PDA

View Full Version : New 870 owner with a few questions

Kevan
March 19, 2002, 05:13 PM
This is really funny, I was a guy who used to say he had no use for a shotgun. Now I'm addicted to them!! I first bought a 1300 Defender a few weeks back and today I got me a Rem 870. This is a 870 Express with a 28" vent-rib barrel and 3" capability. Now I have a few questions about this shotgun. I've looked through the archives and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

1.) Where can I get a 18 to 20" barrel UNRIFLED for slugs and buckshot? Who has the best deal for one? I would prefer one with a bead, not rifle sights.

2.) Who sells an aftermarket safety that I can use to replace that silly locking safety? I don't need that darn thing. And is it hard to replace it?

3.) What's the better dimple-removal method; grinding them off with a Dremel or drilling them out?

I'm real happy with this 870! Great action, great gun. Gotta have it, had to have it.

Shotgun364
March 19, 2002, 05:26 PM
Dont have much to say :rolleyes: except, Welcome to the REMINGTON family!!! :D

Dave R
March 19, 2002, 05:53 PM
May not be the cheapest place, by Cabela's has 'em.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0005760212137a&navAction=push&navCount=1&indexId=cat20805&podId=0005760&catalogCode=IC&parentId=&parentType=

Nalle
March 19, 2002, 06:16 PM
Congrats to your purchase!!

Im very happy with my rem 870 supermag synthetic I bought last summer. The best way in my experiance is to dremmel the magnotches out from the inside. I guess drilling is ok too, but since me and mr dremmel took care of the problem so nice, I never got around to try the drilling =)

Dave McC
March 19, 2002, 06:43 PM
Congrats, you've just gotten a wonderful tool that'll feed and protect your family for generations.

Best price on a bead sighted short bbl would be at whatever local gun shop does the police inventories and turnins. I've seen them for $75 or so recently. A 2 3/4" chamber will do fine here.

Check threads a few weeks ago, DML had some on sale for very nice prices, he may have some left.

Wilson had some safeties for sale for $4, IIRC.

Now, buy ammo, use up, repeat(G)...

9mmMike
March 19, 2002, 07:17 PM
You're in big trouble mister!
I was in the same boat as you. I am a dedicated pistol shooter with little time for those cannons, or was.......
I got an 870 Express and in no time, I had two.
I have since expanded my very small batch of weapons by a couple rifles but I have yet to find anything as fun as an 870. For the cost conscious, it is very cheap to shoot as well. I am hooked.
Anyway, short barrels are a dime a dozen. I see them on Ebay, gunbroker, autionarms all the time for well under 100 clams. There were none to be found locally for me so that's the way I went.
I use the 20" rifle-sighted barrels on both of my 870's.
I don't know where to get stock safeties except maybe online or at a local smith. Wilsons and Vang Comp sell "big head" safeties but they seem like solution to a problem that does not exist, at least to me.
I used a hammer/dolly and dremel method to remove the dimples on mine and they both turned out great. Search the archives for dimple removal. There are a ton of good threads on that procedure.
Welcome to the madness of SG's!
Mike
PS. I still shoot my Glock every week but nothing is as satisfying as bustin' those clays! Now I need to get out right away. Maybe a sick day.....

Kevan
March 19, 2002, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the advice! I usually spend about an hour or so every day perusing the archives to catch up on what I've missed. I didn't know shotguns were this fun!

Skunkabilly
March 20, 2002, 12:28 AM
Hehheeh hey KEvan, what's next ,a Benelli? :D

Fezwig
March 24, 2002, 08:44 PM
I have been on the lookout for awhile for a barrel and I have found slim pickin's until I saw that DML had some for sale for about $45. I got mine from the big brown truck last Monday and it is just what I wanted. It has a perfect bore and it's not as scratched and roughed up as I expected for 45 bucks. All in all, Good Deal!

Fezwig

Kevan
March 24, 2002, 09:00 PM
I will be getting one from him as well. At those prices, one cannot pass them up.