The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 7, 2009, 01:02 AM   #1
bluper

Ruger New Vaquero HELP cleaning

I just bought my first new vaquero...picked it up at a gun show.
The action is sweet. It was sold to me as like new unfired, but the action is too smooth. I think it has had some action mods.

Anyways can someone please answer a couple of question about saa type revolvers.
What about the lead build up on the forcing cone and inside the cylinders? Is there a special tool to remove this, because I cant get it out with a brush? I have been scraping it out of the forcing cone with a brass cleaning patch hoop / rod. I also have an uberti regulator and the lead build up on it is about 8 times worse than the new vaquero.

Next question.
The vaquero is a case blue finish. What type of solution is best for the case blue finish or what solution will not harm this finish? My uberti also has the case finish and it is almost gone. I have been using the hopes nitro solv.
Old December 7, 2009, 10:52 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

I've always used a Lewis lead remover. I've had mine for thirty plus years, wore out a few screens, well worth the money.

Rugers case finish is a coating of some type, not real color case hardening. It comes off rather easy with gun cleaning chemicals. The newer revolvers do not have it. Personally I would just strip it and keep the steel oiled. You could strip it with Naval Jelly then give it a second coat of NJ, that well leave a phosphate finish that is similar to French Grey.
Old December 8, 2009, 12:21 AM   #3
bluper

Ok thanks i'll give it try!