The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 15, 2012, 11:43 PM   #1
rmocarsky

slugs through a rifled barrel?

I have a friend that just bought a single shot H&R (I think) 12 Ga. with a fully rifled barrel.

The seller told him that it will shoot Foster slugs just fine, and they will not harm the barrel. Told him that under 75 yards there is no difference in accuracy between Fosters and saboted slugs; after that, there is a difference.

What say Ye?

Rmocarsky
Old October 15, 2012, 11:45 PM   #2
the rifleer

I say try it. I can't imagine it hurting anything.
Old October 16, 2012, 06:50 AM   #3
cdmckane

He may have a tougher time cleaning it. I shoot foster slugs through my Savage 220f during spring and summer because they're cheaper than sabots and I'm just blasting milk jugs for fun with the guys. At the end of August I'll strip it down and give it a good cleaning before sighting it in for deer season. Fosters foul up the rifling pretty good and it takes some elbow grease to get it all out

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Old October 16, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4
donkee

Well, if it is rifled it is best to shoot sabots. If it is a smooth bore shoot rifled slugs. I don't own and probably never will own a shotgun with a rifled barrel. They aren't as versatile (IMO, personal preference, etc).
Old October 16, 2012, 03:54 PM   #5
SteelChickenShooter

I can say that opinions on this can be right or wrong because this happened to me: I had a single shot shorter barrel H&R that shot sabots dead nuts spot on. I later bought a longer barrel thumb hole stock model and it would not shoot sabots accurately at all. However, it did shoot regular Remington slugs at typical distances just fine.
So whether or not a particular shotgun will or will not be accurate using one slug type or another, to me, remains to be seen on paper at the range.