good thing for us. Daley and the Chicago machine are pretty much hated and reviled down here. It'll be another way we can hurt him. Many people down here already thought he was Daley's boy, now that confirms it. I've spoken to some local people involved in Democratic politics here, who don't think Blago will do as well in the general election as he did in the primary. Voter turn out was pretty light on March 19th. Guns and his ties to Daley will hurt him here....I intend to do everything I can to see to it in Marion County.

Jeff

Kingcreek
May 1, 2002, 09:50 PM
Daley didn't mind having a republican George Ryan at the guv's desk because he (Daley) has alot of leverage on poor George in the form of a certain Federal prosecutor. Daley wouldn't have had this advantage with the Dem Poshard and he won't have it with RINO Jim Ryan if elected.
You can bet the swords were sheathed and a deal was made in the mayors office and the Chicago mobster intends to have it his way for another 4 years.
What a choice. It sickens me.