PDA

View Full Version : What to do with tanned skins?

AndABeer
April 27, 2002, 05:41 AM
I am expecting my trophies from RSA to arrive anytime now. What to do with the heads is obvious but I also have the skins coming as well, kudu, impala, and black wildebeast and am not clear on what my options are there. They could also be hung on the wall or used as floor coverings but I was wondering what else might be done with them.

Art Eatman
April 27, 2002, 10:41 AM
It would mean cutting, but I've seen a fair amount of furniture covered with hair-on hides.

I'd have to try it to see, but maybe it would be attractive to have a hide on the wall with the head centered on it. A "total exhibit", as it were.

Or on a wall as a backdrop for any other souvenirs you brought back--masks, knives, that sort of thing.

FWIW,

Art

H&H,hunter
April 28, 2002, 01:47 PM
I've got a full size Gemsbok skin on my wall it looks great and is a great conversation piece as well. Also a great PETA dectector.

Then there is the Celtic solution.

You can cut the tannned strips into apropriate sized lentghs and circumfrenece sow them together leaving an opening at one end. they are supposed to make a very good profalactic.

Hairy side out of course.:eek:

LONGRIFLE30
May 1, 2002, 09:19 PM
Well, I shot a 4-point axis and the head and hide are presently being taken care of at my taxidermist. I plan to just hang the hide on the wall under the head-mount.

ballistic gelatin
May 3, 2002, 05:03 PM
A guy I work with uses hides to make his own "rifle sock". He stores his blackpowder in one and it looks really cool and makes for a great story.

AndABeer
May 4, 2002, 02:12 PM
an interesting suggestion, rifle rugs for the rifles that took them, though i dont want any ****** off animal spirits after me

ballistic gelatin
May 9, 2002, 02:03 PM
You are what you eat, so the critter that covers your gun is your servant. He goes with you to help you hunt better.

Goet
May 9, 2002, 03:09 PM
Depending on the hair length, knife sheaths.

Do a search for leatherworking sites. You should get some ideas.

That is if you want to chop it all up.

Otherwise, wall display or center of floor.

Ever kicked a stuffed bear rug in the head?
Ouch! Sharp teeth.

ballistic gelatin
May 9, 2002, 03:12 PM
a new t-shirt and matching shorts

Goet
May 9, 2002, 03:16 PM
or caveman underwear...

Steve Smith
May 9, 2002, 03:19 PM
Make them into a dress and wear it around with your ******* tucked between your legs?

OOPS! Wrong forum...sorry!

ballistic gelatin
May 9, 2002, 03:49 PM
http://www.amctv.com/amc/img/onemillionyears3_175x241.jpg
Now that's what I'm talking about!