The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 14, 2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Sphawley

Nagant Bolt

I have a new mosin nagant, and i love it it!

However the bolt seems to be sticking when I go to eject the shell. It does not stick every time though. I'm shooting Milsurp ammo. To me it seems that it only sticks as the gun gets hotter, but maybe thats me just trying to find my own solution.

Am I not oiling the gun correctly? Do I have an issue with my bolt? any ideas?Anything helps! Thanks!
Old September 14, 2010, 01:27 PM   #2
azredhawk44

It's cosmoline in the chamber, probably.

Clean it. Research how to clean cosmoline. Google will give you plenty of different techniques. Most techniques involve some sort of heat source and a drip process, followed by some final scrubbing or patch-running.

You'll probably have to disassemble the bolt assembly, too, as cosmoline is likely to be inside the small parts in it.
Old September 14, 2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Sphawley

The gun does not appear to have any more cosmoline...but I can try cleaning it again...

How can I tell if there is cosmoline left?

Any other ideas of what could be wrong?
Old September 14, 2010, 05:38 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Is the ammo lacquered steel case? There have been reports that some ammo of that type gives hard extraction when the gun is hot, sort of gluing itself to the chamber.

Jim
Old September 14, 2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Sphawley

Jim,

How do I know if its has a lacquered steel case?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM653-5.html

This is the ammo I'm using. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, im fairly new with this firearm.

Thanks again
Old September 15, 2010, 01:39 AM   #6
LAlineman

Sticky Bolt

Sphawley, The laquered cases have a greenish tint to them! I would not recommend useing them for anything you are going to shoot a lot of ammo through. Once the chamber heats up the laquer coating begins to stick to everything, causing many problems,plus it,s non-reloadable, although some claim to be able to reload it. (carefully).

I just finished Tuning a Mosin for this very problem, Here's how to fix it:

1- With a good flashlight, look inside the chamber for any foreign material, shavings, cosmoline etc. Remove it all !

2- With a 20ga. shotgun bore brush attached to one section of your cleaning rod and then to a drill, Polish the Chamber until you are satified with the result.

3- Go To: Brownells.com and purchase JB- Embedding bore cleaner and JB- Bore Brite and clean the Chamber and also the Bore while you,re at it. Just follow the instructions on the can.

4- For a truly Smooth Bolt, Use a Polishing wheel and some Red or White Polishing Rouge( Home Depot) and Polish the entire " Bolt" until all rough edges etc are smooth.

5- Apply a "small" amount of Lube to the Bolt and your newly tuned Bolt should operate with Two Fingers ! Not to mention a nice shiney Bore.

* These Mosins are famous for the "The Sticky Bolt Syndrome". So you may have to do it again after many fired rounds.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

LAlineman ( Wilkinson Gunsmithing).

Last edited by LAlineman; September 15, 2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old September 15, 2010, 02:20 PM   #7
divil

This guy has a very good video about exactly the problem you're describing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXC_PQkLkNA

Actually he has a lot of videos about Mosin Nagants and other surplus rifles in general - how to maintain and restore them, stuff like that.
Old September 15, 2010, 06:19 PM   #8
doofus47

I had exactly your problem with my MN. After 15 rounds it would stick shut.
I cleaned the chamber several times with a shotgun brush but the problem returned. I eventually began running large amounts of wax-based bicycle chain lube through the bolt and working it over and over. It was a red-colored bike chain lube called Rock and Roll.
Brown gunk ran out of my bolt. I blew it out with compressed air. It took several turns at this, and less brown stuff emerged each time. The bolt ran like a champ (like a well-oiled chain, actually) after that. Make sure that the wax dries, though, since the carrier agent is flammable.
Old September 15, 2010, 07:16 PM   #9
SigP6Carry

all the info you could ever need: http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianm...9130/index.asp
Old September 17, 2010, 04:56 PM   #10
gandog56

Now as to the title of your topic here, the Gunny says.....

Old September 18, 2010, 07:24 AM   #11
TX Hunter

Try some Silver Bear ammo, I have had good luck with it The Surplus shells with the Lacquer stick a bit in mine too.