The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 17, 2011, 10:28 AM   #1
reconcoupe

Which AR15

Well, the wife is getting ready to spend my money again. We've narrowed down the choices on her first rifle (personally owned, she's shot in the military plenty).

We've decided on either a cheap AK, doesn't really matter what brand for the AK. I've never really been a fan, but she's shooting one at the range today, and I'm fairly confident she won't like it. IF she does it will be the cheapest on we can find at the local guns store, 350-500 range.

Or, an AR15 since were both very familiar with the platform as a M16/M4. I however am not familiar with many of the brands and I know there are a lot out there. I just wanted some personal opinions on which brands you like and dislike. She wants an M4 style, left handed preferred, and wants to stay around 1,000-1300 for the rifle. We were thinking Stag Arms 2LT model.

Thanks in advanced
Old April 17, 2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Quentin2

Well for a left handed AR it's pretty hard to avoid Stag. But like you say she's got a lot of experience with a normal AR so I wouldn't be too quick to discount them - especially with all the good ones in your price range. BCM, Daniel Defense, Colt, etc.
Old April 17, 2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Catfishman

Double Star

I like my Double-Star. They cost a lot less than your budget but mine is very accurate and completely reliable.
Old April 17, 2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Jim243

Your pretty well stuck with Stag for left handed AR's.

Jim
Old April 17, 2011, 03:12 PM   #5
grumpa72

He is a slightly old article on AR selection but the basics are still relevant.

http://forums.officer.com/showthread...y-an-AR-15-huh

The author is a police officer and his information seems to be pretty accurate. It makes a good read and gives you pretty decent background information. I am certain that he may be biased (aren't we all to a degree e.g. Ford versus Chevy guys) but he still points out the pluses and minuses in the article.
Old April 17, 2011, 06:41 PM   #6
pwrstrkd

Nothing wrong with stag. It may be one of your only options but saying "stuck" with it sounds negative when its not
Old April 18, 2011, 09:05 AM   #7
tirod

Brand won't get you much more than the ability to see it engraved on the lower.

Select features that match what you want it to do, and the brands sort out quickly. Best example ever - left hand AR. Stag is an almost exclusive choice. Almost.

Check CMMG, they offer an upper that is ambidextrous - the side panels are removable. You can set up a left hand version with FA on both sides if you want. IIRC they have an ambidextrous lower, too.

You aren't stuck with Stag, it's becoming an market of choice. But if left hand is a priority, dump the brand selection. It's features selection first, and you pick what brands are left.
Old April 18, 2011, 11:25 AM   #8
goodspeed(TPF)

Quote:
Brand won't get you much more than the ability to see it engraved on the lower.

So why would anyone pay so much for a Noveske, LMT, Colt, BCM, Barrett, or the like when a DPMS, Bushmaster, Double Star, Olympic Arms, .etc can be had for hundreds if not thousands less?

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old April 18, 2011, 01:16 PM   #9
BikerRN

I paid for a Colt because the issues that are important to me cost a little more.

Reliability and dependability isn't cheap.

As for a left handed AR, my advice is don't.

I'm a lefty and I shoot a right handed configuration in bolt action and autoloading rifles. Since they are the most prevelant I opted to go with what 90% of the rifles out there are, right handed. Having seen left handed shooters use a borrowed right handed gun always leads to bemused smiles on my part, and usually frustration on the shooter's part. take that for what it's worth.

Biker
Old April 18, 2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Philo

Quote:
So why would anyone pay so much for a Noveske, LMT, Colt, BCM, Barrett, or the like when a DPMS, Bushmaster, Double Star, Olympic Arms, .etc can be had for hundreds if not thousands less?
I'm still trying to put my finger on that. Better quality, name recognition, pretty colors? I don't know. There are so many brands out there, such a broad range of prices, and so many options. It's really hard to compare and figure out which one is best for the price. BTW, that old AR selection article mentioned above is very helpful, but some of the info is out of date.

I selected my Bushmaster M4 patrolman's carbine after I shot one at the range and asked some owners a lot of questions. It impressed me with its reliability and low price. I picked up the A3 version last month for just over $900. I've had it to the range several times and put a couple hundred rounds of .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO through it without one single problem. It isn't pretty, but it will do the job and I don't think I will have to worry much about it.
Old April 18, 2011, 02:48 PM   #11
BikerRN

I attempted to answer the price question earlier, but appartently the message wasn't received.

I pay a little more for a known brand that is quality because of dependability and reliability. I guess the big factor is, what are you going to do with your rifle? Me, while I plink, go to the range, and hunt with my AR, it's primary purpose is as a life saving piece of equipment. I want the best I can afford for that purpose. Also, a lot is going to depend upon how hard you run your gun. I've gone 2500 rounds between cleanings on a couple of occassions.

Can your lower tier AR do that?

Biker
Old April 18, 2011, 02:50 PM   #12
Volucris

Buy a base-model Colt police carbine and change nothing about the internals. Or buy a BCM upper.

Spikes Tactical makes good quality stuff too as does S&W.

Stay away from Del Ton, Stag, RRA, CMMG, etc.
Old April 18, 2011, 03:10 PM   #13
Quentin2

Quote:
People keep saying the price hike for a quality AR is high but not if you are patient and shop around.

Earlier this year I built the equivalent of a Daniel Defense M4V3 LW except with MOE handguards instead of rails for about $850 with iron sights, sling and PMAG. That's in the ballpark of DPMS, Bushmaster, Doublestar, Olympic, RRA, etc. though I sure couldn't recommend one of them at that price, knowing what can be done with the money.