The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 2, 2013, 07:08 PM   #1
jedi391

Impact of vertical play in 1911 slide to frame fit

I'm about 300 rounds into my latest Springfield Loaded. It was very tight at the beginning but had a somewhat rough slide/frame interface. At 300 rounds it has smoothed out but I have noticed it now has vertical slide to frame play. There is no lateral movement but the vertical movement is enough to push excess lubricant out when I push down on the slide. I should also note this movement is only evident at the rear of the slide. It's not noticeable at the front or middle of the slide when you push down on the slide. I have experienced varying degrees of lateral movement in 1911's but never vertical.

I know slide to frame fit isn't the boogie man of 1911 accuracy but it seems like most of the time people are talking lateral and rarely vertical movement. With the barrel lockup being impacted by the barrel link does vertical play preset more of a problem?
Old June 3, 2013, 09:36 AM   #2
g.willikers

It kind of sounds like the original tight fitting slide to frame was being provided, at least in part, by some rough edges, somewhere.
Now that they have been smoothed down by use, there's more clearances.
How important that really is, is best determined by your satisfaction with the results.
Does it perform to your expectations?
Or do your needs require maybe a custom made, high dollar version.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:18 AM   #3
TacticalDefense1911

You'll have that with production grade 1911's. These things don't need to be frogs butt tight on the rails. Barrel lockup and bushing fit are far more important to accuracy then slide to frame fit. Keep shooting the gun. If there is an increased degradation in accuracy or there continues to be excessive wear with increasing clearances then Springfield will get you squared away. At this point I would imagine that it is a non-issue and that the frame and slide rails were not perfect from the factory and the gun is just wearing in. If the clearances continue to increase rapidly from this point on then you may have a larger issue.
Old June 3, 2013, 01:19 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

The factors that determine the accuracy of an auto pistol, beyond the quality of the ammo, (and those shooter influenced features like being able to use the sights and trigger consistantly,) are the alignment of the barre with sights.

It has to be consistant. The 1911 barrel bears on other parts of the gun at several specific places. The slide fit on the back of the frame isn't one of them.

Remember that the 1911A1 is originally intended for military use, and while many tolerances of fit between parts have been "improved" by commercial makers, tight guns jam easily.

If you are getting acceptable accuracy and reliability from your gun, then its fine. If the situation visibly changes (gaps getting bigger) or your gun's accuracy and/or reliability goes in the crapper, then contact the maker for service reccomendations.
Old June 3, 2013, 04:05 PM   #5
polyphemus

..something wrong with your pistol?
Old June 3, 2013, 05:10 PM   #6
csmsss

The most essential attribute of a combat arm (yeah, the 1911 is a combat arm) is that it function reliably. A certain amount of "slop" in the fitting between slide and frame assists in assuring reliable function in dirty or extreme climatic conditions. I would be a bit nervous if the pistol wasn't at least a little bit loose after initial break-in (assuming I intended it to be a defensive item, of course).
Old June 4, 2013, 06:34 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

usage matters

Yes.

Vertical must be eliminated.

How does it shoot?
What is your intended use?
How much do you shoot?
How good a shot are you?

In other words, the way it is, is that good enough for you?