The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1
elysian

Two A-5's

Been in the family for awhile need to some help with both of them even though I think I got most of it.

1) Is a 3 shot 12 ga. with the FN symbol on the insert slide with the numbers240081 (1947? Right?). Barrel and top of the receiver both say Browning Arms St. Louis. Barrel reads "Special Steel-12Gauge-2 3/4'" 0 KG 810 *F (Full choke) then we have a weird circle with ELG * in it and the 12-70. On the other side is says made in Belgium.

So I have this gun as made in 1947 with a full choke. I'm not sure what the ELG* means so any info would be appreciated. My main concern with this gun is I need to run steel where I hunt and I know this barrel won't take it so I am wondering if I can use a Invector Barrel and where to look for one also is it possible with the new barrel to go up to 3". Also is the gun Belgian or not?

Okay Second Gun:

5 shot 16 ga. with FN symbol on the insert slide with numbers 126670 (1932????). I know this gun was assembled in Belgium and I also know with the 16-65 that its 2 9/16ths. This bothers me because I used this gun frequently growing up with 2 3/4's and wondered why it would fail to cycle occasionally, oh well, still have all my fingers. That said even though its a nice gun in what I would call 75-80% I really have no use for it. What is this gun worth? Or what should I do with it?
Old October 30, 2011, 08:08 PM   #2
zippy13

The ELG is a standard Belgian proofmark.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:51 PM   #3
elysian

Thanks good to know! Am I correct on my years?
Old October 31, 2011, 02:27 AM   #4
Scorch

First off, both guns are 5-shot semiautomatics (that's what Auto-5 means), the 12 gauge just has a plug in it to limit magazine capacity while hunting migratory birds (Federal law).

You can probably buy an Invector barrel for the 12 gauge, they are no longer made AFAIK but are available if you look. Any 2-3/4" 12 ga Auto-5/A-5 Invector barrel will work.

The 16 gauge would have to be modified to use 2-3/4" shells. I used to do a few of these. Because of the cost involved and many people not knowing what all is involved, the guns tend to have a low resale value. If you are interested in selling it, PM me with pics.
Old October 31, 2011, 07:57 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

Finding the shorter shells is easier than what most people think. Holland and Holland, Estate, PolyWad, and Westly Richards Agency all have 16 gauge 2 1/2 inch shells for sale, also balisticproducts or RST make the 2 1/2 inch shell

For the amount of shooting you will do with the 16 a flat will last a long time. Prices will vary but the cost is around $100 plus $$ give or take some $$.
Old October 31, 2011, 10:53 AM   #6
elysian

The 16 Ga. is most likely retired. I will get a few boxes of shells but its doubtful to see much action anymore. Any idea what it would be worth anyway? Am I wrong thinking its in the $500 range? Its in great shape with the finish on the underside of the barrel the only place showing wear.

Also am I correct in dating these guns as 1947 for the 12 and 1932 for the 16?