The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 16, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
dabigguns357

shooting matches for beginner woman

My wife and i have been wanting to get started shooting in matches for both her and i.I see Idpa matches on tv but i haven't seen anything local so far.Also i noticed in the rule book that all but one of my pistols will not qualify for any of the matches,do all pistols and revolvers have to be dao or was i reading the rules wrong.I have a sig 229(357 sig),glock 22,S&W 686 4 inch and a Rossi m677.

Does this mean i'll have to buy a special gun for me and my wife.If so what would be a good choice for both of us.I can handle anything but my wife doesn't like semi-auto's near as much as revolvers,and is there a class/match for women/revlover's to compete in.
Old September 16, 2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Jim Watson

You have perhaps misinterpreted the rule book.
There is no requirement for DAO actions in any of the five divisions.

Your P239, G22, and M686 4" are all just fine for IDPA.
The Rossi 677 is a six shot .357 with 2" barrel, right? If so, it is permissible but the short sight radius would be a disadvantage.

There is a Lady's category but they get to shoot the same courses of fire with the same guns as the guys, the distinction just shows up when the scores are posted.
If YOUR Lady doesn't mind the weight of the 686 she would be fine with that. If she finds it heavy, a K-frame S&W like a model 15 or 19 would be just about perfect. But she must manage the speedloader. Safariland Comp III and Jetloader are the fastest on the reload.
Old September 16, 2009, 10:06 PM   #3
dabigguns357

Thank you sir,i was wandering if i had misread them.You are also right about my 686 being alittle heavy,and the rossi wouldn't do.I too was thinking about something in a k-frame.I think she would do much better with my sig 229,but she thinks a revolver will be the only thing she can use.

Oh and it's nice to see some one from Alabama,I lived in Phenix City for 15 years,until my dad had a massive heart attack and we moved here to take care of him.
Old September 18, 2009, 11:11 PM   #4
oldkim

Now, go out and have some fun. Go early and let them know you are new.

Contact the club to get the info on what you need to do to get started. Don't rule out USPSA too.

IDPA
http://idpa.com/clublist.asp?state=WV

USPSA (aka IPSC)
http://uspsa.org/dw/clubfinder.php

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org

Last edited by oldkim; September 18, 2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: was ready a prevous post and it was from TN