The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 25, 2013, 06:48 PM   #1
FrosSsT

Armslist transaction

I stumbled across a rifle on Armslist for a decent price. The problem is I'm from NJ and the seller is from AL. When I asked the seller how we would do the transaction they replied:

"I will be shipping out the rifle from my local FFL. you can ask your FFL to attach a copy of their license and email it to me. I will have it printed out and taken over to my FFL for the transfer. I will accept any payment method that suits you. But i prefare money order. As soon as payment is received, My FFL will have it shipped to your FFL and i will provide you with a shipment tracking number so you can monitor its movement. You sure will get what you paid for."

Has anyone done transactions on Armslist that involved shipping?
Old June 25, 2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Pahoo

What are your concerns ???

Quote:
Has anyone done transactions on Armslist that involved shipping?
Not Armslist but no matter as what you have described is typically how it goes. Some sellers provide for a 3-day inspection and return option but you will have to see if this is true about your seller. The seller may skip his FFL and mail direct to your FFL. Some sellers will only ship through and FFL, on their end. You will have to pay for your FFL transaction ....

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 25, 2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Garycw

Armslist transaction

You're very trusting. If he has a pay pal account it might give you some protection and can use credit card to fund pay pal. You might list the purchase as hunting tool , or something though instead of firearm.
Old June 25, 2013, 07:45 PM   #4
JT-AR-MG42

Have not done any transactions thru the mail on Armslist, but have bought many off of the other usual suspects - including from non-rated private individuals.

Had to actually explain to one new seller that they needed to send the firearm to the FFL's address, not mine. Gave me no worries at all. I go with my first instinct on how a sale feels. So far, so good.

There are no guarantees in mail order buying from an individual (or some dealers!), but the process your seller described is exactly how I sell one.
I turn the gun and FFL copy over to him for logging in and shipping AFTER the buyer fulfills his end, not before.

Reads like he probably wants to verify that you did send both the money and a good FFL copy before involving the FFL at his end.

My take, JT
Old June 26, 2013, 01:05 AM   #5
StukaJU87

Yeah, that sounds about right. My experience was a little different:
1. Found out where to send FFL paperwork
2. Called my FFL and had them send their copy to seller's FFL
3. Sent payment in the form of a money order
4. Seller verified payment
5. Seller took firearm to his FFL to be shipped
6. Waited for call from FFL to pick up firearm

My experience went very smoothly and I was in contact with seller every step of the way. Make sure if you decide to try it that the seller answers all your questions and answers your emails in a timely fashion. Also, get the name and number of the FFL holder. If it's a business, look up their webpage to see if they are legit. See if the phone number the seller gives you matches the business number. If the FFL holder isn't a brick and mortar location or the phone number doesn't match, I'd walk away. Better to be safe then sorry.
Old June 26, 2013, 02:01 AM   #6
JimmyR

I have done some shipping transactions on Armslist, and mine was very similar to yours, except I paid via Paypal and faxed his FFL a copy of my LGS's license. It largely depends on the dealer, but I had pretty smooth experiences.
Old June 26, 2013, 11:27 AM   #7
scottycoyote

yep sounds like the usual transaction, although my local ffl usually wants the other ffl info faxed direct into them rather than me bringing it in. Most people (me included) dont want money orders unless it is a post office money order.....you can get a fake money order the bank will deposit, but they cant confirm its legit after the usual 4 or 8 day holding period. Ive heard of bad money orders not being found out until a month later (which is ridiculous, a money order should be able to be verified as quick as a check).
Old June 26, 2013, 06:43 PM   #8
noelf2

I limit Armslist transactions to intrastate private face to face purchases and sales. If you get burnt on an Armslist transaction, you can only cry about it.
Old June 26, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
chiefr

noelf2 posted
I limit Armslist transactions to intrastate private face to face purchases and sales. If you get burnt on an Armslist transaction, you can only cry about it

==========================================================
+1
Old June 26, 2013, 06:53 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

If you pay by USPS money order and get stung, the postal inspectors will go after the seller for you. I would use postal money orders before I'd use PayPal any day.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:13 AM   #11
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
the postal inspectors will go after the seller for you
No, they won't. They will refuse to get involved unless it's an ongoing problem with somebody, or involves a substantial number of people.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Nathan

If you want to get serious, contact the FFL and send payment after the gun is in his hands. Then if things go bad, you can call and complain to the ATF, who will investigate. . .is my understanding.
Old June 27, 2013, 10:03 AM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If he has a pay pal account it might give you some protection and can use credit card to fund pay pal. You might list the purchase as hunting tool , or something though instead of firearm.
PayPal doesn't allow the use of their services for firearms. If something goes wrong, I wouldn't expect much help from them, especially if I was dishonest about the nature of the transaction to begin with.