The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 29, 2013, 02:14 AM   #1
k511

which ambi safety?

I usually go with Wilson extended ambi safetys for most of my 1911s , but this ones going to be for ccw so I'm looking for something low profile and snag free...I really like the ambi safety on my SIG STX, but from what I understand SIG changed the design of their safety from the design of the standard. Is this true?
Old May 29, 2013, 03:49 AM   #2
Venom1956

what is the question? do you need a safety made for a SIG 1911 or a regular 1911 safety that feels like the SIG one? I am guessing the just a plain 1911 safety? there are all sorts online. I'll check what that one looks like and get back to u.

http://www.brownells.com/items/1911-ambi-safety.aspx
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 29, 2013, 03:57 AM   #3
kcub

My smith recommended Kimber as having the best lockup, but its not low profile.

He also said Muesche's are crap these days.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:07 PM   #4
k511

I'm looking for one for a regular 1911, if I could find one similar to the SIG stx that would be ideal
Old May 29, 2013, 12:38 PM   #5
BarryLee

I saw a guy at the range that had installed an Ed brown Tactical Ambi-Safety on his gun. I did not shoot the gun, but they appeared to be good quality and were low profile.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...-prod1324.aspx
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 29, 2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Grant D

Wilson Combat has a low profile ambidextrous one for $59.95
Old May 29, 2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Caz83

Quote:
I saw a guy at the range that had installed an Ed brown Tactical Ambi-Safety on his gun. I did not shoot the gun, but they appeared to be good quality and were low profile.

If you're planning to install it yourself, Be aware the Ed Brown safeties are engineered beefier internally so a lot of fitting is involved. I fit one to my Dan Wesson Guardian but it was a PITA with needle files and a dremel. Go slow and carefull.
Old May 29, 2013, 03:07 PM   #8
RickB

Low profile in width, or length? Either way, it's easy to cut the levers down to whatever size or shape you want. I don't know what SIG would have done to their thumb safety to make it incompatible with other 1911-style pistols? The pin holes, the sear, and what have you are all in the same place.
I have problems with the lever on the left side rubbing on the top of my trigger finger, so I'll sometimes have to remove some material from the rear corner of that lever. I've also shortened the lever on that side, as I rarely use it.