The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 9, 2013, 07:02 AM   #1
marano

Why I like my Glocks.

I own quite a few handguns, a lot of them are revolvers but I have four Glocks, three Makarov's, two Tokarev's, a Beretta 92, a Smith 5906, a Norinco 1911, a cz 83 in 9x18. I have seen a lot of people on here bash Glocks and a lot like me that like them. I can understand that not everyone likes them. There are guns I don't care for. I was forced to carry a Sig 228 for several years and just did not like it. It shot ok, I just did not like it. So I get that there are people who like other guns, none louder and prouder than the 1911 people. I got a 1911 and have shot many and I like them as well. But for someone to bash a Glock and say their is something inherently wrong with them is just not based in reality. Like I said I own four and have for years. I have toted a Glock 27 over hells half acre in the rain,sleet and even snow. I have never had a problem with any I have owned or shot and if I could only have one handgun it would definately be a Glock. If I had to survive for any length of time in hostile territory that is what I would want with me. So if you don't like em, that is fine but do not down them just cause you don't care for them. I know a lot of guys that carry them everyday on and off duty and would have nothing else.
Old June 9, 2013, 07:20 AM   #2
kahrguy

Do you feel better now??

Beyond have'n a back strap that can be changed I am still wondering why glock changed anything after the gen 2 or maybe the gen 2.5. Not sure a gen 4 is a upgrade or more of a back step . Oh they could design a skinny sub compact after all these years.

Lots of pistol brands out there have been to hell and back.
Old June 9, 2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Ozzieman

Along with the second amendment there is also the first.
Glocks are not for everyone, they have their advantage and disadvantages. But for you to say that “that is fine but do not down them just cause you don't care for them.” Is wrong.
No manual safety. For some people that is a bad design feature.
Poor trigger. For some people that are used to 1911’s and the like the Glock has a very poor trigger.
With that said I like Glocks for what they are intended for. It’s a tool nothing more and like all tools it dose something’s very well and some that are less than stellar.
I own a 26 and a 34 and I could list the things I don’t like about both but you don’t want to hear that. What you want to hear and only hear is that both guns are very reliable and for the quality is a good value for the dollar. You could say the same thing about a Hi point.
My suggestion to you sir is if you don’t want to hear opposing attitudes you’re going to have a very disappointing time here.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old June 9, 2013, 08:12 AM   #4
whip1

I've never understood why gun owners get so emotional over Glocks. Glocks are tools. Yet somehow they trigger this widely ranging response from out right hatred to dreamy eyed love. I don't get it. Even their marketing campaign gets people wound up.
Old June 9, 2013, 08:15 AM   #5
donato

My best advice to you (the OP) is: If you like'em (Glocks), buy'em. Who cares what others think.

BTW (to all who think such) I don't consider guns "tools" either. They're firearms and should be treated as such.
Old June 9, 2013, 08:21 AM   #6
JWT

I owned one (G22) for about a year. It didn't fit my hand well and as a result the perceived recoil was unpleasant. I was not enamored with the trigger or the trigger safety. I traded it in. Great guns for some, but not for me.
Old June 9, 2013, 08:40 AM   #7
geetarman

My Glocks are probably the ugliest guns I own. They run and that is what really counts. I like them a lot.

Carpe Cerveza
Old June 9, 2013, 08:42 AM   #8
kcub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGkTXNAJqWY

Glock hunting infomercial. Makes me want one.
Old June 9, 2013, 09:02 AM   #9
wpsdlrg

"I have seen a lot of people on here bash Glocks and a lot like me that like them."

I MUST take issue with the second part of that statement. Lots of "Glock bashing", if you want to call it that, sure.....but I have not seen one post in which someone has "bashed" an individual or group....for liking Glocks. I have NEVER said anything of that sort, to anyone, for example (and I am probably one of the arch "Glock bashers" here) - and I never will. On the contrary.

This strikes me as one of the components of the "attitude" displayed by many Glock enthusiasts....that puts me off. Somehow, it seems, stating that one doesn't like Glocks and why, is taken as some sort of personal insult by many in the "Glock community". It is NOTHING of the sort.

Certainly, this reaction is NOT confined ONLY to Glock enthusiasts - not at all. A great many people are thin skinned about their favorite brand/ model, etc. - whatever it is. That reaction, however, is fundamentally irrational. Just because one doesn't like "Brand X" and says so, does NOT mean that the devotees to "Brand X" have a reason to feel insulted. That is nonsense.

A common human reaction, I guess. "If you don't feel exactly as I do about this or that....then you are insulting me by that action". Insane. But, that very concept is used, as an excuse, for all sorts of hatred in this world. Wars have been fought over nothing more. Religious intolerance is BASED on such a concept.

