The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 12, 2001, 05:12 PM   #1
Jamie Young

Lyme Disease?

I have yet to hear of a story of a hunter coming down with Lyme disease here in PA. I have a neighbor who got it probable from just sitting in her backyards. Do you guys know any Hunters that have come down with it? I wonder if the fact we tend to be wearing more clothing like coveralls is the reason we don't get it?
Old June 13, 2001, 08:49 AM   #2
gfrey

Yes I know a hunter who got Lyme disease, several years ago in WI.

I got it last Saturday

I believe it is worse in the warm months, because of the Ticks lifecycle.

It doesn't seem to be a big deal, if correctly diagnosed early and treated. The big problems seem to come from no diagnosis/misdiagnosis which then allow the bacterial infection to cause damage.

(I did a search on LYME on the net and there are several websites with lots of info)

The worst things about LYME disease are:
Infected tick may not give you an infection. (SO tickbite does not necessarily mean LYME disease )
Infection may or MAY NOT have red bullseye rash.

The DR looked at the bite for .75 seconds and said here is a script for antibiotics. TAKE THEM ALL bye.

HTH
Gfrey
Old June 13, 2001, 10:43 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Given the amount of coverage in the huntin'/fishin' zines, I'd guess the average hunter knows more about it than the average outdoor sitter-downer. So, more likely to have sulfur in the socks or to keep an eye out for crawling ticks, before they become biting ticks...

Art
Old June 13, 2001, 07:06 PM   #4
solo

I read an article in my local paper about a new lyme disease cure. If a certain pill (antibiotic) is taken within two days after a deer tick bite you will prevent yourself from getting the disease.

As previously stated lyme disease can be cured if caught early.
Old June 13, 2001, 09:45 PM   #5
WiFAL

I'm in the north woods of Wisconsin off and on three seasons of the year so I'm always on the look out for ticks. Lymes disease happens often enough around here for most people to be aware of it. A coworker contracted it about a two years ago and did not have it diagnosed. Now he has a permanent limp. There is an inocculation out but my physican suggested waiting until more info is collected before getting the shot.