The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2013, 08:45 AM   #1
bigbou

want to create 25-06 brass from 30.06

Alright, all the manuals I have as well as a current article in "Shooting" magazine make it seem easy to simply place my 30-06 brass in my full length 25-06 die and pull the RCBS handle and create a new brass casing for my 25-06. They keep coming out with the neck "dimpled" ....certainly does not look like my other 25-06 brass. What am I doing wrong? Would ultimately like to create .270 brass from the plethora of 06 brass I own to practice shooting for a caribou hunt next year. Will acquire the .270 dies soon.
Though not a total rookie at reloading (took a Cape Buffalo with my own reloads) necking down shouldn't be this difficult. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Airman Basic

From 30 to 25 might be too much to squeeze down in one go. Try a 270 die first, then the 25. Also, too much lube will cause the dents you're describing. I have necked down 30-06 and 308 cases to 243 without problems. Don't forget to trim the inside diameter to spec. The necks will be too thick without it. Wouldn't hurt to anneal the necks, either, otherwise they won't last many loadings.
Old May 29, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3
bigbou

thank you AB

Of course, too much, too fast....will do it in stages and learn about annealing as well. Again, appreciate the advice.
Old May 29, 2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Might be a good time to try a Redding body die in .25-06.

It's designed to size just the body, so the neck is larger than a sized .25-06 neck.

I used a .243Win body die to size .308 and 7mm-08 brass to .243AI.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 29, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old May 29, 2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Mike / Tx

Sounds like your simply putting too much lube on them. That is usually one of the biggest signs of dimples on the cases, especially around the shoulders. Might also help to take a bronze brush with a patch around it and wipe out the inside of your die, as well as check the breather hole on the side to be sure it isn't plugged.

I only say this as I have necked down hundreds of straight 30-06 cases into both 270 and 25-06 for the same reasons. I use them for both hunting and target practice due to being able to pick up so many once fired '06 at the public ranges. I know exactly what your referring to I used to get it when I used RCBS lube a lot.

I use Imperial sizing wax now for the most part but straight lanolin or mink oil has both worked great as well. I get about a pea sized dab on one finger, slather in my palm and then slide my hands back and forth together to spread it out. Once thats done I usually roll 5-6 cases at a time, back and forth three or four times, between my hands then set them in the loading tray. I add a little bit after 15-20 cases, or when it feels like its not coating them enough. When I get what I need lubed up, I wipe off the excess from my hands and start sizing.
Old May 29, 2013, 06:50 PM   #6
trobin

Rcbs makes a case trimming die that resizes 30-06 to 25-06. That may be worth the money.