The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 29, 2013, 11:26 PM   #76
Sevens

An acquaintance of mine bought a very expensive pistol from a local gun store -- the kind of pistol that has a price basically set by the manufacturer and you can only get them by contacting a place that has them. I knew exactly what he'd paid for it and it was jaw-dropping what he wanted me to give him for it. He'd never fired the pistol.

I bought it simply because I knew I could turn the profit I'd make on it's sale in to a handgun I really wanted. I did, and more. Just the profit, mind you, the principle went right back to where it came from.

The pistol had obviously been test fired at the manufacturer, as are all the guns they ship. It had that wear on the breech face -- as if someone took a new gun and fired half a box of ammo through it... and then they shipped it out for sale without cleaning it. If I had run even a dry patch through the bore, it would have come out with powder residue on it.

But it was sold to him "NEW", and that means (in my opinion anyway) that it was sold in what we refer to as "unfired."

My goal was to get good money for it, and I thought my best method was going to be to also offer it as "unfired." Would have been a slam-dunk to send a mag or 3 down range and nobody would have been any wiser, but I'm on a first name basis with gun karma so that was simply not going to happen.

I owned it for more than half a year, sold it, made a lot of money on it, and never shot it. In fact, I never even field stripped it.

I wish I had sold it to a friend...who would have THEN let me send a mag or 3 down range with it. But I didn't, so it's gone. Zero regrets.

I suppose the point of my story is that there is a whole world that exists outside of the energetic little proclamations that are simply varying degrees of "I won't OWN any gun that I don't shoot!" and variations on that theme.
Old June 29, 2013, 11:35 PM   #77
Sevens

And a different take on the same subject. I was fortunate enough to get a chance at a gun that was built to be a collectible, and I just mentioned it in another active topic in the revolver forum. It's a Smith & Wesson 19-3, Texas Rangers Commemorative, 4" .357 Magnum. Special features not typically available on model 19's of the day and with a classy wooden presentation box -and- an extremely heavy and gaudy hunting knife with the same serial number as the revolver.

The gun was either unfired -- or fired so very little that there was no evidence that it ever had been. However, the cylinder had a drag line so it had been "played with" a good bit. Worse, the left grip panel had some of the outermost lacquer coating dinged off by cases having had been ejected from the cylinder.

Point is, this "collectible" revolver was no longer dead-mint. So in my opinion, it could never possibly carry whatever "value" it might have had as a "collectible."

I got a decent price on it that seems like a STEAL now, but it was 3 years ago that I got it. And man, I -shoot- it and plan to shoot it more and MORE and it may be my favorite Smith & Wesson revolver. I can't see how I'd ever be talked out of this one.

For the right money, I'd be thrilled to sell the box and the gaudy knife, even though I'd be "splitting it up." Again, nothing anywhere close to any regrets.
Old June 30, 2013, 11:47 AM   #78
WIL TERRY

NOT FREAKING HARDLY !!! I shoot what is the second rarest COLT extant and will continue to do so until they plant me. It was a present to me two years ago and was unfired. It remained unfired for the first ten minutes it was mine.
And so it goes....
Old June 30, 2013, 12:27 PM   #79
ricko

There's no reason for guilt in any case ... if you buy it, the gun is yours. Firing an unfired collector's gun doesn't damage it, it only reduces its monetary value. If that doesn't bother you, it's certainly nothing to feel guilty about. If somebody else wanted to keep it unfired forever, then they should have bought it.
Old June 30, 2013, 12:28 PM   #80
Webleymkv

There are certain guns that I would not fire, but I probably wouldn't own such guns for very long. I buy guns for the enjoyment of shooting so if I can't shoot one, I'll sell it to someone who appreciates that sort of thing more than I do and get one that I can shoot.
Old June 30, 2013, 01:51 PM   #81
pete2

I bought a new SAA in about 1979, put it on a closet shelf, not gonna shoot it. within a month it was at the range, shot it 30 times, very accurate, trigger sucks. Put it up, plan to do an action job and shoot it. It's still in the planning stage. May sell it and buy the STI that I want. If I own it I've shot it. Bought a new Ruger 1911 yesterday. Took me an hour and a half to get to the range with it. It's a Ruger, Rugers are really great guns but I don't think I'll ever consider one a collector's item. It's gotta be at least a Colt or S&W.
Old June 30, 2013, 03:07 PM   #82
bob.a

I have nearly enough guns, although there's no such number, really.

I have a couple that would depreciate in value if shot; I'd prefer not to shoot them for that reason. I have a few that are so old I'd never be able to find parts to repair them if something snapped; they're attractive specimens, so I'd rather pass them forward in functional condition, given the choice.

The others, I have no problem shooting.

Everyone faces choices; do what you think is proper, and don't criticise someone because their choices are not yours. Circumstances, and people, vary.
Old June 30, 2013, 03:12 PM   #83
RedBowTies88

There's not a gun in the world I wouldn't shoot IF it was in a safely operable condition AND ammo was available.
Old June 30, 2013, 05:05 PM   #84
Horseless Trooper

If I had the rarest, most valuable handgun in the world in mint unfired condition with box and papers I would , judging from past experience, drop it on concrete, breaking the grips and scarring the finish, bugger a couple of screw heads taking it apart and then stow the box somewhere damp and discover the mold and mildew sometime after the point of no return. Then I would show it to one of those people with the caustic to everything sweat and not notice until their prints were permanently etched into the finish. I can turn collectable into shooter grade in a heartbeat. That's why I buy pre abused guns, it saves me time, money and effort.