PDA

View Full Version : what type of 10mm pistol is best?

12-34hom
July 7, 1999, 02:39 PM
i have been reading with interest about the 10mm round and pistols that fire it. I know that COLT & S&W both made weapons for this round. I have two 45's one a para-14 and H&K USP. Was looking for some other caliber too shoot and 10mm sounds like a good one. Any thoughts or comments on this round and or types of guns? Thanks for any replies in advance? 12-34hom - out.

BigG
July 7, 1999, 02:57 PM
I have the Colt Delta Gold Cup. It is stainless steel and has Colt Accro adjustable target sights. A Gold Cup locks up a little bit more solidly than the standard gummint model, due to better machining in the locking lugs and mating surfaces. It also uses a two stage recoil spring. Other than that, it looks like standard Colt Gold Cup fare. I also installed a plastic recoil buffer between the recoil spring and its guide, as I have in all my 1911-type pistols. This buffer keeps the slide from hammering back against the guide and frame so hard.

The 10mm round appears to me to be similar in power to the S&W .41 Magnum, in other words, considerably more power than the old reliable .45 ACP, judging from the muzzle flash, recoil, and report.

I like it very much and would recommend it for a seasoned pistoleer, i.e., able to exploit the accuracy of the standard .45 Auto. Hope you enjoy shooting whichever one you choose.

------------------
Yankee Doodle

OJ
July 7, 1999, 04:24 PM
I have a Glock 20 and a Glock 29 (compact) both in 10 mm and they are among my most favorite guns. I think the 10 mm round may be the most versatile round now produced in that it is loaded to so many levels of power and the Glocks handle it well. YMMV

------------------

B Shipley
July 7, 1999, 04:51 PM
Glock, all the way. Colt has too many quality problems with even their top of the line guns, like the Gold Cup and Python, which I have personal experience with, to allow me to recommend them. If you do choose to buy one, buy a used gun and ask to fire it before buying. This will most certainly be your only option with the Colt, since it is no longer made in 10mm. I own a glock 20 and think it will outshoot the Gold Cup .45 I own every time. No jams since I've broken it in and used quality ammo. The machining is excellent, unlike the Colt, showing why CNC is a must for firearms manufacture.

Rob Pincus
July 7, 1999, 05:01 PM
This is a curious question. It appears in various forms with various "non-standard" calibres every once in a while.

The assumption is that the 10mm is so different from other calibres that the question "who makes the best gun?" is not enough.

I would have to advocate Glock pistols for any calibre that Glocks are made in, becuase I think they are superior in design, capacity reliability and ease of use to any and all other modern handguns. I have owned 4 different Glock 20 10mms, and currently have 2 of the latest generation models, one of which is a factory ported one.

That said, I have enjoyed shooting the new EAA 10mm Witness pistol and find it extremely comfortable, and acceptably reliable and accurate.

I also have a 10mm on the Colt 1911 pattern, which is extemely accurate, but falls a little short in the reliability department.

From all reports, the S&W 10mm autos are very reliable and their extra wieght makes fast shooting particularly comfortable.

------------------
-Essayons

Sid Post
July 7, 1999, 09:40 PM
I carry a Glock model 20 in a Bianchi PDQ holster for my concealed carry piece. What more can I say. Excellant package overall.

Sid
---
Tx FFL

Ankeny
July 8, 1999, 10:20 PM
I had a Delta Elite with a Wilson Group Gripper and a match trigger. Kicked like a mule. The Glock is a whole lot more tame.

I like the Smith and Wesson revolver. Quick to reload with full moon clips and incredibly accurate.

Jonnie Goodboy Tyler
July 9, 1999, 12:26 AM
Check out this website: http://www.wizkidscomp.com/10mm/

It's the best 10mm website I've found so far. The website has a review of every factory made 10mm gun.

I think the Colt Delta Elite is the best handgun in 10mm. In my Delta Elite, I replaced the stock plastic recoil spring guide with a Wilson full-length guide rod and vary the spring depending on the round I'm shooting. I found that with a 24lb recoil spring, full power loads are quite manageable (the stock recoil spring is 23 lb). I use an 18.5 lb recoil spring for lighter loads.

The 1911 is my favorite style handgun. My Delta Elite is more reliable than the Glock 22 I use to own. Too bad Colt stopped making 10mm guns.

If Para or STI started making high capacity 10mm's, I think the 10mm would dominate IPSC Limited Class. The top IPSC shooters in Limited Class load .40 S&W rounds out to 10mm length. They do that to increase reliability and accuracy. The only reason .40 S&W ammo is used in a 1911 for IPSC is because no one makes a "factory" high cap 1911 in 10mm.

Jonnie

Futo Inu
July 9, 1999, 04:55 PM
My Glock 29 is my favit gun. It's extremely versatile as mentioned. Although I'm thinking more and more that .400CB would be better for defense (same ballistics as 10mm), because (1) lower pressures mean longer gun life and may lead to more practice, and (2) necked cartridge theoretically will feed more reliably. But then again, my 29 has never failed to feed (less than 1000 rounds thru it, though).

HS
July 9, 1999, 10:48 PM
We discussed this a while back on my board & for a good idea, get a slide/barrel/mag assembly for the Para P-16.
With a few $$ you get to shoot on the same frame & know that you're at one with the gun. :D
So check out the conversion prices vs the cost of a new (unfamilar) gun.

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/

OJ
July 10, 1999, 04:44 PM
My Glock 29 has over 3000 rounds through it and my Glock 20 has nearly 5000 rounds through it and they just do not malfunction. I had two malfunctions in the G29 and three in the G20; all in the first 100 rounds - and none since. They were strange - always the last round in the mag and the slide locked back but the empty case was not ejected. It is my impression that a different ejector is now installed but since I haven't had any more malfs, I haven't felt motivated to change anything. I shoot Winchester Silvertips - 175 gr - and CCI Blazers - 200 gr for practice.

------------------
OJ KING, MD

[This message has been edited by OJ (edited July 10, 1999).]

Anthony
July 12, 1999, 11:23 AM
My personal 10mm battery consists of a Glock Model 20, Smith & Wesson Model 1006, and the rare Smith & Wesson 1086 (4 1/4 inch barrel and DAO).

All are excellent weapons, but the Glock is the best. It's much more controlable than the S&Ws in rapid fire and can take high capacity magazines. Spare 10-shot mags are cheap and (to me) the big Glock isn't a bad 11-shot gun.

The Glock 29 will be joining my battery soon and from what I hear it's just as good as the bigger 20. One point in the Glock's favor is that spare factory magazines are not as expensive as other companies. Glock 20 and 29 10-shot mags can be had from several sources for about $18 while the S&W mags run almost $30. That can add up if you plan on having a lot of spare magazines.

For the hottest loads in the caliber, try:

Winchester 175-grain Silvertip (1290 fps)
Federal 155-grain Hi-Shok (1330 fps)
Georgia Arms Shear Power 155-grain (1375 fps)
Remington 180-grain JHP-green box (1200 fps)

The Georgia Arms load uses a Speer Gold Dot hollowpoint...if that makes a difference to you. All four loads have proven to be exceptionally accurate in my guns.

For cheap practice or competition ammo, if you don't reload, check out Georgia Arms 180-grain FMJ at about 1150 fps. They're loaded in beautifully polished brass and the most economical I've found. Very nice. Very reliable.

- Anthony

BrokenArrow
July 16, 1999, 08:59 PM
If ya gotta have a 10mm, I would prefer the 1911/CZ pattern for fun, the Glock as a tool.

Considering the performance you can get from 45 +P, 45 Super, and now the 40 Super, who needs the 10mm? Stick w the 45 USP. :)

------------------
>>>>---->

Art Eatman
July 16, 1999, 11:13 PM
I bought a Delta Elite when they first came out. Have loaded both plinkers and hot stuff. Luvvit!

Did the usual trigger job, throated/polished, put the Colt extended grip safety on it, since all 1911s pinch me a bit...

I don't know what to say about comparative reliability, since I've never had a problem with anything. All else being equal, I'll take good looks over ugly. I don't care for Glocks' appearance, and I don't date ugly women...

B Shipley
July 17, 1999, 08:49 PM
Yeah, but the Glock is the woman who can sew, cook, clean, do the taxes, and knock your socks off in the horizontal. The 1911 is like Carmen Electra, Pamela, or Melanie Griffith, a bimbo that looks good, but can't do much else.

And, yes, I own a 1911, but in proper .45 configuration. I view the 10mm 1911s as something like a T-bucket hot rod, the performance is hot in a straight line, but don't expect to corner or stop, and the thing is kinda ricketty for all that power.

Art Eatman
July 18, 1999, 08:53 PM
Gosh, Shipley! Ol' John Browning's laughing in his grave, from the 88-year giant shuck he's perpetrated on us!