Everyone is perfectly entitled to like or dislike anything he/ she wishes - and to state why. That, in no way, rises to the level of a personal insult toward anyone. Neither of us has any right to expect the other to censor our thoughts on the subject, though.

So, by all means, like your Glocks as much as you want. I'll like my S&Ws as much as I want. I don't feel insulted, in any way, by your preferences....and you have no reason to feel insulted by mine.

Last edited by wpsdlrg; June 9, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old June 9, 2013, 10:23 AM   #10
arch308

wpsdlrg, I think you took his statement wrong. I think he means he sees alot of posts from people that like Glocks, not the bashing of people who like Glocks. But then I could be wrong also.
Anyway, to the original OP, I love my Glocks also. Being firmly entrenched in the KISS rule (keep it simple stupid) I find everything I need from a gun in Glocks with no whistles and bells. I can understand that alot of people don't like them for various reasons and have no problem with that. Heck, if we all liked and thought the same it would be really monotonous. Variety IS the spice of life.
What I don't understand is the extreme hatred of Glocks by some and their need to "bash" them. It is almost irrational in some cases the amount of hatred spewed at them. I try not to take it personally but sometimes it is hard. It's like when somebody badmouths your favorite football team. We do have an emotional investment in the things we like and react negatively when those things are denegrated. I think it probably best to just let it slide.
Old June 9, 2013, 10:50 AM   #11
Bluestarlizzard

There are certain topic on the internet that attract a particular element.
Glock is one of those topics that obsesses both the "haters" and the "indignent".
The most important rule is, do not get outraged because someone is WRONG on the internet.

Glocks are extreamly commen. If you've been involved with firearms for any length of time you've encountered the Glock lovers and the Glock haters and everyone inbetween. You've seen them in the stores, on the range and in the news (in many cases even if it wasn't a Glock )

Everyone has something they can say about Glock, and some people like to have something to say, even when the world would be better off if they keep there mouths shut.

The Glocks are just another pistol. They have their pro's and con's, just like any other pistol. One con is that people seem determined to defend and hate the Glock ad nauseum. There's been how many general Glock related threads in the past week? On this board alone?

Good god, people! Expand your horizens! :P
Old June 9, 2013, 11:05 AM   #12
SoilworK777

Reliable or not, Glocks are over-priced, over-hyped pistols.

I don't deny wanting one.
Old June 9, 2013, 11:42 AM   #13
pelo801

I like my glock because I wanted a 10mm that wasn't going to cost me +$1000. I have given some thought to buying a g36, but he g20 will most likely be the only glock I ever own.
Old June 9, 2013, 11:48 AM   #14
n5lyc

?????

I must be strange, guns are like golf clubs (I don't play golf)..

Each serves a particular purpose, and RARELY do you find one that fills every need.

All gunmakers make pretty good guns, or they would not be in business for very long..
Each may make a lemon, or a poor design every now and then, but they either make changes, or discontinue that model and move on.

I think gun makers are like car makers, some people like Fords, some Chevy, some Chrysler, Honda, and no other brand will do for them.
But each one fills a particular niche.

I buy a gun that fills a specific need, that FEELS good to me, regardless of who makes it.

My target .22 pistol is a S&W auto, my target .22 rifle is a military issue Mossberg M44US made in 1943, my target center fire pistol, a 1911 I built my self a long time ago on an Essex frame, my daily carry, self defense pistol, a glock .40, my small "pocket gun" is a Kahr pm9 with night sights, my target center fire rile, is a Ar-15 I built myself in 300 blackout, using a upper and lower from Essential Arms in krotz springs, la. (great people to deal with)

Bottom line?

I choose what I want, and like.
Not what my friends like, or tell me what they think I should buy..

Ian
Old June 9, 2013, 12:00 PM   #15
Water-Man

Hard to believe. Another Glock fan-boy thread.
Old June 9, 2013, 12:10 PM   #16
BigJimP

I'm glad you like your Glocks....

Maybe that's why there are so many gun mfg's - with so many different models....so we have a lot of choices...??

I've fired a number of Glock models...and I just don't like anything about them, except that they're cheap --- so no, I'll never own one.

I'm going to the range today with a pair of 1911's and a DA and a SA revolver...and I'll have a great time / I hope you do the same with your Glocks.
Old June 9, 2013, 12:35 PM   #17
Nakanokalronin

I owned a G19, 2 G26s and a G30SF. The G30SF was a brick that locked the slide forward with a fully loaded mag. The 26s where nice, but the hump on the back strap was more exaggerated than the other models. The G19 was probably the best all around performer, but it still left something to be desired and sliced the top of my hand with a a proper high thumbs forward grip like I do every other semi-auto without getting bit.

