The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 29, 2001, 01:41 PM   #1
Hellequin

Polishing feed ramp (Sigma)

I would have to tell that now I´m into amateur gunsmithing. My knowledge in this matter is very poor, but I´m very skilled with tools and always manage to get the job done.

Now I will like to polish the feed ramp of my SW Sigma (9VE) but is my first time.

I will like to hear very good tips (tools, technique, etc) from you to get my job done onve again.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old December 29, 2001, 02:21 PM   #2
Inspector Callahan

Just take a Dremel tool and xxx xxxxxx xxxx xxxxx x xxxx xxx xxx xxxx xxxx xxx. You'll know if the grinding bit went too deep if the edge looks like xxxx xxx xx xxx xxxx xxx xxxx. If this happens, press harder with the RPMs way up. Like 20,000 or so. Xxxxxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xx. Sparks can fly up to 10 feet from the toolhead, so wear safety goggles. Xxxx xxx xxx the most coarse bit you can possibly find xxx x xxx xxx xxx.

(Edited by the local foreman of the Coalition for Responsible Use of Dremel Tools)

Old December 29, 2001, 03:17 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Actually that advice was provided by the New Barrel Sales Company, of Grindmore, Arkansaw.

First, why do you want to polish the ramp? Is there a feeding problem, or do you just think it would be nice to try?

You can polish a feed ramp by hand, using a section of round dowel rod and fine emery cloth or paper (400-600 grit). Don't use a motor tool unless you know more about what you are doing than you sound like. If using a motor tool, use the rubber polishing tip and polishing compound, not the abrasive drums.

Final advice - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or contact the New Barrel Sales Company for a couple of dozen replacements.

Jim
Old December 31, 2001, 04:59 PM   #4
Hellequin

Dear Jim:

I having Failures to feed on certains kind of ammo. Cor-bon for example. I know this is a low profile, aggresive desing with a short nose. Being so, it has the tendency to feed nose down on my gun, thus I get a FTF.

I think that it may help to polish the feed ramp. What are your thoughts??

Thanks.
Old December 31, 2001, 05:50 PM   #5
johnwill

Your problem is more likely a magazine problem, but polishing the feedramp really isn't that difficult. I've polished dozens of feedramps with my Dremel tool, and all the guns still shoot just fine.

The trick is to use the felt wheel and the fine polishing compound. First, youhave to repeat three times: "I can take material off, but I can't put it back on". After that incantation, you are ready to proceed. You just want to polish the ramp, not change it's shape. It should take only a couple of minutes to accomplish all that you should do with the polishing.
Old December 31, 2001, 08:35 PM   #6
Hellequin

johnwill;

You say maybe my problem is a magazine problem. How can I do to correct this problem??

The one thing that bugs me is Corbon Ammo beign the only one to FTF regulary. With other brands it is not common.

I will like to know how to improve reliability on my gun (which I may say It´s been very, very good) (5000 rounds with only 8-10 FTF with Corbon ammo)

THNX..

By the way: HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Old December 31, 2001, 09:22 PM   #7
Bompa

That is an easy fix..
Stop using Corbon ammo..
Really the thing to do is use a brand of ammo that there is no problems with..
I don't have any use for hollow points,not a defensive gun,so I use lead round nose..For range use they are great and inexpensive..

Happy New Year to all..
Old January 1, 2002, 12:14 PM   #8
johnwill

I have to agree about just not using Corbon. Many guns will have one or more specific brands or types of ammo they have difficulty with, the easiest way to fix the problem is to avoid it. If it's multiple magazines, changing the magazine probably won't fix it...
Old January 1, 2002, 06:21 PM   #9
slick slidestop

I agree with Johnwill,

Ditch the Cor-Bons. I have heard of many problems from people using them. There is better Ammo out there.
Old January 2, 2002, 08:21 AM   #10
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Changing the mags probably won't help. The fix if you wish to continue to use Corbon ammo is to move the release point back on the magazine feed lips. Shorter ammo has to have the release point farther back in order to pop up soon enough to feed correctly. George
Old January 2, 2002, 12:50 PM   #11
Hellequin

Thank you everyone for all the tips.

Happy new year.