PDA

View Full Version : Is .100" "short chambered"?


saands
February 17, 2002, 05:07 PM
Been a while since the last question on the .243 Turkish Mauser project :)

It looks like the chamber of the Remington 700 takeoff barrel will need to be about .100" deeper after we remove the excess threaded section. Or ... thinking out of the box here, do people ever add shoulder spacers?

I have looked around and see that there are 2 classes of of chamber reamers: Roughing and finishing.

And as if that weren't enough, there are fixed pilots and floating pilots. Floating being much more expensive.

OK ... I'm a little confused. Is a finishing reamer what we need for th 100 mils of removal? Keep in mind that there are two copies of this rifle ... so there are two of these chambers to cut ... if that matters.

Also, what is the scoop on the floating pilots? Kuhnausen doesn't really comment on this.

Thanks so much!
Saands

Status ... The BOSS clone and the bent bolt handle have both come out GREAT so far and the stock from Boyd's looks cherry!! I think that we're in the home stretch on this one!

George Stringer
February 18, 2002, 08:00 AM
Saands, deepen the chamber. I've never seen any kind of spacers used. I would just use a finish reamer. Floating pilots are better. If you're renting the reamer you can get floating or fixed.

Is there a thread I missed on the Boss clone? That sounds interesting. George

saands
February 18, 2002, 02:11 PM
George: Thanks for the advice ... it confirms my initial idea of how to proceed ... but its always nice to get some reaffirmation!

As for the BOSS clone ... I looked up Browning's patent to make sure that I understood the theory and then took some measurments off of their web site as well as off of an original and reverse engineered one. I'll attach a couple of pics. This first one is for a 243, so I didn't go for the brake (which makes it louder), although the 300WinMag project, also in the works, will have both the brake (for the range) and the non-brake (for the hunt) versions. I'll be making my first brake after I make the angled V-block tool to hold the brake body while I drill the 25 degree forward facing ports. The pic shows a 3-piece assembly with a simulated aluminum "barrel" (cut to have the basic profile of the threaded Rem700 takeoff) to hold the lock nut and the body together for storage. This was a VERY interesting project and gave me an introduction to the machining techniques I needed to learn for the rest of the project.

saands
February 18, 2002, 02:13 PM
Here's the view from the other side: