The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 3, 2001, 10:30 AM   #1
Poodleshooter

What size and type are your favorite and why?
I'm shooting cast 320gr Lee Maxiballs, but only because that's the only mould I have so far. They shoot ok, but I'd like to experiment with some other bullets. Anybody have recommendations for another good mould?
Old May 4, 2001, 02:37 PM   #2
jpm63

What kind of gun do you have? This has a major impact on what will work.

I have a Lyman GPR with a slow (1 in 60) twist and the Lee REAL bullets in 250 grain variety shoot very nicely, although I still use patched round ball almost exclusively as it does everything I need to do.

I know of others who have had success with the REAL bullets as well.

JPM
Old May 7, 2001, 10:01 AM   #3
Poodleshooter

I don't really need a new projectile, but I'm getting bored with the 320gr Lee. I quit using roundball, as I like to shoot 40 rounds at a time and ramming a roundball down a fouled bore is NOT entertaining. Also, with a 1-48 twist, roundball isn't all that great. Conicals are the way to go. I'm basically looking for some new ideas from fellow bullet casters.
Old May 7, 2001, 01:37 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

speaking of 50 cal fast twist rifles

I'm getting a Lyman Great Plains Hunter in 50 cal from D&N Sports http://www.dnrsports.com/ Has anybody tried the Lyman MaxiBall or Minie Ball from it and what do you prefer?
Old May 8, 2001, 10:40 AM   #5
Alex Johnson

I've won a lot of local matches with the Lyman, but I shot roundball in all of them. My pet load was a .495 roundball and 80 grains of 2fg, steel chickens are in very real danger at 100 yards with such a rifle. Don't know how it would be with conicals though.
Old May 18, 2001, 09:40 AM   #6
R&H

The Lyman Great plains hunter is a great rifle. I got one for Christmas and I love it. I have had really good luck with the Hornady 410 grain hollow base bullets and 90 grains of Pyrodex. It shot well with the 460 grain bullets as well.