I sold them all and went with the just as reliable, yet superior ergos of the M&P line. My EDC is a nice single stack XDS 45acp that Glock can't make in any caliber. At least there are enough poly guns out there too chose from.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; June 9, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old June 9, 2013, 04:22 PM   #18
whip1

Quote:
BTW (to all who think such) I don't consider guns "tools" either. They're firearms and should be treated as such.
I'm curious why you think guns gets special treatment. Guns need to be handled properly just like other "tools". Nail guns, power saws, weed whips, and other tools can kill and maim if mishandled.
Old June 9, 2013, 05:26 PM   #19
marano

uhhh

My entire point was that it is to each his own as to to what they like. I was just saying that the people who try to say there is something inherently wrong with a Glock are not living in the real world. I like and own a lot of guns and shoot a lot of guns, shot a G17, a Smith 649 and a Ruger lcr .22 this morning. I was just saying that there is just nothing wrong with a Glock just cause you don't like them. I personally would not own a Sig, not that there is anything inherently wrong with them, I just don"t like them, Walthers either. Your mileage may vary but there is nothing and I mean nothing wrong with a Glock for me and a WHOLE lot of other people.
Old June 9, 2013, 05:37 PM   #20
marano

Did you read my post????

"I have seen a lot of people on here bash Glocks and a lot like me that like them."

I MUST take issue with the second part of that statement. Lots of "Glock bashing", if you want to call it that, sure.....but I have not seen one post in which someone has "bashed" an individual or group....for liking Glocks. I have NEVER said anything of that sort, to anyone, for example (and I am probably one of the arch "Glock bashers" here) - and I never will. On the contrary.

This strikes me as one of the components of the "attitude" displayed by many Glock enthusiasts....that puts me off. Somehow, it seems, stating that one doesn't like Glocks and why, is taken as some sort of personal insult by many in the "Glock community". It is NOTHING of the sort.

Certainly, this reaction is NOT confined ONLY to Glock enthusiasts - not at all. A great many people are thin skinned about their favorite brand/ model, etc. - whatever it is. That reaction, however, is fundamentally irrational. Just because one doesn't like "Brand X" and says so, does NOT mean that the devotees to "Brand X" have a reason to feel insulted. That is nonsense.

A common human reaction, I guess. "If you don't feel exactly as I do about this or that....then you are insulting me by that action". Insane. But, that very concept is used, as an excuse, for all sorts of hatred in this world. Wars have been fought over nothing more. Religious intolerance is BASED on such a concept.

Everyone is perfectly entitled to like or dislike anything he/ she wishes - and to state why. That, in no way, rises to the level of a personal insult toward anyone. Neither of us has any right to expect the other to censor our thoughts on the subject, though.

So, by all means, like your Glocks as much as you want. I'll like my S&Ws as much as I want. I don't feel insulted, in any way, by your preferences....and you have no reason to feel insulted by mine.
Last edited by wpsdlrg; Today at 09:20 AM.
Your reiterating what I said.
Old June 9, 2013, 06:06 PM   #21
TailGator

Quote:
The Glocks are just another pistol. They have their pro's and con's, just like any other pistol. One con is that people seem determined to defend and hate the Glock ad nauseum.
This pretty much sums it up, except that the last sentence isn't the pistol's fault.

I don't have as extensive a collection as some, but I have firearms from five manufacturers right now, and three or four others have come and gone. Revolvers and semis; DA, SA, DA/SA; thumb safeties on the frame and on the slide and none at all.

One pistol has been a Glock. I still have it, and carry it every day. That means it does its job reliably, and that it has the features that I wanted for the desired task. It doesn't mean that it is the perfect gun, or the one that someone else should buy. It just means that I am satisfied with it for my uses.

The people who blow wind about Glock making the perfect gun are mostly inexperienced and so don't know how many good pistols are out there. The people who stink up the place with their hatred of Glocks seem to be either intolerant of other people's opinions or enjoy stirring things up. Neither one needs to be taken too seriously.

The real truth about Glock is that it is one of many reliable, well-made pistols on the market these days, and that its features are desirable to some people and undesirable to others. Viva la difference.
Old June 9, 2013, 07:05 PM   #22
tristar viper

I think all these Glock threads have been done to death, almost to a level of absurdity.
Count me out, thank you.
Old June 9, 2013, 07:44 PM   #23
10mm4ever

Just seems to me that it's a not so well disguised plea for approval and validation.