The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Slugo

Bagged a LNIB 1985 Citori skeet gun...

12ga/28" with high-rib and standard Invector (non-plus) skeet chokes. It'll be nice having a dedicated skeet gun. I especially like the 28" barrels. Now using a pair of Browning Citori 12ga/30" sporting clay guns. The Special Skeet is a little lighter and quicker. Can't wait until it arrives. Isn't she purtty!!

Old April 19, 2011, 09:25 PM   #2
oneounceload

You've been on quite the buying spree lately - nice gun. With chokes, it can also become a sporting back-up easily enough.
Old April 19, 2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Slugo

I guess you could call it that! Over the years I've been using two guns most of the time. Now I have this silly need to collect a few more. I really wanted a dedicated skeet gun since I began shooting skeet again. My 30" sporting clay guns just felt a tad heavy and tired me out after 3 or 4 rounds of skeet. But, I will try the gun out on sporting clays too...
Old April 20, 2011, 08:58 AM   #4
oneounceload

I'm the opposite - I shoot sporting - I stopped skeet years ago and now only do it if a friend is on the skeet field by himself. Did that last week and wound up with 48/50 over 2 rounds - both a 24. Dropped the high house @8 when I started thinking how I had it run..... Used my 32" 8.25# Browning with IC in both barrels from a semi-soft low mount). Longer and heavier guns aren't a detriment - I just had to move my hold point a little further from the house
Old April 20, 2011, 11:02 AM   #5
BigJimP

Nice find ...hope you get a lot of use out of it ...

For me personally, I use the same gun for sporting clays and skeet ..A Browning Citori - XS Skeet model with 30" barrels ... and to me, its a nice compromise of length and weight ....on skeet and sporting targets / at around 8 1/2 lbs. But my Skeet buddy still shoots a Krieghoff with 26" barrels on Skeet ...and he loves it ...

Its all about the feel and confidence in your swing and how the gun feels in your hands.

By the way - take that gun to the pattern board ...I have a few of the older Citori Lightning models with the standard Invector chokes in them ...and sum of them pattern a little wider than indicated on the choke. Overall they seem to pattern a little wider than the guns I have with the Invector Plus chokes.
Old April 20, 2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Slugo

1ozLoad, the #8 high house is a bitch! Think FAST!!!
Old April 20, 2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Slugo

BigJimP, here's another one of my favorites. Vintage 70's 12ga 1100 with 26" skeet barrel. A blast from the past!!

Old April 20, 2011, 01:33 PM   #8
BigJimP

Nice looking gun ...thanks for sharing it ...
Old April 20, 2011, 02:22 PM   #9
zippy13

the #8 high house is a bitch! Think FAST!!!
It's not any faster, don't let Station 8 mess with your head -- it takes just as long for the target to get over the center stake at 8 as it does at the other stations. The secret to Station 8 is perfecting your foot position and hold point.
Old April 20, 2011, 02:49 PM   #10
BigJimP

I have station 8 --- eating out of my hand .....its so tame .... !!

Now stations 2 and 6 are another matter ...( but I'm getting old / and almost legally blind ...) ...and its the only excuse I have / and I'm sticking with it !!.
Old April 20, 2011, 03:16 PM   #11
oneounceload

Oh, 8 doesn't bother me - over the years my barrel hold point has gone from the lower corner of the opening to the furthest right corner of the building overhang - I just started thinking "I got it run" - did that yesterday on the 5-stand - dropped the last target - a rabbit - which I NEVER miss, especially from the last stand...........started thinking I got it run...........

Hard to keep that thought out of your head sometimes - and when it creeps in, you're toast!
Old April 20, 2011, 04:56 PM   #12
BigJimP

Speaking of rabbits .... rabbit hunting season opens on Sunday, I think ...

nothing quite like a nice crispy skin rabbit, some fried potatoes, maybe a little biscuits and gravy ... and jelly beans for dessert ...

those clay rabbits are a little tough and chewy ....