The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 29, 2001, 10:19 AM   #1
Guyon

Trap Guns

I've read that shotguns set up for trap shoot higher than point of aim. Since trap clays are shot on the rise, this set-up allows the shooter to point to the clay and fire without having to cover the target with the muzzle.

My question is this: Does the overall set-up of the gun contribute to where it fires? Or is it simply the barrel? That is, could you put a trap barrel on a field gun and have a shotgun that is more specialized for trap shooting?
Old July 29, 2001, 12:27 PM   #2
MiniZ

I don't have enough knowledge to tell if changing the barrell alone will give the desired results. I will defer to the experts on that.

I can say though, the amount a trap gun shoots high will vary from model to model and make to make. For instance, my 1100 trap allows me to put the bead right on the bird. However, my buddy's Winchester 101 requires that you "float" the bird about 3" above the bead, it shoots that high in relation to mine.

Zane
Old July 29, 2001, 02:20 PM   #3
Gary H

The stock fit with relationship to your eye determines if the gun shoots high, low, right, or left. Think of gun fit as an adjustable rear sight.
Old July 29, 2001, 04:58 PM   #4
PJR

Gary H. has it right. Trap guns shoot high because the stock puts your head higher. This is also why many trap guns have specialized higher ribs. Putting a trap barrel on a field gun might make it shoot higher if the rib is higher and you have to hold your head up a bit more.

Although trap guns often shoot higher, mine is set up to shoot a 60/40 pattern, the same as my sporting guns. I don't find it a problem and I don't have to switch my sight picture if I'm shooting several games.

During the time I shot trap and nothing but trap I preferred a much higher pattern thereby allowing my to keep the bird in sight at all times.
Old July 29, 2001, 05:50 PM   #5
Guyon

Thanks fellas.

I've seen references to setting up guns 50/50, 60/40, etc. Could you explain these ratios a little more clearly?
Old July 29, 2001, 06:08 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guyon, a shotgun set 50-50 puts half of it'sd pattern above POA, half below. 60-40, 60% above POA,etc. A "Flat shooter" is about 50-50.

My 870 TB TRAP gun shoots flatter than Frankenstein, for some reason. That's probably why I got such a good deal on it. I had to have the bbl bent to get it to 50-50, it was shooting low and left. It's flat now, and it works for me for 16 yard singles.

Handicap shooters like a high shooting setup. The longer yardages mean some pellet drop at the impact point, so this gives a bit of Kentucky elevation.

Putting a trap bbl on a field grade gun in itself will not make it shoot higher.Putting on a trap stock, with it's high comb, may.

If shooting trap with a field gun is something you'd like to try, go right ahead. Various companies make addon cheek pieces that raise the eye, and thus the shot. You may wan tto try one of those...

A new experiment here may interest you. I've obtained a Monte Carlo trap style stock for Frankenstein. Will advise how it shoots shortly....