The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 31, 2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Sweet Shooter

UTG Quadrails

I put a cheep drop-in UTG quadrail on my SIG M400. I have to say I am very impressed at how positive the lock-up is and there is no play whatsoever. I did a check with a small slip of paper to see if the gas tube was being squeezed and there is plenty of clearance in there. I love these rails.

Quick question... While I think the overall package including the covers might feel more firm/substantial at the bench than the regular heatshield/handguards, does anyone actual run/walk with the covers on? Find them cumbersome? Do I need to have them on there? I have no real intention of using the rails for anything, just wanted something that locked up better.
-SS-
Old October 31, 2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

There seems to be a lot of mixed opinons on UTG Rails. I have had two sets. One set was perfect like you said and the other set would not go together. It took a bit of milling on a couple of surfaces for them to fit correctly and they are now on a buddy's gun and he is quite happy. As he noted, it took about 2 minutes.

So they aren't always drop-in exactly, but a lot of drop-in parts aren't either. However, for the $ and if you aren't planning on taking over another 1st world country, they can be an excellent value.
Old October 31, 2012, 12:42 PM   #3
zukiphile

I have those on a midlength.

I wanted to be able to easily test some options without covering my MOE in rails, and I didn't want or need a free floated, $200 rail apparatus, as nice as some of those are. I also wanted to leave the front sight alone.

It fit much better than I expected. I would prefer that it not be quite so wide; with rail covers on, it is heavy and feels odd. As good as it is, I am not confident I will keep it once I am finished with testing.

Given the modest price and questionable resale value, I might see if I can have someone grind the rails of the sides so it doesn't feel so bulky.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Sweet Shooter

Yeah... I'm not so bothered about the size of the rail itself, just with the guards on. Grinding on the rail sides will take away the mechanism that anchors it and makes it so positive.

I'm thinking I just needed a tube, but I don't want the free floating going on, and don't see why there is not a drop-in slim/round aluminum tube, and I too wanted the A2 sight up front to stay.

-SS-
Old October 31, 2012, 01:31 PM   #5
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
Grinding on the rail sides will take away the mechanism that anchors it and makes it so positive.
I would think that so long as the screwed together areas at the ends were left, it should be OK. If I am wrong, I will have ruined a $45 item.

That should be the worst mistake I ever make.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Sweet Shooter

True... and to that end you could always put some spacers in there... as log as they allowed the tension you need to tighten.

Now you're giving me ideas. A belt sander would make short work of it.

-SS-
Old November 1, 2012, 07:20 PM   #7
DasGuy

http://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Ladd...r15+rail+cover

I like these. They protect / make the rails a little more comfortable to hold onto without being cumbersome. Plus, they're cheap.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:33 PM   #8
ripnbst

Look at the Nordic tactical handguard.
Old November 2, 2012, 08:17 AM   #9
zukiphile

Does nordic make something in a drop-in? My search only turned up free float tubes.
Old November 2, 2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Eghad

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_ID=422

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...category_ID=64

NRA Life Member
Old November 5, 2012, 01:40 AM   #11
MB21

I have a UTG quad rail, and I love it. I put my MBUS sight on it and it holds its zero quite nicely, as advertised. What I did was put the rail cover on the back two of the very bottom, and just took the rest off. With covers on it is very bulky for me, I have small hands. But without, it fits perfectly.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:39 PM   #12
Stevie-Ray

I've had the UTG quadrail on my Colt 6721 for years. I found it very tight-fitting, very positive, and quite strong. It's held up for all these years and I'm quite happy with it. And half the price of the competition.
Old November 6, 2012, 12:51 AM   #13
Justice06RR

I just bought and installed a UTG quadrail on my carbine AR. Fit is very tight and i'm surprise how well it fits with my setup, considering I paid $50 for it.

it does feel front-heavy compared to just having a handguard or round FF rail.