The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 29, 2010, 07:15 PM   #1
TomK

A Word of Praise

Back on July second I ordered a Ken Howell's conversion cylinder for my '58 "Remington" from Midway. In my abysmal ignorance I requested the cylinder be sent USPS. I waited, and I waited, and finally called Midway and was told by the nice lady that USPS takes three to four WEEKS for delivery. So, I waited, and I waited, and I waited some more. Then, Monday, four days ago I again called Midway. I spoke to a very knowledgeable and helpful representative who took about three and a half minutes to reach a decision, get an OK from a supervisor (because of the cost involved) and to tell me that the replacement cylinder is on-the-way----on The Big Brown Truck Of Happiness this time, NOT USPS. Midway Arms? HOORAH! Go Midway! (I'll for sure be a regular customer at Midway, but the next time I request something shipped via USPS would some kind soul PLEASE slap me up longside my left ear?)
Y'r Ob't Sv't TomK
Old July 29, 2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Dino.

I bought a Howell conversion cylinder for my '49 Pocket from Midway.
Excellent service, great product!

Would love to see some pics, Tom!
Old July 30, 2010, 09:07 AM   #3
wittzo

That's weird, every time I order from Midway, the package is on my front porch or in my mailbox 2 or 3 days later via USPS.

At first thought, it might be because they're having Taylor's mail them the cylinder, then sending it to you, but I ordered two conversion cylinders and they came right away with some other stuff.
Old July 30, 2010, 10:40 AM   #4
grymster2007

Recently, I placed an order with Midway and at check-out I noticed that they included a $3 "special handling" fee. When I asked for an explanation, they told me it was because my order totaled less than $25. Now $3 isn't much, but given that I've spent thousands of dollars there over the years, it rubbed me the wrong way. I told them it has been a pleasure doing business, but I'm finished with them until such time they might change their policy.
Old July 30, 2010, 07:46 PM   #5
azyogi

USPS

Ordered some stuff from the ammo bunker took 4 days, then again some from the sportsmens guide, the tracking on it shows it got to town this am at 0135. Can't you track your package like I did mine from the USPs web site?
Old July 31, 2010, 10:40 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Quote:
That's weird, every time I order from Midway, the package is on my front porch or in my mailbox 2 or 3 days later via USPS.
I always specify USPS Priority mail with Midway, four days at max from time of order.
Old July 31, 2010, 10:57 AM   #7
wittzo

I can't stand minimum order fees. If you can't afford to sell stuff to me, you're not doing something right.
Old July 31, 2010, 11:21 AM   #8
TXGunNut

I can see min order fees because of labor and packaging costs involved. I also think that with their order history capability they should be able to waive that for a regular customer. Can't figure out the "3-4 week" thing w/ USPS. Parcel post seldom takes more than a couple of days over priority and is generally cheaper than Big Brown Truck.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 31, 2010, 12:08 PM   #9
grymster2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGunNut
I also think that with their order history capability they should be able to waive that for a regular customer.
This. I could understand if I had placed three $18 orders over the past year, but I spent hundreds at a minimum. It's not the $3, but the principal.
Old July 31, 2010, 02:06 PM   #10
TomK

I Got The Cylinder

The good folks at UPS delivered the conversion cylinder for my Remmie" yesterday (Friday.) It slips right into the frame, locks good and operates as good as the original BP cylinder. I am one happy guy. Now if I can just figure out how to make those lead things that come out of the small end of the Remmie hit the dang target sometimes......
Y'r Ob't Sv't TomK