The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 25, 2001, 09:45 PM   #1
Knox

I was told by a knowledgeable guy at a gun store today that it is no longer legal for me to put a folding stock on my shotgun as this is one of the BATF's evil features. True or false?
Old February 25, 2001, 10:02 PM   #2
cuerno de chivo

for SEMI-AUTOS, yes
Old February 25, 2001, 10:41 PM   #3
Knox

Actually, I was referring to a pump Mossberg and specifically asked him was he sure it applied to pumps as well as semi's. I think he's wrong but well intentioned. I appreciate any info you provide.
Old February 26, 2001, 06:38 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It may/may not be legal, but the question's moot for me. Unless you've SERIOUS space limitations, a standard stock works better. I suggest using the search feature and seeing how many folks regard folders as something they want the OTHER guy's shotgun to have....
Old February 26, 2001, 09:47 AM   #5
ajacobs

Yes it is legal for a pump, it is hard to prove a negative, I could reprint the crime bill section here in regard to semi's. But like mentioned earlier it does not pertain to pumps.
Old February 26, 2001, 12:23 PM   #6
Knox

It's not that I'm big on folding stocks for full time use but I'd like to consider one for carrying while backpacking, camping, etc. where full length even in a HD style is pretty cumbersome. I've inquired a little and got some good feedback from some people on some pretty pricey ones that positively lock up. If they are in fact able to be reliable as far as lock up, I could use the standard stock at home and use the folding stock in specific situations where space is critical. Any thoughts pro or con are welcome. They help me think it through.

Regarding proving the negative, I understand completely. But if you can paste or direct me to a link that discusses that it is in reference to semi auto's and not pumps I would be greatful. Thanks again.
Old February 26, 2001, 01:31 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're very welcome, Knox. Another option would be getting a single bbl shotgun just for camping and backpacking. One outstanding shotgun for this sort of thing would be the Savage Model 24 combo gun. In 22LR and 20 ga, it would handle most anything,and a box of 22LR and a handful of 20 ga shells would be easy to pack.

Or, maybe get a standard stock and skeletonize it. A friend had a H&R 20 ga with a shortened, skeletonized stock and it was a handy little tool with serious power. As I recall, it ran about 5 lbs and was rough with 3" mag loads, but life is a series of tradeoffs.

If you do go with the folder, do some practicing with the thing. POI oft changes with folders...