I guess 50 years of enjoying "Old Slabsides" means I'm a slow learner, but how do you top happiness? :) (Yeah, well, there was my ex-wife, "Ol' Happiness"... :o)

On a more serious note, I've not figured out how to improve on surviving an ultimate stress test--courtesy Old Slabsides... :D

B Shipley
July 18, 1999, 09:16 PM
He didn't perpetrate it in 10mm! ;) Wonder why?

rmgunsmith
March 25, 2008, 03:28 PM
My Colt Delta Elite with Cylinder & Slide SFS, Ed Brown ss match grade barrel, Ed Brown 2 piece guide rod, and beavertail grip safety along with many other custom features makes it very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

My Smith & Wesson 610 Revolver with 3 7/8 " barrel is a great hunting gun. I carry it in the woods when hunting or hiking.

My Glock 20 is tough, weather resistant and high capacity. I carry it as my truck gun. It would be a good self defense gun on the road.

I recently acquired a Para PX745SD with nice custom features. It is very accurate in the 45 ACP caliber and is rated for +P loads.

I favor the 10MM based on it's history, and the excellent ballistics. It is a reloaders dream cartridge. It is more powerful than a 357 magnum.

RickB
March 25, 2008, 03:35 PM
I've shot a couple of Glock 20s, but own a Delta Elite. Mine is ten years old, and a good gun, but Colt announced the reintroduction of the Delta at the SHOT Show in February, so there will be new-production Deltas out, this Summer. The new gun has been redesigned a bit, to address some shortcomings in the now-20 year old original design. I can just about guarantee that the Delta will fit any human hand better than the Glock 20.

Tamara
March 25, 2008, 03:43 PM
This may be a record for thread necromancy.

SGHOTH
March 25, 2008, 03:46 PM
The thread is from July of 1999. A lot has changed in the 10mm world since then.

Dr_2_B
March 25, 2008, 09:07 PM
Pronunciation:
\ˈne-krə-ˌman(t)-sē\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
alteration of Middle English nigromancie, from Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin nigromantia, by folk etymology from Late Latin necromantia, from Late Greek nekromanteia, from Greek nekr- + -manteia -mancy
Date:

1 : conjuration of the spirits of the dead for purposes of magically revealing the future or influencing the course of events

NWdude83
March 26, 2008, 12:01 AM
NEW:

Polymer = Glock 20

1911 = Dan Wesson

Other = EAA

NWdude83
March 26, 2008, 12:08 AM
Too bad Colt stopped making 10mm guns.

You do know that Colt is coming out with a new Delta Elite right? And Vltor is coming out with the new "Bren Ten" aka Fortis.

freakshow10mm
March 26, 2008, 12:11 AM
I had a Para Ordnance P16 that I had reamed out to 10mm. Stock Para mags work fine as both the gun and mags were designed for 10mm. They didn't sell well, the 40 came along, and rather than retool, Para just kept making the original mags. 40 or 10mm work in them no problem. Sold it.

Currently have a Kimber Pro Carry that I had reamed to 10mm. Seen over 10K rounds now. Aluminum frame, 4 inch 1911 running a 22# recoil spring shooting ammo at least 200PF for all 10k+ rounds completely dry. I've never lubed my pistol. Never a hiccup (outside of experimental handloads that pushed the OAL envelope). My every day carry.

NWdude83
March 26, 2008, 12:13 AM
Currently have a Kimber Pro Carry that I had reamed to 10mm.
Pics?

WESHOOT2
March 26, 2008, 06:35 AM
If shooting 'factory' ammo all are good; the one one likes best is best.

If fooling around with more serious handloads recommend modified autos, or S&W 610, made with 3", 4", 5", 6", and 6.?"

They can take serious ammo.

And there is the 45 Super......

freakshow10mm
March 26, 2008, 07:37 AM
EB externals, C&S internals and solid long trigger. Trijicon tritium front sight, stock rear. All that's left is a bobtail and hard chrome. (those holes were for mounting my reloading press to my computer desk when I first got started loading)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Pro%20Carry%2010mm%20Project/DSC02372.jpg

Sevens
March 26, 2008, 10:26 AM
You do know that Colt is coming out with a new Delta Elite right? And Vltor is coming out with the new "Bren Ten" aka Fortis.

NWdude83-- the guy who said that may or may not know that Colt is re-introducing the Delta Elite... but he said that seven and a half years ago! :eek: :cool:

freakshow10mm
March 26, 2008, 10:36 AM
It was at the shot show this year. 5 inch bull barrel though.