The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2001, 01:13 PM   #1
Karanas

I received an email from them this morning. They are going into production and should be available around October 2001.

http://users.iafrica.com/n/nj/njj741t/index.html

I'm not an expert on the intricacies of BATF rulings. Is this thing going to be legal for civilians to own?
Old January 25, 2001, 02:43 PM   #2
ajacobs

SHould be perfectly legal as long as it meets length requirements, I am sure it will. I have been waiting for these since I first saw a article on them 5 or 6 years ago.
Old January 25, 2001, 05:05 PM   #3
pawcatch

Will it have to hold 10 rounds instead of 12?
Old January 25, 2001, 05:30 PM   #4
Kharn

Karanas:

Probably not, since it is actually two magazines with 6 rounds in each.

Kharn
Old January 25, 2001, 06:04 PM   #5
Fatcat

Looks kind of fun, but I'd have to handle one myself to see. The reversed pump might take a little getting used to..
Old January 25, 2001, 11:38 PM   #6
Correia

Awesome! I've always thought that this looked like a neat weapon.

Karanas, did they give you an estimated state side retail price?

p.s. Did you get my e-mail about your TFL shirt?

Old January 26, 2001, 10:06 AM   #7
Coronach

*One eyebrow arches skyward in classic Mr Spock expression*

Fascinating.

Mike
Old January 26, 2001, 10:20 AM   #8
Jeff, CA

Cool...

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but it seems as though we will have to ask BATF's permission to have this gun. And if you have to ask...

Old January 26, 2001, 10:27 AM   #9
ModIMark0

That would be great if the Neostead is importable with a 12 round capacity. Perhaps it might be legal under the same reasoning that makes the Crossfire combo rifle/shotgun legal, though the Crossfire is feeding two separate clibers into two different chambers, as opposed to two magazine feeding one caliber into one chamber. But how about the 'sporting purposes' requirements? I hope that it is imported.
I would like to see a dual mag tube speed loader for the Neostead that holds 4-6 rounds in a box type assembly that can fit into rifle magazine pouches (it would have to hold 4 rounds to fit in M16 type 30 round pouches-a full 12 round reload could fit into a the old 3 mag LC-1 pouch) and have spring pressure to feed the rounds into the mag tubes. Thanks to the tip up design of the Neostead, it looks like it would be easy to speedload compared to standard pump shotguns. I was fiddling with this idea on paper last week, and liked the idea of a 6 round reload, but it would end up being about the size of a 40 round .223 magazine.
Old January 26, 2001, 03:39 PM   #10
ajacobs

my understanding that with current regulations there is nothing that restricts the capacity of tube fed magazines, many lever actions for example hold more than ten rounds with handgun calibers. IT is not a semiauto so should not be restricted.
Old January 26, 2001, 05:29 PM   #11
9mmepiphany

interesting site

if you look at the bottom of the "production" page on the site, you will see a line of 12ga shotgun shells. isn't it interesting that there are 10 shells there rather than 12. could this reflect the intented "pc" capacity, to avoid conflict with the BATF, of the production gun.

personally i think ajacobs is right about the issue of semi-auto vs. pump actions...also the individual feed tubes (magazines)

fatcat - we got a chance to handle one about 5 years ago when they demo'ed it at the range. the technique seems strange at first but is really quite natural due to its bullpup configuration. the slide goes forward as the gun recoils backward, pumping the slide back pulls the gun back into your shoulder. the stranges part is that you are pumping pass the muzzle.

i'm starting to put money away for mine today.
Old January 26, 2001, 09:31 PM   #12
curious

I would like to get a feel for it in person. Anybody have a guess at the price tag?

curious
Old February 5, 2001, 06:30 PM   #13
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I've been looking at this shotgun as of late...
It looks good. The backwards pump can be something you recondition for, just like using a SIG pistol.
The only problem I have with it is in reloading.
It Ejects downward, out of the bottom.
But where does it FEED? On the top between the mag tubes right? Okay - so how do you RELOAD? Opening a tube?
I dont like that.
I want my shotgun to be able to use standard shotgun tactics... Meaning the ability to feed a special round into the tube - stroke it - and now you have your special round chambered. Load what you shoot seems to be out.
These tactics are what gives a shotgun its flexability... these new fangled scatterguns have done away with it.

I'm thinking that unless you can do these with the Neostead - I'll stick with a Moss 590 Marine.

Last question - Can you get rid of that wacky handle thing on the Neo and add a raised freakin RAIL like a normal shotgun? Dont get me wrong - but that short little handle with retarded "Iron Sights" just doesnt work for me.