The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 22, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Mike19

Questions on EAA Windicator

During my weekly visit to a local pawn shop this morning, I saw a pawned EAA Windicator, 4", .38 Spl selling for $225. I am looking to add a revolver to my small collection of semi-autos. But, I have like no experience with revolvers. I would like to buy a new .38 Ruger or S&W with a 3" or 4" barrel, but I may never be able to save enough money to make that happen.

Considering that I have read some good things and some bad things about the W[V]indicator; I would appreciate any advice on whether you think this is a good deal ?
Old June 22, 2013, 04:25 PM   #2
g.willikers

Here's an older review of them:
http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=22
Old June 22, 2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Sevens

I've got an opinion, I hope it helps.

I'm a hardcore revolver lover and I have many, but I don't think I'll ever have enough of them. They are pure handgunning and they may not be for everyone, but it's my belief that if you don't own one and you've never spent any quality time with a decent one, you will never understand what you are missing. That's fine... leaves more for me and all that.

My brother in law and frequent shooting buddy bought a snubby EAA Windicator, and it's his first center fire revolver. He's got horribly low money in to it and even did a partial trade for a gun that he wanted to be rid of. For sure, it was the low price that drew him in. He's probably got nearly a thousand rounds through it (all .38 Special) and he's enjoyed every bit of it. He does most all of his shooting at 7 yards and accuracy and tiny group shooting isn't at the top of his list -- having fun in short sessions with his busy schedule and staying familiar with his guns and his carry guns are his goals. He shoots it single action, cocking before every shot.

For him, the Windicator has been a whole lot of fun. I've shot the gun on three different occasions and at it's incredibly low price point, it seems to be somewhat of a bargain in my eyes. It seems like a decent quality revolver for a price far below most revolvers. In the price range (or less) of a Taurus or Rossi or Charter, and with this -ONE- example, it seems to be every bit as good as one of those. If someone NEEDED a small revolver to put in a defensive role and they had only a shoestring budget, I would look at one closely while shopping and if the ones I saw were like the one my bro-in-law bought, I'd probably choose it over the Taurus/Rossi/Charter.

With that said... I'm a -huge- revolver guy and have many, and have zero desire to own one of these at any price point. For me, it doesn't offer what I want from a revolver. For others, it certainly does. I want accuracy, I want a legendary design that has been refined over time because it works and I want, probably more than ANYTHING, to shoot it double-action all the time. That's what I enjoy.

If you want a revolver for recreational shooting, to see if you love revolvers and to see if you'll get drawn in by all that is grand about them, I think it's a poor choice for that particular goal.

My suggestion would be to literally take that cash you'd spend on one, lock it in a piggy bank or cookie jar on your dresser, and throw $10 or $20 a week at that jar until you can go to a gun show or your favorite shop and pick out a great used Smith & Wesson revolver, 4 inch or 6 inch, a K-frame or an L-frame if you find a good deal on one.

If you are lucky to be near a place that contracts with LE trade-ins, go find yourself a beat-up looking former duty Smith & Wesson Model 10 (.38 Special) and you'll spend no more than three hundred on it and it will give you a terrific introduction to the pure joys of the revolver platform.

It'll be more enjoyable to shoot, higher in quality, and give a lifetime of service, none of which I would feel comfortable saying about the Windicator.

Doesn't mean the Windicator is a bad gun. Definitely doesn't mean the Windicator isn't worth $225. What I am saying is that if you don't own ANY revolvers and you want to know why the folks who spend most of their time here in the revolver forum love revolvers so much -- don't buy a Windicator to find out. Go buy a Smith & Wesson or a Ruger GP-100.
Old June 22, 2013, 06:14 PM   #4
hAkron

I've been curious about these guns too, but if your concern is purely about price, S&W revolvers can still be found very reasonably if you are willing to do some looking around. $300 cash bought me this sweet model 60

Old June 23, 2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Osuvet85

I like mine. I have the 4" barrel and have run around 300 rounds through it. The grip is a little small for my size 8 hand. It is more accurate than I am, i'm learning how to shoot DA well. I like the trigger pull, mine is smooth with a break you can feel right before release. I've been shooting .38 almost exclusively and has taken everything well. I've run a few 125 gr. .357 and I don't like them in this gun. After three rounds my palm stung and after six I was done. Larger grip would probably help. I don't shoot .357 well anyway.