The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 12, 1999, 11:50 PM   #1
westex

I've been offered a firearm as a partial debt payment marked as follows: INGRAM M10A1 CAL.9MM.45A.O.P.
MILITARY ARMAMENT CORP.
STEPHENVILLE, TX.USA
It looks like it would make a decent anchor for my bass boat! Does it have any other value? History? How would I dissamble it?

------------------
Old August 13, 1999, 09:36 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

This is the original Mac 10. It was designed by Gordon Ingram. This is the most desireable variant of all the Mac 10s. I presume that yours is the semi-auto version and not the full-auto. Is it an open bolt or closed bolt? From what I understand, the early ones were open bolts though I may be mistaken.
Old August 13, 1999, 01:20 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Westex,

FAL308 is referring to the method of firing. If you pull back the bolt and it stays back until you pull the trigger, it is the "open bolt" type. If the bolt closes and then you pull the trigger separately to fire, it is "closed bolt".

If the gun is a full auto (machinegun), avoid it unless it is legally registered and the owner is willing to go through the paper work to tansfer it. Other wise, it is illegal.

If semi-auto and open bolt, it could be worth $500 to $800, depending on condition. The closed bolt version brings only about $200-300.

Jim

Old August 14, 1999, 12:33 AM   #4
westex

Thanks for the info. For $150 I think I'll take it. I was considering making it my CHL "carry piece" but I probably wouldn't be able to walk in a straight line and a IWB holster might be tough to find, however, it's so ugly with it's 30 rd. mag maybe open carry is the way to go.

One big question: how do I disassemble the thing? Any help here?

------------------
Old August 14, 1999, 12:31 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm doing this from memory and if anybody has more accurate information, please don't hesitate to correct me. No ego bruised here since Iearning is good for all of us.

First, firearm pointed in safe direction and finger off trigger.

Remove magazine. Pull bolt back to ensure that it is empty. (Don't know whether safety must be engaged or not).

Look at the front of the lower receiver (beneath where the front sight is). You'll see a large push pin. Push that pin out.

Lift the upper receiver up and it should separate from the lower. Remove (Don't know whether it's held in by spring tension or screwed in) bolt handle from bolt. Compress bolt slightly and you should be able to drop it out from the upper receiver.
That should complete the field stripping of your Ingram.

BTW, M10/45 magas are available from EtCetera (1-800-642-1600) at $19.95 each. You can write them at P.O. Box 929, Copperhill, TN 37317. Can't vouch for them as I've only seen the ad in Shotgun News (The Only Newspaper worth reading).

Have fun and good luck.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old August 19, 1999, 01:23 AM   #6
SHORTFUSE

I have fired an Ingram mac10
full auto .45acp Yeeehhhaaa!
I almost bought one of the older
ones semi-auto "open bolt". Easily
converted to full-auto. Now they
are only available in the closed
bolt variation. I ended up buying