PDA

View Full Version : Madsen M50

ACP230
March 23, 2002, 10:10 AM
Has anyone used the Madsen M50 9mm subgun? If so, how did you like it?

Johnny Guest
March 26, 2002, 03:56 PM
Friend of mine used to have one, and we'd take it out with some other full auto stuff from time to time. Simple, durable, reliable, easy to strip.

I seem to recall it was quite controllable for an uncompensated gun. Cyclic rate was low--Probably 450--500 rounds per minute. I think he only had two magazines and this particular gun was reliable with both.

Ergonomics were poor, though--The safety required manipulation with the non-shooting hand, and you could not fire it one handed without making arrangements to defeat the "grip safety," behind the magazine well. I mean, what reader of comic books or watcher of action movies would tolerate a submachine gun you couldn't one-hand like a big pistol? (Most of my SMG experience has been on the Thompsons and MACs, which undoubtedly colors my perceptions of "proper" SMG control layout.)

This was in the mid-1980s to early '90s. The M50 was about a $400 gun back then--less as a dealer sample. Just didn't seem worthwhile to pay half that amount to register one. Wish I had a dozen of 'em NOW, to use as trading stock!

All this is very subjective in recall. I never made a study of the gun--Looked it up in Small Arms of the World when friend first got it. Some pretty good photos in International Armament, vol 2, I believe. I seem to recall the gun was pretty popular in Central and South America for a time.

Hope this helps--
Johnny

ACP230
March 27, 2002, 09:22 AM
I was interested to hear other people's experience with these guns. I have shot one a fair amount and liked it. It is controlable and easy to shoot. Novices take to it quickly, and mags are still pretty cheap. I wonder what one would do with a scope mounted on it somehow?

Johnny Guest
March 27, 2002, 12:16 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a scope mounted on a subgun which fired from open bolt. The MP-5 series seem to do okay with low power scope sights, but probably better with red-dot sights of various marques.

As discussed in a prior thread, hits with an SMG at longish ranges are feasible, shooting on semi. I was able to get decent "area fire" with Jim's Madsen, but only by leaning where to hold and firing two- to four-round bursts.

I can't think of any kind of clamp-on scope mount that would work on a Madsen, and I'm notr sure if I'd want to drill or weld a mounting plate in place on a "collectable" gun. Of course, if you had an old beater you got cheap - - -

I dunno. Never gave it any thought, to tell the truth.

Let us know what you decide.

Best,
Johnny