The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 16, 2000, 11:44 PM   #1
Kaliburz

Harley (and anyone else who has info),

I'm trying to dig up some info on this pistol: Colt All American 2000. So far this is what I know:

Colt made a double stack 9mm, DAO pistol. First ones had an aluminum frame and rest had polymer frames. It had a trigger mounted on roller bearings and a rotating bolt(?) like a M16/AR15. Colt only produced them from 91 to 93.

I don't know about the rest, but on other forums (1911forum.com), people have said that there was reliability problems. The trigger had a heavy pull (it's a Colt, look at their DAO .380's). The trigger couldn't be adjusted and that it had a long pull. Other people said it was okay, except for the trigger. Someone mentioned it a buddy used it for a match and it broke on the second match?!

Harley, I'm trying to find out "the truth"...if there is such a thing....
* What is the trigger pull (in pounds)? Did Colt publish it in the owner's manual?
* Can it be adjusted? (If so, I'd like it to be about 4.5-5 pounds, like a Glock?)
* Was there a design "problem"? If so, was it fixed in the "later polymer" guns?
* Is it reliable (jams, feed problems, so on...basically, is it a gun that one would bet their life on?)? Was the jamming due to the use of reloads?
* What's the going price of a NIB 2000 w/ 2 mags and the "original" box & stuff? (Ball park guess....)

I'm asking all this since I'm looking for a 9mm, (my other 9mm is KIA) and I guess I wanted to be "different". But I'd like one that's "good".....I don't want a lemon.

Well, thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this stuff.

Kaliburz
-PS Harley, the info will play a "large" role on if I decide to get one...saw a NIB on a site. Bad thing it's an auction site....can you get the info in 72 hours? Sorry, but you're my last resort. Couldn't dig up enough info myself.....Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Kaliburz (edited October 17, 2000).]
Old October 17, 2000, 01:40 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

They should be collector's items sometime in the future. As guns, how do you spell POS? I can't imagine why anyone who owns or has tried one of those would want to use it in any conceivable role as a real gun.

The 1999 Blue Book gives a 100% price for the polymer frame as $725, the aluminum frame (3000 made) as $750. I have seen them at shows and in shops for $250 within the last year.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited October 17, 2000).]
Old October 17, 2000, 03:37 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Keenan:
They should be collector's items sometime in the future. As guns, how do you spell POS? I can't imagine why anyone who owns or has tried one of those would want to use it in any conceivable role as a real gun.

The 1999 Blue Book gives a 100% price for the polymer frame as $725, the aluminum frame (3000 made) as $750. I have seen them at shows and in shops for $250 within the last year.

[/quote]

A local gunshop has one for $450, with two 15-round mags. I said, "I didn't know those things sell for THAT much." The owner said, "I'm not sure they do. We'll see." He kind of laughed. (He knows his guns -- sold several thousand from that little shop last year.)

A friend has one of these guns, and I've shot it. It wasn't THAT bad, but it does have a LONG double-action only trigger.

Early in their history there was a MAJOR safety recall, and if you buy one you should look for the documentation from Colt that the changes have been made for that gun.
Old October 17, 2000, 09:49 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I let a half dozen good pistol shooters try mine. None could hit anything, off hand or from a rest. The trigger pull is not only long, but creepy and varies in mid-pull. I can't speak for accuracy of the gun as such, since I had no Ransom rest blocks for the gun and shooting any other way simply could not be done with accuracy, even holding the gun as tightly as possible.

The gun is blocky, top heavy, and awkward looking and (IMHO) much too big for 9mm. It does not feel especially good, and was very unreliable. I had numerous jams and misfires.

There are now no extra magazines available, and many kinds of ammo it doesn't seem to like at all. The 2000 is just one more case of Colt going off on a tangent, too little, too late, with the wrong product, and then wondering why their stuff doesn't sell.

I put the POS away and will wait and see if it becomes the next "Paterson".

Jim
Old October 18, 2000, 12:51 PM   #5
Kaliburz

Jim,

Was your's an early production or one of the later ones?

I figured I'd put a post to see the "history" on it. As a collector's item, it would probably be a good buy, but as a shooter, so far all I've heard is bad.....

Any more stuff to add about the 2000...anyone?
Old October 18, 2000, 03:11 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Mine was PF132xx. I can't find my later Colt number lists, so I don't know where that falls in production. Some writers indicate that there were problems in production, but in my experience, potential customers handled the gun, tried the trigger, and bought something else. I didn't get one for myself until they were discontinued and going for "fire sale" prices, under $250. I think the last MSRP was close to $600.

Jim